TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The screen went blank/black, how do I bring it back/reboot?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by ranss12, Jul 6, 2018.

1. ranss12

ranss12 Member

Bloomfield, NY (30 miles south of Rochester)
    When I went into the car to open the charge port door, the screen suddenly went blank. I was able to open the charge port door using my iPhone, but now I'm wondering if the screen will still be blank/black tomorrow morning? If it is, I guess I should reboot the system, but I've never done it before and don't know how. Can someone give me some advice?
    Thanks

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Put your foot on the brake and hold down both scroll wheels until the Tesla T comes up on the screen.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

A536D5ED-651D-4A74-8EC9-4DFFE008EC2A.jpeg

• Helpful x 1
  4. pobudz

pobudz Member

You don't need the brake. This works while driving, not that you should do it, but it does work.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. ranss12

ranss12 Member

Bloomfield, NY (30 miles south of Rochester)
    Thanks for the responses. Now I know how to reboot the interface if necessary. The display has worked normally for me after that one discrepancy. I did not need to reboot.

6. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Hmm, I thought I'd added text with that screenshot. Must have accidentally cleared it (was on my iPad at the time).

When my 3 had a problem last month Tesla Support initially had me do the 2-button hold (even though I'd already done it a couple times) a few times. Screen didn't come back so they then had me do the brake + 2-button hold. I think the difference is:
    • 2-button hold = touch screen reboot (can actually be driving for this one)
    • 2-button+brake hold = full system reboot (must be stopped)

• Like x 1
  7. brobison

brobison Member

Useful info -- thanks.

8. Atoms

Atoms Member

When this happened to me, I was able to bring back by touching the screen. Equivalent to a "Power Down"