Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The State of AP2.0 (vs 2.5 and 3)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I am asking about what AP2.0 can and cannot do, and whether there are any performance differences between AP2 and newer models.

I know that:

- AP2.0 cannot do Sentry mode
- AP2.0 cannot do dashcam mode

What I am asking is:

- Can AP2.0 do Navigate on Autopilot? If it can, does it have all NoA features as 2.5 and 3? Does it perform equally?
- In regular autosteer situations, is AP2.0 different than 2.5-3.0 in terms of performance?
- Does FSD add anything to AP2.0 at the moment?
- Can AP2 do anything AP1 can't do at the moment?

What I am not asking is:

- Will AP2 ever actually get FSD, will it be retrofitted, bla bla bla (I am sure nobody knows the answer to these questions)

Bonus question:

- Would a 2016 P100DL with AP2 have MCU 1 or 2?

- Can AP2.0 do Navigate on Autopilot? If it can, does it have all NoA features as 2.5 and 3? Does it perform equally?

AP2.0 has NoA (if purchaseD)

- In regular autosteer situations, is AP2.0 different than 2.5-3.0 in terms of performance?

Feels the same to me (compared to a model 3 with AP2.5)

- Does FSD add anything to AP2.0 at the moment?

Depends on the model. They have regrouped some of the features. For a 2018 (early 2019) model FSD does nothing over EAP.

- Can AP2 do anything AP1 can't do at the moment?

This is partially a religious debate. They are different. AP1 detects speed limit signs. AP2 uses a database. I've had both be wrong - so neither is better in my book.

AP2 displays more info on the dash.
AP2 is actually looking at cars on the side with the camera before deciding it is safe to merge. AP1 uses ultrasonic.

- Would a 2016 P100DL with AP2 have MCU 1 or 2?

MCU1. MCU2 didn't start until mid/late 2017 if I remember correctly. My March 2017 S has MCU1.

• Informative
Reactions: iqless
Yes it does do NoA. Same as the others. Autosteer is supposedly the same.. some have reported that it's smoother on the higher versions, but my 2,0 works just fine. FSD does NOT add anything at this time. AP2 does NoA which AP1 cannot do.

AP2 will eventually get FSD once they start doing the retrofit upgrades, which will happen once FSD is actually a thing. 2016 is MCU1.

• Informative
Reactions: iqless
@iqless Having had a S100D w/HW2.0 for 2 years and 70k+ thousand miles and three trips to the service center to stop the dreaded brake pedal thump and driven my wires X75D w/HW2.5 and now my Raven HW/3.0

I can say there is a major difference in how HW2.0 handles stop and go traffic and a crazy loud thumping of the brake pedal compared to 2.5 and 3.0.

I am hopeful for all the HW2.0 cars out there that HW3.0 will fix this as it seems like the issue is HW2.0 is the culprit in my 3 different cars for comparison.

@iqless Having had a S100D w/HW2.0 for 2 years and 70k+ thousand miles and three trips to the service center to stop the dreaded brake pedal thump and driven my wires X75D w/HW2.5 and now my Raven HW/3.0

I can say there is a major difference in how HW2.0 handles stop and go traffic and a crazy loud thumping of the brake pedal compared to 2.5 and 3.0.

I am hopeful for all the HW2.0 cars out there that HW3.0 will fix this as it seems like the issue is HW2.0 is the culprit in my 3 different cars for comparison.

Brake thumping? you mean when the car brakes suddenly the brake pedal makes noise as it moves lower? Both my HW1 and HW3 cars do this.

Brake thumping? you mean when the car brakes suddenly the brake pedal makes noise as it moves lower? Both my HW1 and HW3 cars do this.
Yes.....In my HW 2.0 car is acted like a distracted teenager and did it almost always. 2.5 & 3.0 seem to be much more aware and brake earlier and smoother than my 2.0 car ever did. I am not certain if it is the 2.0 computer or the different radar but either way it is significantly less brake thumping w/2.5 &3.0

Yes.....In my HW 2.0 car is acted like a distracted teenager and did it almost always. 2.5 & 3.0 seem to be much more aware and brake earlier and smoother than my 2.0 car ever did. I am not certain if it is the 2.0 computer or the different radar but either way it is significantly less brake thumping w/2.5 &3.0

I don't think control is relevant here. Adding some damping/foam padding to parts of the brake pedal will probably kill the noise.

I don't think control is relevant here. Adding some damping/foam padding to parts of the brake pedal will probably kill the noise.
If you put your toe under the brake pedal you will see that there is a significant difference between the cars. The addition of some kind of padding etc. won't change how abruptly different braking in stop and go traffic and HW2.0 responds. I have driven plenty enough miles to know. But to each his own.