Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The single most annoying thing about my M3P...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the car, but there's one thing that is really, really annoying me (there are other niggles but this is the top of the list for me).

I've not seen anyone else complain about it, so wondering if it's just my car?

Basically, when you trigger your washer jet to wash your windscreen - with the driver or the passenger window open...all the water and washer fluid runs off the windscreen and comes pissing in through the open window, soaking the door card and interior trim. I mean, really? It's absolutely shocking. If this is a common issue I can't believe it hasn't been sorted.

It's only really become evident as the weather has picked up and I've had the windows down more often.

Does this happen to anyone else or is there something specific to my car...

If you just quickly and lightly press the washer jet button it could help. With modern climate control systems, most people don't drive with the windows down which is why this isn't a common complaint. It's definitely not unique to the Model 3 (as Dilly confirmed).

Reactions: NewbieT
Same on the Y, my fix was to only press/dispense a minimal amount of fluid. This also stop a puddle forming over the passenger side of the windscreen.

I’m surprised they haven’t released a software update to limit the amount it dispenses, as you only need a little bit.

I love the car, but there's one thing that is really, really annoying me (there are other niggles but this is the top of the list for me).

I've not seen anyone else complain about it, so wondering if it's just my car?

Basically, when you trigger your washer jet to wash your windscreen - with the driver or the passenger window open...all the water and washer fluid runs off the windscreen and comes pissing in through the open window, soaking the door card and interior trim. I mean, really? It's absolutely shocking. If this is a common issue I can't believe it hasn't been sorted.

It's only really become evident as the weather has picked up and I've had the windows down more often.

Does this happen to anyone else or is there something specific to my car...

I've had this on lots of cars and it increasingly became more of an issue with the improving aero design of cars over the years ... if you look at old car windscreens they usually have a noticeably raised edge seal that contributes to the containment of washer fluid. Smoothing airflow also smooths liquid flow on flush fitted glass! In the cars I drive nowadays I make sure the side window is closed before using the wash-wipe.

Reactions: rowedav
Perhaps a side effect of streamlining? Impact on range less relevant on ICE cars I expect.

This is true. The Model 3 has very good aerodynamics, so where many cars have raised rubber seam strips between the windshield and A pillar, it's a smooth transition. This is a win for Tesla.

The other part of the problem is that the fluid comes from the wiper blades themselves and the nozzles get loose over time... so instead of spraying, they pour the fluid.

The best you can do is only spray at a stop, only spray a little bit, and only spray when the wipers are in the lowest position.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I wonder if the more aerodynamic Merc EQS has the same problem? I would guess not as that would not be befitting of an electric S Class.
Mercs are just cars too you know… despite the cost:

Quote from merc forum:
Both my MB's leave a spray of mist on the screens when using the washers from about 50mph up.

so it goes.

1. Wash windscreen
2. Have annoying water in view
3. Press end of stalk to remove water
4. rinse repeat

Seems to happen with water being flung off the end of the blade.

No other car I drive does this (15 year old mazda, Fiat 500, CLIO!!, ETC)

Both have MB blades.

thoughts?

End quote