Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Southern Supercharger "Arc of Doom"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is why we purchased a Volt rather than a Model S. We live in this valley and travel it frequently. From my home to Pittsburgh (400) there are only 4 charging options 3 of them Nissan dealers not particularly close to exits. And none of them over 200v and 30 amps. Painfully slow as I know from experience in three Roadster.

Last edited:
Need Columbia,SC or Augusta,GA - won't buy a Tesla until one of them opens

I need Asheville, Greenville, and Columbia SCs in that order...

Come on, please build Asheville SC so I can drive my Tesla on the Blue Ridge!!!
Have you seen the updated supercharger map for 2015 on TeslaMotors.com?
2015-northamerica-schargers.jpg

It looks like all those places will be on the map, no?

A possible solution to the "Arc of Doom" may have been provided by the placement of a Level III charger, not quite a Tesla Supercharger but close, in a parking Garage at 66 Richardson Street, Greenville, SC where parking is free on weekends and inexpensive other times. The charging is free and available 24/7. There are very few EVs in Greenville so its usually available. In about 30 minutes you can get nearly a 50% charge. This will get you from Charlotte to Atlanta easily even with a 70Kw Tesla battery.

I went to Spartanburg this past weekend and it was interesting finding a charging spot. I ended up in a parking deck in downtown Spartanburg using a J1772 206v/30a that had a broken latch, so I had to stand by the car (thankfully I had lawn chairs with me) for 30 minutes holding the charger in place so that I could top off a bit. Trip Planner said I would get back to Charlotte with 8%. I blame myself for not being properly prepared. There was a NEMA 10-30 outlet at the house, but I don't have an adapter for that. I need to pick up either Tesla's adapter or a quality extension cord and NEMA 10-30 -> 14-50 adapter pigtail so that I could easily plug in next time. Either that, or start off with a larger charge (I left at 80% instead of 90%) so I have more buffer room for traffic.

What I saying in a long-winded manner is that there is likely to always be somebody that "misses out". It would have been unlikely that I would drive to Greenville even for a SpC to get back to Charlotte.

Try getting from St Louis to ANY WHERE in the southeast? Maybe 2016 will bring some much needed SC'ers.

A Supercharger in Metropolis, IL or Paducah, KY would help, but two Superchargers in Mt Vernon, IL and Eddyville, KY would be great!

For now, write the manager at Harrah’s Metropolis and tell them that you would make a long or overnight stop there if they install some HPWC Destination Chargers.

Well it looks like Asheville has been permitted, and being right at the I-26 / Parkway interchange area, it's a great location! Also those Outlets are really nice. We used their charger last time we were in the area.

Here's hoping more of the Arc gets filled in - Greenville, Columbia would be nice additions for sure.