Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got mine replaced earlier this month (2016 P90). They used the same parts from the first time they fixed it feb 2020

HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT(1027111-00-D)
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT(1027115-00-D)
CLVS ASSY,DBL ISO,LHS MTR MNT,SDU-F(1055366-00-H)

it’s getting a new front drive unit installed this week, so maybe they’ll update the left half shaft

What is interesting that the test drive before repair should be performed on very high. In my case the shudder is very annoying

I think the interesting part is that the half shafts require an extensive break-in procedure:

NOTE: Newly installed halfshafts might generate excessive NVH (scraping/rattling noises and excess vibrations) until properly broken in. Do not return the vehicle to the customer until the halfshafts have been broken in.

Up to seven 100% throttle 0-50MPH launches. (At or above a 70% SoC.)

I'd love to see pictures of these new halfshafts...

Does this mean does they will maybe fix my shudder now? In the past they have said it's not a warrantable item.
Some posters reported getting various forms of pushback on getting the halfshafts replaced because the problem would reoccur, and that engineering was working on a fix. This TSB has new part numbers, covers all model years (pre refresh), and has an extensive verification and break in procedure, including an explicit note to run the car in STANDARD for verification after replacement. It certainly looks like the “fix”

Reactions: MTOman
Kinda fits this thread, kinda doesn't.
I drag race our P100D Model X very frequently at a local drag strip. Everytime I go, the battery is at 95% in Ludicrous+ mode with Launch control, batteries heated. The car ALWAYS ran an 11.30 quarter mile time at 118mph.
I had the shudder fix done on my P100D November 26, 2019
Now my Model X runs 12.03 at 103mph after the shudder fix (also had an MCU2 installed, but I doubt that has anything to do with the acceleration difference).
You can see on the timeslips (reaction time doesn't matter), the car is the same for the first 330' of the race and slows down from 331' and on. Losing 8 miles per hour in the ⅛ mile is HUGE......

Attachments

• SlowTesla.jpeg
    SlowTesla.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 107
Kinda fits this thread, kinda doesn't.
I drag race our P100D Model X very frequently at a local drag strip. Everytime I go, the battery is at 95% in Ludicrous+ mode with Launch control, batteries heated. The car ALWAYS ran an 11.30 quarter mile time at 118mph.
I had the shudder fix done on my P100D November 26, 2019
Now my Model X runs 12.03 at 103mph after the shudder fix (also had an MCU2 installed, but I doubt that has anything to do with the acceleration difference).
You can see on the timeslips (reaction time doesn't matter), the car is the same for the first 330' of the race and slows down from 331' and on. Losing 8 miles per hour in the ⅛ mile is HUGE......
@verygreen mentioned he saw shudder mitigation logic in firmware and there have been other threads about people perceiving slow downs. It could be your replacement has started to get spalling producing NVH and then the mitigation code is triggered which is slowing you down. I take it you got 11.30 after the replacement in 2019?

• Informative
Reactions: X Fan
I don't hard accelerate, and don't even have a performance variant. My trouble is that I tow, and I think that mimics some of the geometry that exists when under hard acceleration - weight pushing on the back tends to raise the front a tad bit, even with weight distribution. They can slow me down all they want and I'm still going to feel this at 37 mph. I feel it when climbing steep hills as well, I'm assuming for the same reason - weight is pushed towards the back of the vehicle.

I don't hard accelerate, and don't even have a performance variant. My trouble is that I tow, and I think that mimics some of the geometry that exists when under hard acceleration - weight pushing on the back tends to raise the front a tad bit, even with weight distribution. They can slow me down all they want and I'm still going to feel this at 37 mph. I feel it when climbing steep hills as well, I'm assuming for the same reason - weight is pushed towards the back of the vehicle.
Won’t be a problem when you get your R1T

Reactions: ohmman

You also require more torque in all of those situations and that translates to more force on the CV/shaft.

Reactions: ohmman
@verygreen mentioned he saw shudder mitigation logic in firmware and there have been other threads about people perceiving slow downs. It could be your replacement has started to get spalling producing NVH and then the mitigation code is triggered which is slowing you down. I take it you got 11.30 after the replacement in 2019?
The 11.30s were before Tesla attempted to fix the shudder....

I just brought mine in for something else today and I mentioned the service bulletin and they completed it on our 2019 Raven without doing any road testing or even asking me a question about it. It was all touchless so I didn't see anyone at all anyway. Afterwards, there were no noticeable creaks or noises and the driver seat was adjusted so they likely did the 'break in' exercise.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 2.05.08 PM.png

I just brought mine in for something else today and I mentioned the service bulletin and they completed it on our 2019 Raven without doing any road testing or even asking me a question about it. It was all touchless so I didn't see anyone at all anyway. Afterwards, there were no noticeable creaks or noises and the driver seat was adjusted so they likely did the 'break in' exercise.

That's cool that they had the parts available. I have a service appt scheduled in mid June. So far no parts update emails, so I had been wondering if it might get pushed. I guess it just hasn't been reviewed yet.