Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Stealth Hitch is now complied in Australia thanks to TOCA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

one4spl

Luke Smith - https://TSL43.info
May 22, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
It's been a long time coming but there is now a fully complied tow bar option for the Model 3 in Australia. TOCA have achieved this compliance on behalf of its members and for the benefit of the Tesla community at large. Anyone is free to import and fit their own bar or buy one from a local reseller such as EV Stealth Solutions.

The only modification needed is to add a custom wiring kit and a label to both the bar and the driver's door frame. TOCA are printing these stickers currently and will post them out to any member who needs one. Please email [email protected] with your membership number and mailing address to get yours.

If you would like to know how you can import and fit your own TOCA Queensland President Luke Smith has documented the process here - https://tsl43.info/blog/tow-bar
The compliance report is here - https://1drv.ms/b/s!AuAGcPr3g2JHlI0PWh2MHLBEsbo0kA?e=UXEGaU

Note that the bar is currently complied to 750kg, we hope to re-comply at 1000kg, the limit of the Model 3, soon.

20191020_090438.jpg

Is is likely to twist from side to side with a bike carrier on the back. I can’t see if the vertical post holding the extension for the hitch onto the bar has more than just friction holding it it.
It's a cone shape with a cam lock into it, it's *very* sturdy. If you go through the photos at the bottom of my article you can see the mech and the stainless block it goes into.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I was looking at the prices and those from EV Stealth Solutions are quite a markup from the US price, even allowing a hefty amount for freight, exchange rate and GST and assuming they purchase at list price- which surely they do not. Maybe there is also some sort of Duty?

Often the story here in Oz- local distributor but price seems very high compared with direct import.

I imported and fitted a tow bar from Europe for a different car and it was very reasonable and shipped here by DHL. I contacted them re Tesla and they will do a Tesla Model 3 one for a bike rack but not towing as it is not complianced here.

I note Luke got his with a discount and a freight discount and somehow did not get seem to get charged GST. But most of us will not be so lucky.

Still trying to work out what is going to be best at a reasonable price......

Most likely I'll go the direct import route.

Regds,
Dave

Reactions: David Sowden
I was looking at the prices and those from EV Stealth Solutions are quite a markup from the US price, even allowing a hefty amount for freight, exchange rate and GST and assuming they purchase at list price- which surely they do not. Maybe there is also some sort of Duty?

Often the story here in Oz- local distributor but price seems very high compared with direct import.

I imported and fitted a tow bar from Europe for a different car and it was very reasonable and shipped here by DHL. I contacted them re Tesla and they will do a Tesla Model 3 one for a bike rack but not towing as it is not complianced here.

I note Luke got his with a discount and a freight discount and somehow did not get seem to get charged GST. But most of us will not be so lucky.

Still trying to work out what is going to be best at a reasonable price......

Most likely I'll go the direct import route.

Regds,
Dave
Exchange rate, GST, customs handling, air freight (per kilo basis) and county tax. The unit weighs 31kg for the entire two packages. They also have stock and manage the end to end service; supply and fitted for $2,800. Which all can be fulfilled within one week. I guess it takes the headache out for anyone that doesn't want the hassle of dealing with importing and intermediaries.

Exchange rate, GST, customs handling, air freight (per kilo basis) and county tax. The unit weighs 31kg for the entire two packages. They also have stock and manage the end to end service; supply and fitted for $2,800. Which all can be fulfilled within one week. I guess it takes the headache out for anyone that doesn't want the hassle of dealing with importing and intermediaries.

I was quoted $2,950.

For anyone interested in my tow bar story; Just before TOCA got this one approved, I got an OEM Model 3 tow bar from a wrecker in Norway. Cost me $1,300 landed. It's used, but perfectly fine and came with the OEM wiring. Just plug and play, but has a 13-pin EU style plug. Took me about 2.5hrs to install myself.

EU tow bars are actually recognised by ADR, so it's already compliant. It's got me f****d why Tesla won't just make them available here.

Attachments

• 2021-03-23 11.32.29.jpg
    2021-03-23 11.32.29.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 359
  • 2021-03-27 13.36.45.jpg
    2021-03-27 13.36.45.jpg
    643.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 2021-03-27 15.01.20.jpg
    2021-03-27 15.01.20.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 361