Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The sound that Tesla solar inverter makes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
Referral Code
I held my camera next to the inverter to record the really faint pumping noises that it makes. I thought some folks would find this interesting.

This was near solar noon, this is a 4 kW inverter with about 4 kW of panels on a NW facing roof. Inverter was on the SW wall of my house in sun. The glass door felt cool to the touch.

I have one of these likely in my future, with a 4kW expansion. Does this version have two MPPT channels? Are you using one or both channels?

Can you show what the config web page looks like?
According to the specs it has two MPPT channels. Here is an album of photos including some pictures/videos I had already shared

interesting .. is this noise unique to Tesla branded inverter vs solaredge etc?
I have heard the pumping noise of powerwalls when they are rapidly charging or discharging ... which is cool was not aware inverter made noise
I'm not aware of any other residential solar inverters that use liquid cooling so I suspect they are currently unique. The noise is similar to the sound the powerwalls make (which I'm sure is not a coincidence).

Nice. A liquid-cooled unit is more likely to stay in the optimal performance temp range and not be subject to output reductions that conductive cooled, and even fan-cooled units like my Deltas are. If my Delta units die I will be requesting Tesla inverters as a replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: preilly44
I have the exact same noise coming from my Tesla brand inverter. The noise starts at sunrise, and comes and goes. I was not expecting any noise so got the inverter mounted against the bedroom wall, and now it wakes me up every morning...

Did you find a solution? Tesla says there's nothing wrong with the install so it will be a separate fee to relocate the inverter.

I expected the sound because I knew it had a liquid cooled system. I was careful about what wall it was installed on because the coupling with a wall could magnify the sound.

Tesla in the past would caution people about Powerwalls and the outside wall they would be installed to make them aware about it. I would press on them if they didn't tell you that it made noise. One of my older inverters is completely passive cooled so it wouldn't have this issue. On the other hand I have another set of older inverters that really loud with theirs fans.

I was not expecting any noise so got the inverter mounted against the bedroom wall, and now it wakes me up every morning...
You could try having the inverter remounted on vibration isolators like these:

That might require rigidly mounting a support bar on standoffs to the structure, and then mounting the inverter to the support bar with the vibration isolators. It also would be best to ensure that any connections to the inverter have a short length of flexible conduit to reduce vibration transmission.

So that's a bit of rework. But I did this for my tankless water heater and it made a big difference.

Cheers, Wayne

• Helpful
Reactions: kairojya
I held my camera next to the inverter to record the really faint pumping noises that it makes. I thought some folks would find this interesting.

This was near solar noon, this is a 4 kW inverter with about 4 kW of panels on a NW facing roof. Inverter was on the SW wall of my house in sun. The glass door felt cool to the touch.

I didn’t realize the standalone (portrait oriented) Tesla inverter had the glass cover like the GW2 has. I think your video confirms that something is up with my inverter (PW+). I can hear the coolant circulating but barely over the fan noise! 🤣