Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That sounds like an acknowledgement of the problem by Tesla. Has anyone seen any other indication that they know there is a problem?
I don't think there's going to be a permanent fix beyond the TSB that has already been issued. Tesla replaced mine last week while I was having MCU2/HW3 installed. They'd been replaced previously and when the shudder returned a year or so after that, I agreed to wait until an official fix was released (the TSB that replaces the clevis mount). This was the first time I'd been back in since, so had them take care of it.

I'd been in always low since the first replacement and while the shudder wasn't bad in a straight line, it was quite pronounced when accelerating out of a corner.

No push back from the SC whatsoever.

Mine too, since maybe 9k miles. Now at 12K. I signed it up for a service appointment, but when I spoke with the tech (beforehand, luckily), he said they were aware of the issue, but had not figured out how to fix it yet. Can't tell if it's getting worse or not. I hve not tried it in Low or Very Low, but as we live on a dirt road I am not minded to drive at those heights except when it lowers automatically. Nothing to do but wait and hope it doesn't disable the car I guess.

I’ll be patient and wait for a fix but my patience will necessarily be limited by my state’s Lemon Law terms (24 mos, 18k miles). I don’t want to be stuck with a defective vehicle so if a fix to this design defect doesn’t emerge during that window, I’ll pursue the Lemon Law route. If I have trouble with that because they refuse to look at it any further, I’ll be the lead plaintiff in a class action (I’m retired so I have plenty of free time to pursue that).

Reactions: 5JMJ
I am at 6K miles, 2020 Raven. Model delivered in 12/2019. SC ordered the parts for mine and I had it repaired earlier this week. This is the details on the bill. Remains to be seen if it will stick..and I have not pushed it too much yet - but its sure all smooth again on rapid acceleration.

upload_2020-7-10_13-40-15.jpeg

I am at 6K miles, 2020 Raven. Model delivered in 12/2019. SC ordered the parts for mine and I had it repaired earlier this week. This is the details on the bill. Remains to be seen if it will stick..and I have not pushed it too much yet - but its sure all smooth again on rapid acceleration.

View attachment 562861

my build is 01/2020.. when did you first notice the shudder problems?

Mine is going in next week. How bad was yours and did you get any pushback on fixing it?

At first, they said no more repairs until there was a permanent fix. The shudder got so bad at 30 mph that it was un-driveable so I opened up another strongly worded incident and they performed the axle replacement.

Note, this is the second time the axles have been replaced on this car.

Reactions: CaptainX
At 10k miles on my 2020 MX Raven Long Range Plus, I began experiencing the dreaded front end shudder when accelerating through ~30 mph to ~40 mph (suspension set to Standard). I then went on a 4.5k road trip where the front end shudder continued to worsen.

After I submitted a service request, I set the suspension to LOW (per this forum) and the shudder disappeared. The Mobile Ranger drove the car (suspension back to Standard) and said he felt the shudder thru his entire acceleration range. He recommended that I schedule a Service Center visit to have both left and right front half shafts replaced. The SC replaced them this week (in 3 hours) at 16k miles (under warranty). The SC tech said this is their first 2020 MX where they had to replace the front half shaft(s).

I now keep the suspension set to Low where the efficiency has improved (expected) and the car feels "peppier" (surprised!). I am still glad I bought the X. I will be taking another long road trip soon and looking for to the drive.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I now keep the suspension set to Low where the efficiency has improved (expected) and the car feels "peppier" (surprised!). I am still glad I bought the X. I will be taking another long road trip soon and looking for to the drive.

Enjoy your road trip! I did one from Texas to California on Low, and probably spent some time before on Low too. By the time I got back, the insides of my rears tires were dangerously bald. Please do keep an eye on yours.

Nowadays I ride on standard and simply don't floor it like crazy.