Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The situation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@KarenRei , were you involved in making this video? :)

No, I wasn't, that was the first that I saw it :) I do have my own... um... project. But the results won't be... disclosed.... for half a year or so. ;)

Regarding using Tesla's as rentals in Iceland, I agree with @reynirb'd doubts and will add a few other serious drawbacks: Those $100/day rentals in the high season are for cars that would be priced around $10-20k in the US.

You're forgetting something: EVs are much cheaper in Iceland in comparison to gasoline cars than they are in the US. A gasoline car will typically have its price hiked by 60% or so between VAT and vörugjald (less for efficient gasoline cars, more for inefficient ones - VAT is fixed but vörugjald is emissions-based).

Last edited:
sorry for spamming the thread, but can't help myself, love to see this car in person :)
WhatsApp Image 2017-10-23 at 22.00.34.jpeg

Reactions: KarenRei
I can't express how much I'm looking forward to road tripping in a Model 3 :) Heck, the lack of superchargers will be an excuse to go hiking ;)

I may just skip bringing a tent to festivals and sleep inside. It'd certainly be a lot more comfortable and quiet! (Not Þjóðhátíð, though, wouldn't want a bunch of drunk / high 20-somethings peeing on it (or worse) :Þ)

Oh yes me too! it was super nice to see the new fast charging stations in the south last weekend, great progress :) I have also reserved Model 3, was considering new Leaf but nah...Tesla won me over <3 Super excited for the camping mode in combination with that glass roof. can't wait!

It's funny, Model 3 is so efficient that it should charge fast even on CHAdeMOs. :) Should charge at 200-250 kph.

Out of curiosity, are you in Rafbílar VFÍ? Just curious if I've chatted with you there before. :)

I don't mind longer brakes for charging at all :) It would be nice to have superchargers, but I would be able to live without them too.
No I wasn't aware of that group really, sent a request to join now haha

I didn't know the name of the manufacturer of the stations, just that these were the stations that ON has been deploying. But yes, ON is well underway toward trying to finish covering the Ring Road with these 50kW stations. Still nothing compared to superchargers, but nonetheless greatly appreciated :)

One nice thing that they're doing is that a lot of them are being placed at scenic locations, places people will want to stop - Jökulsárlón, Mývatn, Skalftafell, etc, etc. So it won't just be a "stop", it'll be "stop and enjoy the nature for a bit". :)

Reactions: GSP
Well, it may not be done tomorrow, but it looks like things might finally be happening for Iceland. I hope for @KarenRei and the rest of my fellow Scandinavian friends, this also will include some super chargers.
Great news for Iceland EV enthusiasts! I don’t expect any Superchargers in the near future, but maybe at least a modest Service Center and Showroom in Reykjavik by 2019? Given Iceland’s prosperity it would seem there is a reasonably sized market for the Model 3 and a small number S/X sales.

As @KarenRei noted upthread, there is an ongoing project to install 50kW chargers along the ring road so EV owners can charge overnight and continue on their way. Top speeds on Icelandic roads are relatively moderate so most Teslas can easily achieve around 300 miles of range for at least half the year when temperatures are not too cold.

Elon Musk Is a Superstar in Iceland. Here's Why

• Love
Reactions: Brando
The locations for Icelandic SuperCharger sites have been added to the Tesla map. They are Staður, Egilsstaðir and Kirkjubæjarklaustur. All are marked "Target opening date to be confirmed".
While not enabling driving the ring road on SCs alone, the gaps (Akureyri and Hofn/Jökulsárlón) have good Chademo DCFC infrastructure available.

• Love
The locations for Icelandic SuperCharger sites have been added to the Tesla map. They are Staður, Egilsstaðir and Kirkjubæjarklaustur. All are marked "Target opening date to be confirmed".
While not enabling driving the ring road on SCs alone, the gaps (Akureyri and Hofn/Jökulsárlón) have good Chademo DCFC infrastructure available.
@BlueShift

• Love
Well, because I don't see any pins in Iceland on supercharge.info. I figured that meant this might provide enough information to place some. If not, sorry for the waste of time,

Until someone finds a permit, or evidence that construction has started, you don't have any idea where to put the pin. (Tesla's site normally just puts the pin smack in the middle of the city that they would like to put a Supercharger site in.)

Until someone finds a permit, or evidence that construction has started, you don't have any idea where to put the pin. (Tesla's site normally just puts the pin smack in the middle of the city that they would like to put a Supercharger site in.)
Yes. But sometimes in recent years this sort of thing has been deemed sufficient to put a pin up, even when the exact location isn't known. I've been contributing information to supercharge.info since 2014, so I don't need explanations, thank you.