Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the shudder happen only when you tow or does it happen during regular drives with no tow load ?
My own experience in a 2017 X with 50K miles and original half shafts is that when towing my 2,300 lb travel trailer the shudder is more noticeable compared to when not towing, though in both uses cases I have to accelerate pretty briskly for it to be detectable.

My shudder is only noticeable between about 34-38mph and has been unchanged for tens of thousands of miles. I haven’t found it enough of a problem to bother with taking the car in for service. Obviously others have had a worse experience with the issue.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: johnking
Does the shudder happen only when you tow or does it happen during regular drives with no tow load ? My MX LR+ is due for delivery in Dec and I have to think twice now.
It happens without a load as well, but not as noticeably, because I keep the suspension in low. When in standard height, it's quite bad in the same speed ranges.
My shudder is only noticeable between about 34-38mph and has been unchanged for tens of thousands of miles.
This is interesting, since the speed range is effectively the same as mine.

• Informative
I’ve had the shudder problem within my first 15k miles. Had the SC replace some motor mounts as a band-aid approach. And then later, after multiple complaints they went ahead and did the full “fix”.. okay fair enough. About 1k miles later it came back and now it’s back even worse. The vehicle has a constant buzz at anything about 30k. Even on a steady speed without acceleration

Thanks @ecarfan and @ohmman for the responses. I am test driving a MX LR+ tomorrow. Will check to see if there is shudder in the speeds you mention.

The test drive was good. Did not notice the shudder when I tried going at a gradual speed at 35, then 40, 45 etc at a steady pace. It was a MX that had abt 215 miles. So, it was pretty smooth. I tried being in standard , low suspension to test it out. As most of you have stated, probably the shudder sets in after a few thousand miles !

In freeway speeds (~70 to 74 MPH), the X vibrates more than my 2017 MS. I was getting a lot of feedback in the steering wheel as it vibrated. The owner advisor said that it is normal for a Model X.

The new adaptive air suspension is superb. I have air suspension in my 2017 MS. But the new suspension is crazy good and smooth.

Reactions: ohmman
Can someone define Shudder?
I have had a grinding noise daily for the last 4 months that is brought on by brisk acceleration.
Super annoying. Service says that there is no fix.
Sounds a lot like having a high performance BMW or Porsche that requires the highest possible octane gas ....and then filling up with absolute cheapest petrol. In other words the sound mimics engine knock.
Is this an aspect of "Shudder" or something different?

I've got a 2020 MX LR w/ 22" wheels that has developed a case of the shudders on acceleration. I was going to post on here about it and found this long thread going so I see it's not unique to me. And we are not talking fast acceleration, just moderate to pull into traffic. Time to make a service appointment.

Please post your date of manufacture (it's on your VIN sticker at the front door area).

And how it's resolved.

Thx.

Reactions: ScottFLA
It happens without a load as well, but not as noticeably, because I keep the suspension in low. When in standard height, it's quite bad in the same speed ranges.

This is interesting, since the speed range is effectively the same as mine.

i had exactly these symptoms at these speed ranges in my Sep 2019 MX LR. Started developing at about 3,000 miles driven. The first 12,000 miles or so I was towing for between 9,000 and 10,000 of those miles.

Tesla service replaced front axles (nov 2019) and problem was gone for a few thousand miles.

replaced again (feb 2020) and fixed until recently. problem is now resurfacing (39,000 miles). Haven’t towed since dec 2019.

now operating vehicle on “low” suspension mode and shudder is only present under moderate or hard acceleration. Very noticeable even under mild acceleration with “standard” suspension height. Which means I can’t tow, which is the reason I sold my S and bought the X.

Tesla claiming there is no solution is simply Tesla stating they are unwilling to solve the problem. I sure hope a class action lawsuit isn’t needed to get the company to do the right thing and find a fix and retrofit it.

This is very, very disappointing.

i had exactly these symptoms at these speed ranges in my Sep 2019 MX LR. Started developing at about 3,000 miles driven. The first 12,000 miles or so I was towing for between 9,000 and 10,000 of those miles.

Tesla service replaced front axles (nov 2019) and problem was gone for a few thousand miles.

replaced again (feb 2020) and fixed until recently. problem is now resurfacing (39,000 miles). Haven’t towed since dec 2019.

now operating vehicle on “low” suspension mode and shudder is only present under moderate or hard acceleration. Very noticeable even under mild acceleration with “standard” suspension height. Which means I can’t tow, which is the reason I sold my S and bought the X.

Tesla claiming there is no solution is simply Tesla stating they are unwilling to solve the problem. I sure hope a class action lawsuit isn’t needed to get the company to do the right thing and find a fix and retrofit it.

FWIW, there’s a group on FB devoted to this problem and a legal firm has joined the group and is looking for members (presumably to join the class).

Please post your date of manufacture (it's on your VIN sticker at the front door area).

And how it's resolved.

Thx.

When I originally made the service appointment in the app it automated a quick appointment for service at my house. Once a human read it is changed to a service center 36 miles away, which is fine. Service appointment in 1 week on 11/17 and I'll update with how it went and if issue resolved. I think we can all agree a 100K car shouldn't shutter like that on acceleration.

I gather that your local SC is misinformed?

Others here have reported success with the latest half-shaft replacements (new source for Tesla?) and that the repairs seem to now last.

Why not just forward the new part numbers to your local SC and ask them why they don't know about them, and that you'd like them installed ASAP?

• Informative
Reactions: 5JMJ
I gather that your local SC is misinformed?

Others here have reported success with the latest half-shaft replacements (new source for Tesla?) and that the repairs seem to now last.

Why not just forward the new part numbers to your local SC and ask them why they don't know about them, and that you'd like them installed ASAP?
Interesting enough, the local SC does not have the new part numbers in their system and cannot order them nor are they aware of a fix..

Just got my 2020 XLR back from service (~9600 miles) to try and address a mild case of "shudder" as well as a spring release/binding noise when first accelerating rapidly from a stop. They looked and confirmed both problems but stated that engineering is working on part revisions and recommend against replacing with existing parts now. They reiterated the car is safe to drive for the time being. They also said they don't expect to have proactive outreach to me when the part becomes available, so I need to check back in (although the SA told me he would do his best to inform us when an update is available).

Not great! I'll monitor updates on things by subscribing to this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: johnking and ohmman