Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if I’m in right spot. Anybody feel the new 2020 model x “Raven” Rides/drives shitty?

I had over 100k miles on my 2015 85D, loved the way went down the road. Have had this x since December and feel it just doesn’t go down the road nice, not a confident drive. Sure it’s a performance and goes like a mad gorilla but if your just driving it’s work, feel like she just won’t track down the road straight. Anybody else feel this way? I have a service appointment next week to trying to have some the wind noise and rattles taken care off. I asked them to have an alignment. We will see if it gets done. And yep mines had the shutter since I left the parking lot.

Not sure if I’m in right spot. Anybody feel the new 2020 model x “Raven” Rides/drives shitty?

I had over 100k miles on my 2015 85D, loved the way went down the road. Have had this x since December and feel it just doesn’t go down the road nice, not a confident drive. Sure it’s a performance and goes like a mad gorilla but if your just driving it’s work, feel like she just won’t track down the road straight. Anybody else feel this way? I have a service appointment next week to trying to have some the wind noise and rattles taken care off. I asked them to have an alignment. We will see if it gets done. And yep mines had the shutter since I left the parking lot.

Alignment is critical. Unfortunately they do not perform a precision alignment at factory. At delivery I noticed very quickly there was a very slight drift to the left. Had an alignment done in warranty. After the alignment my X (not a raven) feels like it is on rails and has ever since. Don’t know if you can still get a warranty covered alignment after six months or not. But highly recommend, even if you have to pay for it. It will also improve your energy consumption.

I’ll let you know. Hopefully there is a loner, told them I wouldn’t be dropping the vehicle off for uber credits.

Alignment is critical. Unfortunately they do not perform a precision alignment at factory. At delivery I noticed very quickly there was a very slight drift to the left. Had an alignment done in warranty. After the alignment my X (not a raven) feels like it is on rails and has ever since. Don’t know if you can still get a warranty covered alignment after six months or not. But highly recommend, even if you have to pay for it. It will also improve your energy consumption.

by the way, it's not only X'es suffering from this problem. I drive a raven performance model S and have the same problem, even after having the axles replaced once, the shudder came back after a week or so ...
true, my experience goes all the way back to 1969 when I found out that one of the 3 motor mounts on my Chevy broke from apparent too much torque from the engine. I must have had a heavy foot in those days.

Just to follow up my post (post #52), I caved and went to the SC. Attached are the repairs, hopefully this helps somebody.

Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.22.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.22.38 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-07 at 9.22.56 PM.png

No further clicking noise when turning at low speeds. No further "shudder." I'm at 11k miles. Let's see how long it lasts.

December 2019 Model X Dual Motor. During the past week, the shudder has become very noticeable and I am not punching it. Normal acceleration (well, I don't drive it like a granny, but it is the way I have driven every car I have owned over the past 50 years). Just went over 11K miles.

Also there is a lot of road noise on the standard Continental 20" tires. When I run over fresh asphalt, it is as quiet as it can be. Is that a tire thing or what?

December 2019 Model X Dual Motor. During the past week, the shudder has become very noticeable and I am not punching it. Normal acceleration (well, I don't drive it like a granny, but it is the way I have driven every car I have owned over the past 50 years). Just went over 11K miles.

Also there is a lot of road noise on the standard Continental 20" tires. When I run over fresh asphalt, it is as quiet as it can be. Is that a tire thing or what?

Seems like others have mentioned in tire related posts that the 20" contis are loud. Am looking to replace with Nexen N'Fera RU5 265/45R20 108V XL BSW Touring tire.

No idea. I haven't seen part number LHS Mount Assy, Raven (1134682-00-C) referenced before so crossing my fingers. I have read about the D revision for the half shafts but it appears these have failed for some folks so I don't really care if they used the B version.

This is good news. Sounds like it’s time to schedule an appointment. Thanks for the info!

I was giving similar response. Makes me feel like I bought a my new x from a buy here pay here lot with “sold as is” in the window. Should of kept
My 2015 model s. Sure could trade it in take a hit for something else but as Tesla knows right now there isn’t any real competition for the X even with the flaws.

I just dropped off my Raven Model X for the shudder issue. The tech test drove it and said it wasn't that bad and they wouldn't fix it at this time. The bad news is that he said it was a problem with the design and that there would probably never be a permanent fix.

Very upset to hear this is now Tesla's position especially after promising a fix was in the works for so long. There needs to be pressure on Tesla in some form: class action,recall, media attention or a commitment to fix this for the life of the car. It's even worse when considering that the issue is still present in Raven Models with a redesigned suspension. We can't have Tesla treat customers like Apple back when Steve Jobs told people "you're holding it wrong". Just like the model 3 owner who launched a class action lawsuit for paint issues further escalation is needed. This carefree attitude is also demonstrated by some of the Model Y delivery defect posts showing numerous unacceptable issues, quality control seems to be lacking. Hopefully competition from Porsche, Rivian etc forces Tesla to up it's game and not take their customers for granted.

Last edited:
I just dropped off my Raven Model X for the shudder issue. The tech test drove it and said it wasn't that bad and they wouldn't fix it at this time. The bad news is that he said it was a problem with the design and that there would probably never be a permanent fix.
So, is the shudder harmful? Can it cause problems in out-years? Usually a vibration or a noise are indications of problems and problems left unsolved usually become bigger issues.

Very upset to hear this is now Tesla's position especially after promising a fix was in the works for so long. There needs to be pressure on Tesla in some form: class action,recall, media attention or a commitment to fix this for the life of the car. It's even worse when considering that the issue is still present in Raven Models with a redesigned suspension. We can't have Tesla treat customers like Apple back when Steve Jobs told people "you're holding it wrong". Just like the model 3 owner who launched a class action lawsuit for paint issues further escalation is needed. This carefree attitude is also demonstrated by some of the Model Y delivery defect posts showing numerous unacceptable issues, quality control seems to be lacking. Hopefully competition from Porsche, Rivian etc forces Tesla to up it's game and not take their customers for granted.

Tweet Elon or the higher ups about it, that's the best way to get a response. However if there is no fix then there is no fix. If the local service center does not have a fix from HQ then I am not sure how you would deal with it. You could always escalate it to HQ.