Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The shudder problem: Current status (end of February 2020)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this was a long read... :) n pardon my long post
unfortunately my X has the shudder, still has original 102711(1/5)-00-B axles..
my understanding is that there's still no real fix? even the newest axles shudder for some ppl
Has anyone taken apart old vs new axles to see the design changes? they all look the same on the outside...
I seriously wonder if they just changing numbers for marketing purposes to make customers feel better or maybe just grease change lol

1665260206359.png

1665260161410.png

1665260237645.png

Correction, he got the side wrong, tripod/Y joint is by the drive unit.

The issue is the half shafts moving left/right as they develop play in them due to wear.
Not sure what u meant but the way u worded is wrong... Half shaft move left/right by design, along the splines n tripod joint.
where u don't want play is in rotational axis between joints n shaft

Pretty good technical explanation of tire wear and shudder problems. fast forward to ~22 minute mark for shudder discussion

i personally can't stand these kind of videos, 40min of talking lol. This could be covered in 5min with nice visual aid of actual car components

Here’s the thing that’s baffling to me. Tesla obviously knows about this design flaw, it’s been around for years and they continue to make warranty repairs to deal with the recurring problem. N2itive, an aftermarket company, has a solution, or at least a mitigation, which lowers the car to prevent half-shaft destruction, in combination with adjustable camber and toe arms to prevent premature rear tire wear due to riding lower.

Tesla is obviously aware of this fix. So, why have they not simply engineered a Tesla solution to the problem? I can’t imagine why, unless by offering a fix they set themselves up for a massive fleet-wide upgrade. But, even if that’s the case, you’d think Tesla would care about fixing a design flaw for their customers, rather than just perpetuating the problem with every new car sold.
I think just not enough cars come back for this so its not worth it for them..
Also, i think Tesla didn't actually engineered anything n just took already good axle design found in many cars n used it in theirs but didn't account for high angles...
I despise companies like N2itive that chargers ~$400 for $20 dollar part... Those lowering links are not magic or made of gold lol

Yeah they call it an NVH issue. The noise comes from spalling on the raceway inside the Rzeppa style CV joint, so when the balls travel over the damaged area at high speeds it vibrates the entire thing creating noise and when bad enough shaking.
I'd love to see one taken apart from the car with shudder issue...
My bet is on the tripod joint.

I think the source of the trouble is the tripod joint near the gearbox. GKN has a solution for SUVs with higher angles with 2 more or less normal cv-joints and a ball spline for axial movements.
Why are Volvo using this solution for their bigger SUVs if the tripod could work? The cost is somewhat higher so I think they come to the conclusion that the tripod solution could not work!
Agree. Has anyone taken one apart to see any visible damage?
I also don't get why not use dual CV joint, that would allow for steeper angle on both sides

For example, I couldn’t do this without it …. (Current situation!)
What do u call an EV blocking chargers? 😂

Spoiler alert. Before you think it’s gone, it’ll be back. Just stop smashing the gas unless you’re in “very low” unfortunate but it’s the truth
Ours just came back. And we don't smash the accelerator, really ever. For us it's accelerating while turning out of our driveway. My wife said "this car feels rickety again, whatever that problem is."

Reactions: wodnik7
Just got a fix for shudder issue on my 2020 X LRPlus with 33,000kms on it.
Attached is a repair sheet with apparently new HalfShafts.

After drive home seems the shudder is pretty much gone. A slight consistent harmonic vibration “hum” which apparently sounds unsolvable persists at all speeds and driving modes.
I had this done on my 2019. It ultimately ends up being a temporary fix. The vibration will return. I’ve just learned to live with it. I may have the axles replaced one more time but I’m definitely not keeping it beyond the warranty period.

Are people experiencing this with refreshed Model Xs as well? Or is this limited to Raven models and earlier? I ask because my new refreshed X with 1000 miles on it just started to experience a slight vibration coming from what seems like the front drivers side wheel. Trying to determine if this is the dreaded shudder issue or something else. I always drive in low and only raise my car when pulling into my parking garage at work because it would probably bottom out otherwise. Thoughts?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Ours just came back. And we don't smash the accelerator, really ever. For us it's accelerating while turning out of our driveway. My wife said "this car feels rickety again, whatever that problem is."
The noise came back for me as well, feels that with the cold :( It doesn't rattle on the hard acceleration, but rather on the sharp left turns, again similar, when I turn out of my cul-de-sac into the main road. There's no vibration, just the common noise for worn-down half-shafts.

As car is out of warranty now, I'm scratching my head, do I have to do anything. What are you thinking?

Are people experiencing this with refreshed Model Xs as well? Or is this limited to Raven models and earlier? I ask because my new refreshed X with 1000 miles on it just started to experience a slight vibration coming from what seems like the front drivers side wheel. Trying to determine if this is the dreaded shudder issue or something else. I always drive in low and only raise my car when pulling into my parking garage at work because it would probably bottom out otherwise. Thoughts?
I have it on mine. Very noticeable when doing a uturn. The harsh turn followed by hard acceleration to beat traffic makes it show up pretty bad.

The car defaults to low on every drive. I sometimes throw it in very low, and it helps the issue not be as bad, but it always reverts on the next drive so I just leave it in low most of the time.

I've learned to live with it.

Short update here. The hum is definitely still there. On my car, it seems to vary a bit how noticable it is. I think its more noticable when the car is cold. Just tried another set of wheels (19 inch) to rule that out. Same hum/vibration.

When they did the bulletin, I think they moved the clevis mount. I suspect that introduced this issue. Anyone talked to Tesla about this?

The noise came back for me as well, feels that with the cold :( It doesn't rattle on the hard acceleration, but rather on the sharp left turns, again similar, when I turn out of my cul-de-sac into the main road. There's no vibration, just the common noise for worn-down half-shafts.

As car is out of warranty now, I'm scratching my head, do I have to do anything. What are you thinking?
The end of story: one half-shaft got replaced due to torn boot.

• Informative
I have an appointment for Jan. 9th, 2023 for front axles replacement. I originally took the 2020 MX LR in to report an 'out of round' sound coming from what I believe is the rear driver's side. You can really hear it get loud at around 20mph. Now, when I step on it, you hear a grinding and shuddering nose.

The technician who did a test drive with me seemed to think it was the front axle(s) wearing out and that they would replace it. This was discussed sometime in November. December 11th the warranty is out so this final warranty repair will be it. I may have to look into that In2itive kit that's talked about here. We still love our X and this axle problem experience brings back memories of having to replace these steering parts every 40k miles or so on a Dodge Caravan I had for years and years.

The original appointment to repair this was set in December but days before I messaged back to ask if the parts had came in. I then got a reply back that the appointment was rescheduled for January. Good thing I asked. Who is responsible for following up on ordering parts and communicating to the customer in a timely manner at Tesla? Is it the service center or the call center taking my service report? Seems there is a problem somewhere in Tesla service.

• Informative
I have an appointment for Jan. 9th, 2023 for front axles replacement. I originally took the 2020 MX LR in to report an 'out of round' sound coming from what I believe is the rear driver's side. You can really hear it get loud at around 20mph. Now, when I step on it, you hear a grinding and shuddering nose.

The technician who did a test drive with me seemed to think it was the front axle(s) wearing out and that they would replace it. This was discussed sometime in November. December 11th the warranty is out so this final warranty repair will be it. I may have to look into that In2itive kit that's talked about here. We still love our X and this axle problem experience brings back memories of having to replace these steering parts every 40k miles or so on a Dodge Caravan I had for years and years.

The original appointment to repair this was set in December but days before I messaged back to ask if the parts had came in. I then got a reply back that the appointment was rescheduled for January. Good thing I asked. Who is responsible for following up on ordering parts and communicating to the customer in a timely manner at Tesla? Is it the service center or the call center taking my service report? Seems there is a problem somewhere in Tesla service.
The app is the best way to engage with service. It is based on the service center you select when entering the ticket. Once entered, the ticket is triaged by a local service advisor. I am not privy to the precise handling, but parts availability and personnel scheduling are on the SA. I am sure the quality of that SA varies by person. If you need a loaner, be sure to make that request early. Loaners can be a little scarce, but if you need one badly, mention it early so they can attempt to accommodate your request.

Someone deleted my post?
The Motors don't make the vibration (?) The same vibrations happens if you put the car in neutral.. "Obd2" reader could tell if it's the AC compressor
I love finding out this kind of stuff. But it's too cold for having fun in Norway.

Crap Axles Log, stardate: 1/13/2023

11/2020 build Model X Long Range Plus

Original axles replaced with Palladium part numbers at 8834 miles (1420113-00-B and 1420119-00-B)

Left front axle began failing again at approx. 28,000 miles and started to make a clicking sound on regen that then was reproducible all the time on regen and accel, and eventually started to sound like the old accel shudder and/or a coffee can with marbles in it occasionally. Replaced with p/n 1420113-00-B at 31,880 miles on 1/13/23.

Appointment took under 2 hours and tech rode along to diagnose. Great experience other than no Plaid loaner, bummer. Interesting that only the left axle failed, because I believe it's a bit longer so I would think it would experience a less extreme angle at the CV's. Whatever. Car drives and sounds like new again.

Always Low, hoon driver, etc. Didn't fail in such a way as to strand me, so hopefully that trend continues with this car.

Funny. I - and many other owners found the Range Rover to be very unreliable in many ways. Even so, we never got a shutter out of the shafts - even after 100,000 miles. Considering how much extra high the suspension can be driven on them - that's quite remarkable that Tesla can't figure it out. Sure electric motors have more torque but still ... this has been ongoing for a ½dozen years now. I pity the poor slob that bought our X.