Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The screen went blank/black, how do I bring it back/reboot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I went into the car to open the charge port door, the screen suddenly went blank. I was able to open the charge port door using my iPhone, but now I'm wondering if the screen will still be blank/black tomorrow morning? If it is, I guess I should reboot the system, but I've never done it before and don't know how. Can someone give me some advice?
Thanks

A536D5ED-651D-4A74-8EC9-4DFFE008EC2A.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
Hmm, I thought I'd added text with that screenshot. Must have accidentally cleared it (was on my iPad at the time).

When my 3 had a problem last month Tesla Support initially had me do the 2-button hold (even though I'd already done it a couple times) a few times. Screen didn't come back so they then had me do the brake + 2-button hold. I think the difference is:
  • 2-button hold = touch screen reboot (can actually be driving for this one)
  • 2-button+brake hold = full system reboot (must be stopped)

Reactions: pobudz
Hmm, I thought I'd added text with that screenshot. Must have accidentally cleared it (was on my iPad at the time).

When my 3 had a problem last month Tesla Support initially had me do the 2-button hold (even though I'd already done it a couple times) a few times. Screen didn't come back so they then had me do the brake + 2-button hold. I think the difference is:
  • 2-button hold = touch screen reboot (can actually be driving for this one)
  • 2-button+brake hold = full system reboot (must be stopped)
Useful info -- thanks.

When I went into the car to open the charge port door, the screen suddenly went blank. I was able to open the charge port door using my iPhone, but now I'm wondering if the screen will still be blank/black tomorrow morning? If it is, I guess I should reboot the system, but I've never done it before and don't know how. Can someone give me some advice?
Thanks
When this happened to me, I was able to bring back by touching the screen. Equivalent to a "Power Down"