Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Seattle Area Needs More Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 334094

We'll we got 2 in WA. I guess my estimate of 7/16 was a bit high..... Maybe we will have 3 by the end of the year (Issaquah). It would be nice to have at least 50% of what was promised. Less than 20% of what was planned for 2018 is a bit surprising. I understand putting tons of resources into CA -- hopefully that push moves us to WA soon. The cool thing is that in a few years (est 4-7), the majority of the US might look like CA!
View attachment 276183
View attachment 334095[/QUOTE]
It's not like they're building all the promised superchargers in California either. They have woefully missed the mark across the board for the 4th or 5th consecutive year. The aspirational supercharger map really is a bait and switch to the unsuspecting first-time Tesla buyer.

If I were to rank need, I would go with Issaquah, Tacoma, Ellensburg (more stalls or 2nd site). The others are inspirational and will definitely be needed in the future, but the first three are needed now. I've been seeing Ellensburg full or ICED for over a year. Many travelers need to charge to 100% in Ellensburg/Centralia to get around the south sound, which further slows station utilization. Issaquah will alleviate some of this, but Tacoma is more strategically located to get over to Bremerton/Hood Canal/Sequim. Olympia is also needed for highway 101 to Sequim, so it might be more useful for travelers than Tacoma, but I'm not really sure of the volume of that route. I'm sure that anything near downtown Seattle will have high utilization, but again, I'm not sure of the volume of folks that go around Seattle on I-405 vs. those who go through I-5 (which I personally stay away from because of my experiences with dead stop travel in those regions). Other areas could go in fairly quickly (existing malls), but some like Totem Lake are limited by someone else's construction schedule. Finally, in two weeks I should know more about the Cle Elum rumor, so stay tuned. Ultimately, Issaquah will definitely help this Fall, but we need at least 3-4 more SCs (ideally 30-50 total stalls) operations before next Spring.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Araman0
I would trade Forks for one in Pullman.
Maybe a large caravan of football fans should do a Tesla roadtrip for the Apple Cup (disclaimer: I'm not a sports fan anymore so I don't know where this is being played this year). If enough people show perhaps Tesla would notice.

Screenshot_20180912-215859_Samsung Internet.jpg

Maybe a large caravan of football fans should do a Tesla roadtrip for the Apple Cup (disclaimer: I'm not a sports fan anymore so I don't know where this is being played this year). If enough people show perhaps Tesla would notice.
I just made the round trip to Pullman. Went to Centralia, Ellensburg, then direct to Pullman. Charged up overnight in Pullman, then blew just enough miles by going to Moscow and back, that I didn't have enough to make it back to Ellensburg, so turned around and went up to Ritzville. All four chargers were full, so had to wait over a half hour for a slot, then an easy drive to Ellensburg, where I charged for an hour and a half (222 miles) MS 70D. Fortunately, I drove in to Ellensburg and got the last open slot. When I left there were four more folks waiting. Baby'd the speed, and was able to make it direct to Aberdeen non stop with 40 miles to spare. LOTS of range anxiety on this trip.

Reactions: Araman0 and Kermee
I just made the round trip to Pullman. Went to Centralia, Ellensburg, then direct to Pullman. Charged up overnight in Pullman, then blew just enough miles by going to Moscow and back, that I didn't have enough to make it back to Ellensburg, so turned around and went up to Ritzville. All four chargers were full, so had to wait over a half hour for a slot, then an easy drive to Ellensburg, where I charged for an hour and a half (222 miles) MS 70D. Fortunately, I drove in to Ellensburg and got the last open slot. When I left there were four more folks waiting. Baby'd the speed, and was able to make it direct to Aberdeen non stop with 40 miles to spare. LOTS of range anxiety on this trip.

Holy crap. That's AMAZING. Ellensburg to Aberdeen is what... About 200 miles plus a mountain pass?

Ocean Shores to Pullman is a particularly awful route given the supercharger holes we still have in WA. How often do you make this trip? If I made it often, I would definitely consider getting a S100D! It would make Ellensburg your only necessary stop in both directions (even if you drive around the Palouse a little before heading back). Of course, Ellensburg is annoying, but only having one stop would be a huge improvement on your detours to Ritzville and Centralia.

Ocean Shores to Pullman is a particularly awful route given the supercharger holes we still have in WA. How often do you make this trip? If I made it often, I would definitely consider getting a S100D! It would make Ellensburg your only necessary stop in both directions (even if you drive around the Palouse a little before heading back). Of course, Ellensburg is annoying, but only having one stop would be a huge improvement on your detours to Ritzville and Centralia.

I like to go to the home football games. There's several destination chargers in Pullman, so over the course of a football game, I can get a good charge. I think I could have made it all the way back to Ellensburg had I topped off after going to Moscow for the night. I did however watch my speed both ways. The difference in time going 67 vs 62 is only 5 minutes in an hour, but it saved me from having to take a 30 minuter detour and another 30 min charge. And there were two of us in the car. Two adult males as cargo!