Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Screen the Strongest link in a 'S' turns out to be the Weakest!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I bought my Model S in 2016, the interior screen layout was near perfect! I was delighted to see such friendly functionality when I test drove this amazing saloon! (As we call them here in the UK) I could easily access my mobile/ cellphone functions to make a cellular call. Then on connection to a commercial number with selection options, I could again easily access to the on-screen numeric key-pad to drill down through this company's menus to select the company's department with which I needed to connect.

Not any more! Release after release, of new screen layouts have made it almost impossible (when driving) to select such functionality. Instead the phone is no longer one press/ key stroke away, but several, requiring one's attention from driving & watching the road ahead to be distracted by the revised & complicated screen layout; which is now far less friendly. It would be so nice not to have to stop & make calls, or fiddle with one's phone when stationary at traffic lights or stop/go traffic queues/ lines.

Also, if you've a sliding sunroof, have you recently tried opening it to 100%? I guarantee that no longer can you drag it from 75% to a 100% aperture! Why? Because the whole screen graphic moves, thus making it far more difficult to achieve the fullest opening! Thereby requiring less eyes on the road - not good!

Lastly, who decided to keep resetting my interior fan? Originally I set my interior fan to say 4/5, only to find some software geek had decided overnight to reset it to zero! Thereby on re-starting a new journey allowing the stuffy air (carbon dioxide) to build-up in the interior, making one feel tired, listless & potentially inattentive & not fully alert when when driving!

The internet radio stations & tuners were far more accessible & friendly in the earlier versions; why their layout was changed is beyond me?

So the 'Functionality,' of this control screen has deteriorated! It's gone in reverse, from bad to worse, as it's now one of the weakest points, no longer the slick control device we previously enjoyed!

I just use the right scroll wheel to make phone calls to frequent contacts. For one-off random phone calls I either use my phone to dial or voice recognition. Voice recognition works well when there is an AT&T cell signal. Siri voice recognition works well when AT&T is absent. I don't think I've ever used the number pad or contacts on the main screen in the car. :D

I just use the right scroll wheel to make phone calls to frequent contacts. For one-off random phone calls I either use my phone to dial or voice recognition. Voice recognition works well when there is an AT&T cell signal. Siri voice recognition works well when AT&T is absent. I don't think I've ever used the number pad or contacts on the main screen in the car. :D

@SSonnentag I've also attempted to use the scroll wheel function, but here in the UK the cellular phone service Tesla uses is not reliable. Sadly, I think they use 'EE' instead of 'O2' which works better here in the hilly North Downs area where I live. So making calls is not an easy function. As for using 'Siri,' I no longer have an iPhone, (to many password changes) I'm now happily using an Android, so that's not an option.