Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The sound that Tesla solar inverter makes

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
I held my camera next to the inverter to record the really faint pumping noises that it makes. I thought some folks would find this interesting.

This was near solar noon, this is a 4 kW inverter with about 4 kW of panels on a NW facing roof. Inverter was on the SW wall of my house in sun. The glass door felt cool to the touch.

Electrph

Aug 29, 2019
Central California
interesting .. is this noise unique to Tesla branded inverter vs solaredge etc?
I have heard the pumping noise of powerwalls when they are rapidly charging or discharging ... which is cool was not aware inverter made noise

JeremyWhaling

Jul 25, 2019
So. Cal.
I have one of these likely in my future, with a 4kW expansion. Does this version have two MPPT channels? Are you using one or both channels?

Can you show what the config web page looks like?

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
I have one of these likely in my future, with a 4kW expansion. Does this version have two MPPT channels? Are you using one or both channels?

Can you show what the config web page looks like?
According to the specs it has two MPPT channels. Here is an album of photos including some pictures/videos I had already shared

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
interesting .. is this noise unique to Tesla branded inverter vs solaredge etc?
I have heard the pumping noise of powerwalls when they are rapidly charging or discharging ... which is cool was not aware inverter made noise
I'm not aware of any other residential solar inverters that use liquid cooling so I suspect they are currently unique. The noise is similar to the sound the powerwalls make (which I'm sure is not a coincidence).

Reactions: Electrph

Electrph

Aug 29, 2019
Central California
I'm not aware of any other residential solar inverters that use liquid cooling so I suspect they are currently unique. The noise is similar to the sound the powerwalls make (which I'm sure is not a coincidence).
I was not keeping up on the inverter thread otherwise I would have known liquid cooled 😆 .... duh hence sound

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Nice. A liquid-cooled unit is more likely to stay in the optimal performance temp range and not be subject to output reductions that conductive cooled, and even fan-cooled units like my Deltas are. If my Delta units die I will be requesting Tesla inverters as a replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC