Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Stealth Hitch is now complied in Australia thanks to TOCA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair point, I hadn’t read that.
I know the model Y in the US has a factory hitch option so I presumed the 3 did also, but turns out it doesn’t. Thought it would be a good precedent…

Sorry it doesn’t answer your question any better.

So this approved tow hitch doesn’t void the Tesla warranty?
Direct quotes from Tesla emails I received:

"Be advised if there's any damage caused as a direct result of the installation of a third party tow bar will void your warranty."

Then clarified further:
"Regarding the Warranty point raised by my colleague [redacted], that is correct it is in reference to any damage caused by the 3rd party tow bar install, such as:
-Rear bumper cutting or trimming (if required).
-Wiring issues caused by tow bar trailer wiring.
-And any other items the 3rd party install induced issues."

So basically, the tow bar itself and the act of towing do not void any vehicle warranties.

Direct quotes from Tesla emails I received:

"Be advised if there's any damage caused as a direct result of the installation of a third party tow bar will void your warranty."

Then clarified further:
"Regarding the Warranty point raised by my colleague [redacted], that is correct it is in reference to any damage caused by the 3rd party tow bar install, such as:
-Rear bumper cutting or trimming (if required).
-Wiring issues caused by tow bar trailer wiring.
-And any other items the 3rd party install induced issues."

So basically, the tow bar itself and the act of towing do not void any vehicle warranties.
And that is the main reason I have been waiting for Teslas own tow bar to come to Australia. The Model 3 in EU has had the towbar option from Tesla for years. Back in 2019 when I bought my Model 3, they said that they did not have enough supply for the towbars so they only went to Europe and that their towbar was not yet certified for Australia, but it would shortly come and they could retrofit it. They mentioned it may take a few months. Well it has been 2 years and the status is still same, rumors that in a "few months" they will get here, are still there.
The way I understand the stealth hitch does not come directly with wiring, so one would need to source those and have them wired, and I do not see that happening without any cabling being cut into unless there is a specific connector somewhere in the wiring for this. Not sure the software will detect it correctly that the car is towing if you have a non Tesla wiring attached? So I keep waiting :(

Reactions: Leeroy
And that is the main reason I have been waiting for Teslas own tow bar to come to Australia. The Model 3 in EU has had the towbar option from Tesla for years. Back in 2019 when I bought my Model 3, they said that they did not have enough supply for the towbars so they only went to Europe and that their towbar was not yet certified for Australia, but it would shortly come and they could retrofit it. They mentioned it may take a few months. Well it has been 2 years and the status is still same, rumors that in a "few months" they will get here, are still there.
The way I understand the stealth hitch does not come directly with wiring, so one would need to source those and have them wired, and I do not see that happening without any cabling being cut into unless there is a specific connector somewhere in the wiring for this. Not sure the software will detect it correctly that the car is towing if you have a non Tesla wiring attached? So I keep waiting :(
I was in the same boat as you until I got sick of waiting. Earlier in this thread I discussed it; I imported an OEM tow bar from Norway, which also came with the wiring system. It was just plug and play to the existing wiring loom already in the car. All the lights worked straight away, but wouldn't detect a trailer nor enable trailer mode automatically. That requires Tesla to add the tow package to your car configuration.

And will they do this in Aus?
I'm sworn to secrecy and have already said too much...

You should also ask if you even want the tow package configured.

Pros:
- Deactivates the rear parking sensors
- Apparently has a safety feature to detect and react to trailer sway

Cons:
- TACC only sets to current speed, rather than the detected speed limit

Pro or Con?
- Disallows Autosteer (important safety feature, which I think is critical, but some people will debate me on that)

I'm sworn to secrecy and have already said too much...

You should also ask if you even want the tow package configured.

Pros:
- Deactivates the rear parking sensors
- Apparently has a safety feature to detect and react to trailer sway

Cons:
- TACC only sets to current speed, rather than the detected speed limit

Pro or Con?
- Disallows Autosteer (important safety feature, which I think is critical, but some people will debate me on that)
Is the disabling of Autosteer etc just when the tow bar is in use, or all the time?

Word on the street is that they are about 5 weeks away from doing so. You're right, the one they're going to be supplying here is the "MODEL 3 EU HITCH" - I've seen the label, complete with Australia-specific caveat "For trailer towing only".
Hey, did you know what happened to that towbar which you thought be available end of August? Any new update from big bird, with his word on the street? Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: corndog
Anyone with a hitch installed, what issues does it cause for the parking sensors/auto pilot etc when things like bike racks are attached?

For trailers, I don't care, the longest we go with a trailer is 10 minutes to bunnings.

But we sometimes would drive hours with a bike rack, and don't want it pinging all the way down the Hume.

My Ford goes into a sort of tow mode when anything is plugged into the hitch connector. Something similar for the Tesla would be a reason I'd like to wait for an official solution.