Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The situation in Iceland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been in Iceland for 3 days now, and surprised at how many Tesla’s I’ve seen so far. Three Model S’, and I surprisingly spotted a black Model 3 at a gas station (ironically) outside of Reykjavík.

I’ve been in Iceland for 3 days now, and surprised at how many Tesla’s I’ve seen so far. Three Model S’, and I surprisingly spotted a black Model 3 at a gas station (ironically) outside of Reykjavík.

And remember, these are people who had to import cars, at significant expense / hassle, and who have to send them on a week-long round-trip ferry ride for service.

Sales here are going to go through the roof when Tesla opens.

And remember, these are people who had to import cars, at significant expense / hassle, and who have to send them on a week-long round-trip ferry ride for service.

Sales here are going to go through the roof when Tesla opens.

I mentioned that to somebody a few days ago. I told him "If you see a Tesla here, you need to realize how much trouble they went through to get it." 30 minutes later, a Model S 100D drove by us.

I live in Ohio, and Tesla's have recently become more prevalent there (mostly Model 3's). I see one or two every day, while driving in my Model S. But seeing four Tesla's within three days here, relative to the population, and relative to the trouble it takes to buy one, tells me that Tesla definitely needs to step up their presence here.

Reactions: KarenRei
Unrelated: I'm being amused right now at all of the various names being thrown out as our local Icelandic EV facebook group tries to coin a "proper" Icelandic name for V2G. Names suggested thusfar:

Bíll Að Veitu (BAV) (Lit: Car-to-grid)
Bakflæði (BF) (Lit: Backflow)
Raforkubakflæði (ROBF) (Lit: Electrical energy backflow)
Rafskil (RS) (Lit: Electricity return)
Bíll Til Nets (BTN) (Lit: Car to net)
Bíll Til Baka (BTB) (Lit: Car -> backwards)
Far-Í-Net (FÍN) (Lit: Vehicle-into-net)
Fartengi (FT) (Lit: Vehicle connection)
Raftengi (RT) (Lit: Electric connection)
Inntengi (IT) (Lit: In connection)
Farveitutengi (FVT) (Lit: Vehicle-grid connection)
Bíll-Í-Ból (BÍB) (Lit: Car-into-dwelling)
Far-Í-Ból (FÍB) (Lit: Vehicle-into-dwelling)

(To be fair, the last 6 were all from one person ;) )

Iceland has this major thing about coining "proper Icelandic terms" rather than just adopting English ones like most languages do. A game is to look up random scientific things on Wikipedia (any field, ideally ones not named after famous people, ideally in the past century or two) - say, photon, velociraptor, hippocampus, transistor, autism, seismometer, etc, etc - and mousing over the "Languages" bar on the left hand side (including the "more" tab at the bottom). The vast majority will all be extremely similar in most languages, except that Icelandic will invariably be something very different ;)