Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update version 2021.44.30.8 from a few weeks ago gave me a bug where Automatic Lowering was set to Never, but was lowering itself from Standard to Low by location (freeway). I did this for a few hundred miles and reported the bug a few times. Last week's update (version 2022.4.5) has fixed the bug. I'm about 10K miles since the May 2021 bulletin shafts (and clevis) and no shudder.
Thanks for reporting that bug has been fixed. I guess FSD beta testers will have to wait a bit longer, because 2021.44.30.21 still exhibits this behavior when automatic lowering is set to none or even 100 MPH.

Reactions: Aaron14902
Can I ask a silly question here? Does the shudder eventually cause mechanical failure or is it just an annoying noise? I'm still new to this forum and if I asked this question in the Bimmfest forum, I'm sure I would be roasted. But, thankfully, I no longer concern myself with people's opinions of me.

Can I ask a silly question here? Does the shudder eventually cause mechanical failure or is it just an annoying noise? I'm still new to this forum and if I asked this question in the Bimmfest forum, I'm sure I would be roasted. But, thankfully, I no longer concern myself with people's opinions of me.
Well it certainly can’t be good for the motors.

Reactions: Dcam and Aaron14902
I had an E90 325i stripper and yes, they'll crucify you over there. The half shaft ball races into the motor wear unevenly causing the shudder. The clevis mount is what helps alleviate motor vibration. I haven't read anything on mechanical failure. I have friends with a 2016 and 2017 that have just lived with the shudder with no mechanical failure.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I had an E90 325i stripper and yes, they'll crucify you over there. The half shaft ball races into the motor wear unevenly causing the shudder. The clevis mount is what helps alleviate motor vibration. I haven't read anything on mechanical failure. I have friends with a 2016 and 2017 that have just lived with the shudder with no mechanical failure.
Ok that makes sense!

Yes, I imagine if you floor it enough that it can damage the motors.

Metal fatigue on control arms and bushings.

A lot of these folks had the shudder.

• Informative
This is one of the issues holding me back from buying a model X. However, I have been researching aftermarket control/lowering arms by Ntuitve. Currently out of stock until July. It's a bit worrisome to be thinking about a potential fix on a vehicle that I don't even own yet.

Reactions: Dcam
This is one of the issues holding me back from buying a model X. However, I have been researching aftermarket control/lowering arms by Ntuitve. Currently out of stock until July. It's a bit worrisome to be thinking about a potential fix on a vehicle that I don't even own yet.
There are a couple of alternatives, but they don't have complete sets like N2itive:

Annoying? Sure, a bit. I had mine replaced once at about 26k miles. Now crossing 40k miles this week and it hasn’t come back at all. If it does and I’m out of warranty, I’ll get the Ntuitive kit. But there’s no way I’d let it stop me from loving the X.

For example, I couldn’t do this without it …. (Current situation!)

Attachments

• 40D994B2-ED2C-4147-BAFD-4CB3AEED6C83.jpeg
    40D994B2-ED2C-4147-BAFD-4CB3AEED6C83.jpeg
    610.4 KB · Views: 155
I am already factoring this "mod/repair" into the purchase price. Patiently waiting for one of my cars to sell and then will install home charger, and then hopefully get an X. It looks like used X's drop in price until they are sold on the website. I agree @dmurphy , I won't let one design flaw outweigh all of the other amazing qualities the X has.

Smart, without free supercharging I would not have tolerated maintaining ownership of my model X.

I am already factoring this "mod/repair" into the purchase price. Patiently waiting for one of my cars to sell and then will install home charger, and then hopefully get an X. It looks like used X's drop in price until they are sold on the website. I agree @dmurphy , I won't let one design flaw outweigh all of the other amazing qualities the X has.

The X has plenty of other issues once you resolve that.

Just got a fix for shudder issue on my 2020 X LRPlus with 33,000kms on it.
Attached is a repair sheet with apparently new HalfShafts.

After drive home seems the shudder is pretty much gone. A slight consistent harmonic vibration “hum” which apparently sounds unsolvable persists at all speeds and driving modes.

Attachments

• C828B81B-EA89-4403-BC5D-E74369D025A5.jpeg
    C828B81B-EA89-4403-BC5D-E74369D025A5.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: Dzsink
Just got a fix for shudder issue on my 2020 X LRPlus with 33,000kms on it.
Attached is a repair sheet with apparently new HalfShafts.

After drive home seems the shudder is pretty much gone. A slight consistent harmonic vibration “hum” which apparently sounds unsolvable persists at all speeds and driving modes.
This resembles my experience as well. The «hum» is on acceleration and most noticable on good road conditions?

This resembles my experience as well. The «hum» is on acceleration and most noticable on good road conditions?
Yes, It feels like the consistent low level vibration is if the wheel balance is just slightly off. I balanced the wheels 2 times and aligned the car 3 times over with no resolution of the hum.
Im having more and more thoughts its the front motor, but Tesla would never admit it and just change the motor.
Its Definitely a Raven issue, I have loads of friends with pre-Raven X's and after they all go for their annual Shutter service their cars all ride silky smooth, even though they don't have Adaptive Air.

Oh and just to confirm the hum is gone when the car is coasting (not Regening) at the sweet-spot, so definitely has to do with front engine under throttle of any sort.