Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Summer of Model S Holidays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a Model S at the Arctic Circle ;) (Admittedly a Norwegian plate, but plenty of scope to make the trip from the UK if you wanted, and the scenery up there is fabulous ! :) )

The photo below was taken by a Norwegian member of TMC, near Tromsø right up by the Arctic Circle.

Its made me want to go there on a major road trip around Norway..

Red MS Norway edited.jpg

Last edited:
Its made me want to go there on a major road trip round Norway..

I highly recommend it!!

I crammed in 9 days of driving to get up as far as Mo I Rana, coming back via the Trollstigen / Atlantic Coast Road etc. Stunning scenery, but _lots_ of driving to get there. I did 4k+ miles, all of which as the only driver. To make the most of it really you need to take 2 weeks and having multiple drivers would be a big plus.

Don't expect to stand out in a Model S though ;)

I took the Lotus, and went up through central Sweden which is beautiful too! I took the minor roads which would be a challenge in an EV right now I was getting range anxiety in an ICE at a couple of points (as well as wishing I was in something with slightly more ground clearance :) )!

Attachments

• 10 Offroad.jpg
    10 Offroad.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 261
  • 12 Arctic Circle.jpg
    12 Arctic Circle.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 257
  • 16 Norwegian Scenery.JPG
    16 Norwegian Scenery.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 264
  • 26 Atlantic Highway.JPG
    26 Atlantic Highway.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 263
  • 30 Trollstiggen.jpg
    30 Trollstiggen.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 255
  • 36 Don't look down.jpg
    36 Don't look down.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 258
  • 42 Valdresflye.jpg
    42 Valdresflye.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 257
  • 10 Offroad.jpg
    10 Offroad.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 14 Arctic Circle.jpg
    14 Arctic Circle.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 16 Norwegian Scenery.jpg
    16 Norwegian Scenery.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 24 Atlantic Highway.jpg
    24 Atlantic Highway.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 256
  • 30 Trollstiggen.jpg
    30 Trollstiggen.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 36 Don't look down.jpg
    36 Don't look down.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 240
  • 42 Valdresflye.jpg
    42 Valdresflye.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the photos. Stunning. Really looking forward to do this trip, probably next year though.

How did you find the long daylight hours / midnight sun ? I've not experienced that anywhere.

I got to the circle in the end of July, so no midnight sun :(. (I took daughter with me, so constrained by summer hols) To get the best midnight sun you need to go a month earlier, so next year makes a lot of sense!

It was still extremely long daylight hours though which was really quite strange. I think official sunset was around 23:30 and sunrise at 02:00, but it was never exactly dark (though I generally found I was soon asleep after all the driving :) )

I'd love to take a Roadster for the roads which are so traffic free as they wind through the Swedish forests and some of the mountain passes. Without the noise of an engine I'm sure I'd have spotted more wildlife ;) However logistics would dictate taking a Model S I suspect, and stick to the trunk routes, then do a few day excursions into the wilderness and back to a SpC.

Looking on the map, there's a SpC just north of the Arctic Circle at Storjord, from there head toward the Swedish border towards Merkenes on route 77/95 which is a road that rivals many of the famous alpine passes IMHO. You'd have to do an "out and back" as Sweden is devoid of SpC's north of Ostersund.

One of the (unexpected) highlights of my trip was stopping at 3 Hard Rock Cafes in 3 countries in one day. This should be easily replicable in a Model S ;) In fact I think with two drivers in the car you could beat that using a Model S and just Superchargers ;)

We used to do a lot of diving up in the Orkney's and playing football or cricket at 1am in "dusk" on way back from pub on last evening before heading home was always good fun:smile:

Orkney's is on my bucket list.

Done a lot of diving, but mainly blue water stuff. (Well apart from Stoney Cove, where I do the occasional helping hand with lessons DM'ing) .

Have to say the Model S is a great dive bus, the rear footwell in the boot carries a 12l single + fins and other junk perfectly, leaving the top portion of the boot easily able to carry a pair of gear gulpers ;)