TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The Summon Prank!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Drone Flyer, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

Ok, I'm sure most owners have tried this but this has got to be the funniest prank one can pull.
    I like to have a passenger who is unaware of the car's features, sit in the car while I am outside of the car.
    Turning on summon and moving the car forward or reverse while passenger is inside, produces priceless responses!
    Give it a try! Lol!

• Like x 1
  2. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Did that at a NDEW event, garners a lot of attention but then serves as a great segway into autopilot vs autonomous discussion.

3. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

That's great. Even better than what I pulled on my poor mother-in-law: honking the horn from 3,700 miles away when I knew she was in the same garage as the Model S....though that was pretty good, too.

• Like x 1
  4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Just be sure there is nothing for the door to hit when they open it to jump out. And which seats did you order that are urine-proof? ;)

• Like x 1
  5. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I don't find it funny to put anyone in fear of their own safety and then laugh at their panicked response. There's a big difference between sitting in a parked car that suddenly starts rolling forward without obvious human intervention (causing a feeling of helplessness, and/or an adrenaline surge), and watching a remotely-controlled car from outside.

The overwhelming two-word response, when I posted this point of view after Summon first came out, was for me to "lighten up." But I hope it made folks think twice about the feelings of the person being pranked.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have fun with Summon. I've summoned my car out of a spot as family members who didn't know about the feature were approaching with me, and their reaction was shock-turned-to-grins, followed by discussion about how the car could be remotely controlled. However, since they were observing the car moving from at least a car length away, it did not produce a level of panic that being inside the car could have instilled.

Hope everyone has a happy holiday season. Cheers!

• Like x 3
  6. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Nah. It's funny. :)

7. green1

green1 Active Member

It's better yet if you don't have the crippled Canadian version of summon where you have to fumble with your phone, open the app, wait for it to connect (if on android, kill and re-open the app again), hold the button the whole time, etc.

The US (or otherwise unlocked...) version is so much nicer, I can just keep my hand in my pocket and control it all from the fob. The phone pretty much ruins the whole thing.

I'll also agree with @thecloud watching the expression of people standing beside you (or in the parked car beside yours) is fun, doing it to someone in the car, not cool.

8. Jack007

Jack007 Member

Sorry even better, remotely lock the door, then get the car moving. Maybe fold the mirrors in or out

9. Jack007

Jack007 Member

Reminds me of when my sister turned the heat seater on my mother (just to be nice it was cold)
    My Mom thought that she had a physical problem....
    Still tells the story 10 years later.
    But since she's almost 80, I wont move the car on her or Dad.
    someone under 40, sure.