Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Stealth Hitch is now complied in Australia thanks to TOCA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive just ordered my EV SS towbar and picked up the fascia diffuser with cutout last week, apparently the last one is Aus (Or maybe Vic?!)
For those who have already fitted, what did you do with the trailer plug? Does it stay tucked up in the cutout when not in use or have you mounted it somewhere close to the rear bumper like some of the 'other' brands?

Yes, open the little door, pull out the connector+cable, insert and lock the towbar, connect the trailer, connect the two chains, plug in the trailer lights. I have made the cable lengths "just right" so nothing drags or snags. Might need some adjustment if using someone else's trailer- but that would happen with any towbar or fittings. It is totally above the Fascia Diffuser when not in use so nowhere it can go. The cable itself is secured with cable ties.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman and Leeroy
should come
Ive just ordered my EV SS towbar and picked up the fascia diffuser with cutout last week, apparently the last one is Aus (Or maybe Vic?!)
For those who have already fitted, what did you do with the trailer plug? Does it stay tucked up in the cutout when not in use or have you mounted it somewhere close to the rear bumper like some of the 'other' brands?
Yes, open the little door, pull out the connector+cable, insert and lock the towbar, connect the trailer, connect the two chains, plug in the trailer lights. I have made the cable lengths "just right" so nothing drags or snags. Might need some adjustment if using someone else's trailer- but that would happen with any towbar or fittings. It is totally above the Fascia Diffuser when not in use so nowhere it can go. The cable itself is secured with cable ties.
should come with a small magnet to clip onto the metal latch block.

Reactions: Leeroy
What have you guys fitting tow bars to Model 3's in Australia been doing about trailer lights? Using a generic trailer light wiring kit or using factory parts? If I've understood correctly there is a factory trailer light ECU which can be fitted which is just plug and play but it doesn't seem to be available in Australia. I've found one online seller (in Lithuania!) but it feels like quite a risk to go down this pathway. Any better solutions out there?

I wanted to find an ECU that would talk with the Tesla. In the end, I gave up looking (because I could not find something that would definitely work) and went with the generic "monitor the harness and switch the lights from the car's 12V". Using the CANBUS is the sensible way to do it but like you I estimated the risks and potential issues were too great.

I wanted to find an ECU that would talk with the Tesla. In the end, I gave up looking (because I could not find something that would definitely work) and went with the generic "monitor the harness and switch the lights from the car's 12V". Using the CANBUS is the sensible way to do it but like you I estimated the risks and potential issues were too great.
Well - in a couple of weeks I'll be able to let you know one way or the other about the Lithuanian supply. I just went ahead and took the gamble. So far so good with some reasonable correspondence with the online shop. It might end up being a dead loss or it might come through A-OK.

Reactions: Leeroy
Well - in a couple of weeks I'll be able to let you know one way or the other about the Lithuanian supply. I just went ahead and took the gamble. So far so good with some reasonable correspondence with the online shop. It might end up being a dead loss or it might come through A-OK.
Very good! I would not now retrofit but it would be excellent if there was such an option for yourself and for future purchasers. I suppose you will somehow have to get the SC involved to turn on the functionality in the car software? Still, it might work anyway just using the flash/stop and other CANBUS signals without the car being "trailer aware". After all, the car does not "know" there is a trailer with the dumb repeater solution. Mainly an issue when reversing, which is no big deal.

Very good! I would not now retrofit but it would be excellent if there was such an option for yourself and for future purchasers. I suppose you will somehow have to get the SC involved to turn on the functionality in the car software? Still, it might work anyway just using the flash/stop and other CANBUS signals without the car being "trailer aware". After all, the car does not "know" there is a trailer with the dumb repeater solution. Mainly an issue when reversing, which is no big deal.
I don't really know what I might need from Tesla to make it work. I was kind of hoping it would just all plug together and be done. I did read somewhere about a trailer mode being activated but I don't know whether that does anything critical or just nice to have features. I just hope Tesla don't refuse to engage and leave me stranded. I've had mixed experiences with the service centre so far.

I don't really know what I might need from Tesla to make it work. I was kind of hoping it would just all plug together and be done. I did read somewhere about a trailer mode being activated but I don't know whether that does anything critical or just nice to have features. I just hope Tesla don't refuse to engage and leave me stranded. I've had mixed experiences with the service centre so far.
I got a genuine Tesla trailer ECU and tow bar from Norway. Can confirm that it's plug and play. Works 100% no problem. The only thing it doesn't do is give you trailer mode. Trailer mode isn't that great anyway. Kind of a pain tbh.

I got a genuine Tesla trailer ECU and tow bar from Norway. Can confirm that it's plug and play. Works 100% no problem. The only thing it doesn't do is give you trailer mode. Trailer mode isn't that great anyway. Kind of a pain tbh.
I wonder if Tesla Australia will ever start selling and installing them here... They were eager to promise it when the cars had not arrived but now no-one wants to talk about it.