Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The super computer that wasn't.

electronblue

Oct 1, 2018
Earth
https://electrek.co/2017/08/09/tesla-autopilot-2-5-hardware-computer-autonomous-driving/
A blast from the past. Autopilot 2.0 nvidia computer called a super computer. Now what do we call it? Not quite enough computer? :p

Indeed while Tesla did say from the beginning the computer may have to be changed they also said they don’t think it will need to be. This with the original AP2 computer! Elon repeated this belief several times that they believe the AP2 computer will be enough for FSD... Despite that it didn’t take long for them to move to AP2.5 computer with more power and leave AP2 computer behind with new features. And of course not even AP2.5 was enough in the end.

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
Indeed while Tesla did say from the beginning the computer may have to be changed ...
Interested in a link for that. Tesla did not say from the very beginning the computer may need to be changed. At some point Elon did start muttering something about an upgrade might be needed. My fallible memory says it was a year or more later.

Last edited:

electronblue

Oct 1, 2018
Earth
Interested in a link for that. Tesla did not say from the very beginning the computer may need to be changed. At some point Elon did start muttering something about an upgrade might be needed. My fallible memory says it was a year or more later.

They did say it from the beginning that it is something they’ll do if need be. But they also said they don’t it will be needed.

I’ll see about a link if possible.

diplomat33

Aug 3, 2017
Terre Haute, IN USA
https://electrek.co/2017/08/09/tesla-autopilot-2-5-hardware-computer-autonomous-driving/
A blast from the past. Autopilot 2.0 nvidia computer called a super computer. Now what do we call it? Not quite enough computer? :p

But this is true with every computer. The technology is always improving. Every computer is state of the art when it first comes out and then becomes obsolete when the next computer comes out. I am sure 10 years from now, the AP3 computer will seem like an outdated dinosaur.

After all, at one point, this was literally the most powerful super computer on the planet but now it is an old relic.

EDSAC_%2819%29.jpg

Reactions: APotatoGod

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
They did say it from the beginning that it is something they’ll do if need be. But they also said they don’t it will be needed.

I’ll see about a link if possible.
Oh yeah, I remember that, but wasn't specific to the computer. I believe they said they will upgrade the "hardware" if necessary.

DanCar

Oct 2, 2013
SF Bay Area
... The technology is always improving. Every computer is state of the art when it first comes out and then becomes obsolete when the next computer comes out. ...
obsolete - Wiktionary : No longer in use; gone into disuse; disused or neglected ...
Nah, lots of computers are still heavily in use after next computer comes out and even after several generations are out.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC