Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mods:

Could we please have this thread moved so it's findable for both Model S AND Model Y owners?

Thanks!
If you'd like to get a mod's attention, the best way is to use the "Report" function. I happened to see this because I watch this thread.

It's a hard call, because this thread has a number of specifics to the Model X, like part numbers. Some issues are clearly cross-platform with little differentiation (think Autopilot), but something like this is probably better off having separate threads for each particular model. I think if one wants to discuss shudder in Model S, they should start a thread in the Model S section - and similarly for any other model. This thread should really be reserved for discussing the issue on Model X.

Duly noted, and arguably correct, except that the new half-shaft part numbers are also applicable to, and solve the problem for, the Raven Model S's as well.

At twelve pages so far, I'm not sure where this was documented exactly, but if anyone here could confirm this (again) on behalf of your Model S brethren, that would be appreciated.

Once that's done, I hope we might perhaps find a way to at least change the title to include the Model S, even if it's left in this Model X sub-forum?

Thanks!

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Did not get the shudder after service today. Invoice shows the repairs done. Hope it remains shudder free. Have lived with it since 2016.View attachment 521135
My 2016 MX has had 2 replacements under warranty and 1 more when suspension was slightly damaged in an accident.
All 3 were with the newer 1/2 shafts.
In all 3 the shudder went away for a while and returned after 4 to 5,000 miles.
Low suspension setting has always worked as solution.
I now just set “chill” mode and get a 20% discount on my insurance.

Had mine replaced 3 days ago.
I have stellar guys at my service center but still had to push past the “ it’s a known problem “ rhetoric.
Car went from a high performance combustion engine attempting to run on low octane fuel to the silent assassin I used to know. Night and day difference!
So nice to be driving a Tesla again!

Reactions: johnking
I have been through this myself on my ludicrous P100D. The issue is the half shafts moving left/right as they develop play in them due to wear. Design flaw for sure with how the clevis mount is setup. I just have learned to live with it and know it will be there at full charges etc.

hopefully it gets fixed on refresh!!

• Informative
Well, unfortunately about 3,200 miles after the half shaft replacement a slight shudder has returned (suspension on low) which is very similar to how it started in the beginning. For reference I have a May 2019 Raven. The following are the part numbers for the half shafts they installed.
  • Front Halfshaft, Model X, LH, PM(1027113-00-B)
  • Front Halfshaft, Model X, RH, PM(1027119-00-B)
Based on epc.tesla.com it appears the above are the latest half shafts. I'm assuming this means the issue is not resolved unless there are new half shafts that aren't listed.

• Informative
For those that have requested a fix, how much arm twisting do you have to do? When you report the symptoms do they automatically setup the parts for order in advance before the appointment, or do you find yourself having to go in and then argue with them after they look at it and say "oh this is expected behavior", and then later go back for a second appointment to actually get the fix done.

(the reason i ask is it's a 1.5 hour drive to my SC, so always a PITA to take it in)

For me I had to complain for a while.
Their reply was always it's a known problem and eventually they will have a fix.
As my issue became worse I was not enjoying the car at all.
Finally I said that I new several folks on this forum had solved their problems by replacing parts.
They are busy and it took a mechanic all day long, so maybe they were loathe to use manpower like this?
Whatever. It's their job! And it was a great solution.

So let me ask... when we talk about "shudder"... does it include a clunking sound as well? I get a clunk-clunk-clunk when moderately accelerating from stop. Feels almost like something is loose - might even be in the rear. Before I take it in and get a "this is a known issue" - is that a symptom you all are seeing?

June 2020 Raven build, 15,437 miles before you ask :)

I have an Oct 2020 build date Model X and experienced shudder from day-one. It got progressively worse and I took it in for service. The front halfshafts were replaced with the 2nd Gen parts listed below. Maybe it's just my per perception, but beyond eliminating the shudder, the car seems to now drive much smoother at every speed. Very pleased.
  • Front Halfshaft, Model X, LH, PM(1027113-00-B)
  • Front Halfshaft, Model X, RH, PM(1027119-00-B)

• Funny
Reactions: CrewKize
So let me ask... when we talk about "shudder"... does it include a clunking sound as well? I get a clunk-clunk-clunk when moderately accelerating from stop. Feels almost like something is loose - might even be in the rear. Before I take it in and get a "this is a known issue" - is that a symptom you all are seeing?

June 2020 Raven build, 15,437 miles before you ask :)
That is not the same thing. The shudder is a vibration from the front of the car that can be felt in the cabin. It's relatively inaudible but you can definitely feel it. It's also reproducible under acceleration in certain speed ranges.

That is not the same thing. The shudder is a vibration from the front of the car that can be felt in the cabin. It's relatively inaudible but you can definitely feel it. It's also reproducible under acceleration in certain speed ranges.

Thank you my friend! I don’t feel anything in the wheel but you can certainly hear it. Definitely a problem. Scheduling service now.

Reactions: ohmman
My new Model x, delivered on 18/12/2020, is having the same issue. When acceleration I hear this strange noise coming from the drive train in the front. Not yet really heavy shudder but I have a service appointment next tuesday so I'll hope they are going to fix it. 4750km driven in total since the delivery ...

• Informative

Well, may not have been the same issue but looks like it was the same fix. Both halfshafts replaced. Picking it up tomorrow so will let you know how it feels.

Reactions: ohmman