Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The real question is why are we all accepting this, and what can we do about it? There's literally thousands of $100k+ cars riding around with an obvious mechanical issue.

Are we all just so jaded by Tesla fandom that we just roll over and take it?

Should we be emailing tesla support en masse? The SC folks are helpful, but are as clueless as we are.

So frustrating.

The real question is why are we all accepting this, and what can we do about it? There's literally thousands of $100k+ cars riding around with an obvious mechanical issue.

Are we all just so jaded by Tesla fandom that we just roll over and take it?

Should we be emailing tesla support en masse? The SC folks are helpful, but are as clueless as we are.

So frustrating.
As the lowest sold car by volume, I don't see anything that the Tesla community could do that hasn't already been done that would get the ears of Elon Musk.

It will probably take some negative publicity that gets picked up by the mainstream media to get any action. Either a class-action lawsuit or perhaps a progressive state AG prohibiting the sale or registration of cars with a designed-in defect would probably do it.

My 2019 X-LR Raven had a heavy thump in the rear motor when you gently accelerate for <1 second then let off the pedal. Thump-thump. The service dept. had 3 techs get in the car while I reproduced the noise several times. When I picked up the car, they told me it was normal because I was using the Hold mode of stopping. Their solution: Don't use that mode! This is my only experience with service and I'm saddened that Tesla does not seem to care to fix my issue. It does it less now so I think it is related to programming. Perhaps they will fully fix it with software.

I also have the front acceleration shudder issue. I have not taken it to Tesla yet but will schedule soon (it's 6 hours round trip for service). I hope they will fix it and not pass over the problem like they did for the thumping noise.

Has anyone made a list of people or counted the numbers of complaints about the shudder issue? Is there somewhere that I can add my name to a list of people with this issue?

Larry

I find it hard to understand how Hill Hold could do that. That uses the parking brake I believe. If it were true, every X would do that, and I've never noticed it. Weird that it's only gentle acceleration and I can understand how they'd be scratching their heads!

Update. Mine has now progressed to where I get the shudder on low anytime I accelerate at 75kw or more. I’ll schedule another service appointment but if they balk at replacing the driveshafts, I’ll go the lemon law route. In NY, if the manufacturer refuses to fix a defect, that’s enough for a lemon law buyback.

Just bought 2020 (12/19) Model X used with 11k on it through Tesla and it also has this shudder problem. I took it to Columbus, OH service and got the same responses I am reading. "It is a known issue and there is no current fix except to keep it on low or very low suspension settings."

I live in the country and do not like the ride as well at low on these bumpy roads. I am even having some shudder appearing when autopilot is increasing speed in the 35-55 mph realm.

I really hope for a fix soon!!!!

I wonder if they fixed the shudder issue already, with the new Plaid S (cool car btw) you would expect that this rips the suspension into "pieces" in a few seconds.... if this is not fixed. But perhaps it does not have the air suspension... Anybody got this fixed already?

My 2019 X-LR Raven had a heavy thump in the rear motor when you gently accelerate for <1 second then let off the pedal. Thump-thump. The service dept. had 3 techs get in the car while I reproduced the noise several times. When I picked up the car, they told me it was normal because I was using the Hold mode of stopping. Their solution: Don't use that mode! This is my only experience with service and I'm saddened that Tesla does not seem to care to fix my issue. It does it less now so I think it is related to programming. Perhaps they will fully fix it with software.

I also have the front acceleration shudder issue. I have not taken it to Tesla yet but will schedule soon (it's 6 hours round trip for service). I hope they will fix it and not pass over the problem like they did for the thumping noise.

Has anyone made a list of people or counted the numbers of complaints about the shudder issue? Is there somewhere that I can add my name to a list of people with this issue?

Larry

I have this issue too and was told the same thing by service to not use hold mode

Tesla just fixed my shudder problem on my raven X LR. Initially they stated they were going to replace the axles, but the invoice states only the half shafts were replaced. So I’m not sure if both the axles and half shafts were replaced and the axles weren’t noted or if only the half shafts were done. In any case the severe shudder and grinding is gone!

The service experience was also much better this time. They actually fixed all of the problems I brought up to include alignment issues. I went into this service expecting a battle and was very happy to see them really work to fix my issues. Way to go Tesla on improving service.

Tesla just fixed my shudder problem on my raven X LR. Initially they stated they were going to replace the axles, but the invoice states only the half shafts were replaced. So I’m not sure if both the axles and half shafts were replaced and the axles weren’t noted or if only the half shafts were done. In any case the severe shudder and grinding is gone!

The service experience was also much better this time. They actually fixed all of the problems I brought up to include alignment issues. I went into this service expecting a battle and was very happy to see them really work to fix my issues. Way to go Tesla on improving service.
I thought the axles and half shafts were the same thing on these vehicles. I just had mine done this week too and the invoice shows “half shaft” on the parts description

I just bought a new X LR+ last week. After 500 mile break in I wanted to test full acceleration today, I floored it. from 30 mph in "very low" suspension and felt a minor shudder. The car was not cold but also not hot. I am disappointed, but I knew this was likely at some point. Tesla clearly hasn't solved this problem, and it may not be solvable with the current design. I added it to my due bill (issues at delivery) that will be evaluated by service next week. I doubt they will do anything nor would I want them to.

Update on my original start-topic in this Thread:

I had both front drive-shafts replaced yesterday. Car has a little over 24000km on it since January and it was not worth changing them until now because they would simply mount the old, flawed design which shudders just the same. Waste of time and effort.

Until now !
Tesla just released a re-designed shaft. It comes from another manufacturer the SC tech-boss* told me.

Drove a couple of hundred miles since yesterday, occasionally giving the car the beans to an extent I never dared before (because I felt the car would shake itself apart). Smooth as butter!

Conclusion: RAVEN MX SHUDDER PROBLEM SOLVED.

I'm really happy with the result. The new version of the shaft seem to work very well so far. Standard, High, Low, does not matter. All smooth. No vibrations what so ever.

Of course, I can't tell if they will hold up in the long run. But they re-designed the shafts (Raven X already has the re-designed clevis-mount that fixes the issue on pre-Raven X cars) so only time and lots of miles will tell.

So, folks with affected Raven MX's, start making those appointments and make sure to ask for the new version (to avoid them grabbing the old version of the shelf...)

*Chief Technician of the Tesla Service Center in Cham, Switzerland.

Last edited:
Update on my original start-topic in this Thread:

I had both front drive-shafts replaced yesterday. Car has a little over 24000km on it since January and it was not worth changing them until now because they would simply mount the old, flawed design which shudders just the same. Waste of time and effort.

Until now !
Tesla just released a re-designed shaft. It comes from another manufacturer the SC tech-boss* told me.

Drove a couple of hundred miles since yesterday, occasionally giving the car the beans to an extent I never dared before (because I felt the car would shake itself apart). Smooth as butter!

Conclusion: RAVEN MX SHUDDER PROBLEM SOLVED.

I'm really happy with the result. The new version of the shaft seem to work very well so far. Standard, High, Low, does not matter. All smooth. No vibrations what so ever.

Of course, I can't tell if they will hold up in the long run. But they re-designed the shafts (Raven X already has the re-designed clevis-mount that fixes the issue on pre-Raven X cars) so only time and lots of miles will tell.

So, folks with affected Raven MX's, start making those appointments and make sure to ask for the new version (to avoid them grabbing the old version of the shelf...)

*Chief Technician of the Tesla Service Center in Cham, Switzerland.

Do you have a new part number to share?

I don't understand why you think a new manufacturer wold fiks this problem?
It's a design problem. That's why tesla lowering peoples model x.
They need to move the drive unit.
Shudder will be back. But if they lowered your car, it will be fine for a long time