TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

The Tale of 2 Teslas....

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dunginhawk, Mar 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

ok... Id like to run my scenario by you smart people.

I have a 1k deposit down on a CPO right now.
    Model S 85
    Included tech package, sub zero, pano sun roof, 19 inch cyclone rims, premium interior lighting.
    Black leather, carbon fiber trim, white alcantara
    36,000 miles (it was a loaner car from the tesla store in chicago)
    VIN 27,000 and change
    $55,000

or now, a contender arises.

Model S 85
    Included tech package, sub zero, no sun roof (not that big of a deal to me, but kinda cool), no interior package, but the fuex leather looks damm nice)
    Hand-Wrapped Microfiber Cloth/Synthetic Leather 8-Way Power Seats
    One of the blackish wood trim options
    11,100 miles (one owner)
    Vin 41,000 and change
    $59,000

Really tough decision... can you guys help me a bit with what you might find as the major differences? Is interior lighting a big deal? Lower mileage is pretty nice. It will require additional warranty in roughly a year.
    Based on vin, is there any chance this is HW1 AP1 capable with upgrade? im guessing not.

Essentially i would try to get them down to 55k for that car, knowing i need 4k in additional warranty to bring it up to the CPO warranty.

Would love ur thoughts... remember id also be forfeiting the 1k in chicago, but a small price to pay potentially.

thanks

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I'd go with the CPO, fresh warranty.

3. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

#3 dunginhawk, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Thank you sir... appreciate the input...
    No concern with the mileage? no concern with all of those miles being either a loaner or a test drive where people may not always treat it right?
    keep them coming.

EDIT : if it matters... the low mileage one comes with a Wall Mount Charger (although I already bought one haha), also its local to me, vs having to drive 6 hours each way to chicago for the other one

4. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Get the one that is farther... the drive back is going to be fun and awesome...

On the other hand, I believe a private party sale is eligible for an extended warranty and a CPO is not. If that's matters to you.

5. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

CPO all the way.. the clock starts over for you 4 yr 50k miles and the remainder of the 8 yr battery warranty..

Ask them to do the next maintenance due (for me it was the expensive one), they were kind enough to do it without me asking. Ask for the major components they have replaced, door handles etc..

I had such a good experience with my CPO process I am biased.. Good luck..

6. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

WEll, since the vin on the private party is 41000, and a 2014, it means at WORST i have 1 year remaining. So 1 year + extended warranty = 5 total years of full on warranty vs 4 years starting day 1 of the one further away.

I mean this is like wickedly tough.

7. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

Wow,.. i have to say im surprised by this. No mention of the interior lighting package etc , perhaps not a big deal at all.
    Also, no real talk about the 25k few miles. MOstly just about the warranty, which i TOTALLY get..
    However if i bought the non CPO one, i would absolutely buy the extended warranty... Because I dont expect to keep this car for more than a couple years id want the warranty to transfer to new owner.

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I worry about the low VIN. The early cars had a higher instance of issues, regardless of warranty. And every one I have gotten as a loaner with a low VIN has been a creaking mess.

9. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

The DS at tesla who has finished the 200 pt inspection said its great, but what would you expect him to say "its a pos and its been in the shop more than on the road?" haha..
    it does concern me too.
    15,000 vin numbers is not a ton, but perhaps enough to iron out some things. Honestly had the extended warranty not come up (i didnt actually think about it) i wouldnt even be looking at the non CPO one, but I have to admit, its a dead even choice for me.

10. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

@dunginhawk Not sure if it matters...

But the Pano roof has the anchors to put a ski-rack/roof-rack on the car, and the non-Pano does not.

(I have Pano, and don't use that function)

Just because a car has a low VIN doesn't mean that it's creaky.

Ours is over 3 years old and great. Had a squeak and Tesla fixed it (a plastic piece on the dash broke off.)

11. ahurst

ahurst Member

Higher VIN, better....
    27,xxx VIN would give me pause

12. Fiver

Fiver Member

Meh. My low 20k vin is fine.

13. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

wow, you guys are NOT making this any easier haha.
    right now id say it stacks up like this.

Pros for the CPO - Color (i like red over white), Options (interior lighting, pano roof, even tho i wont use it), CPO (built in 4 year warranty)
    Cons for the CPO - Higher mileage, lower VIN number, dozens of people have driven it, likely HARD, technically lose 1 year of warranty starting the 4 year now (vs buying the 4 year after the expiration of the existing, on the non CPO)

Pros for the Dealer Car - Interior is IMMACULATE, very low miles (can tell it was babied), extra year of warranty (assuming i buy the extended), its local (small pro, very small) higher vin
    Cons for the Dealer Car - Color (white is ok, but not my fav), have to buy extended warranty, no pano, or interior lighting upgrade, no 200 pt inspection.

also, one other question... I see "Performance" after a ton of used cars on websites, like the Model S 85 Performance, however I am highly questioning the fact that its a true P85. Would ALL older P85s have the P85 badge on back? or could some have just the 85? Just curious.. this white one on a few sites says performance, but im skeptical of that.
    EDIT 2. found my answer.. it was in the pictures... plain old 85, no P :)

14. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

I just found out the original owner of the Dealer car registered it with the state on June 11, 2014... So it has about 15 months left on the 4 year 50...
    Also, can anyone outline what was available on the premium interior lighting package on the 2014 85s? im VERY certain this dealer has no idea how to list tesla packages or items. it may have premium interior lighting package... ill check tomorrow if i know what to look for. thanks

15. JCLeonard

JCLeonard Member

Wait, the second car is from a DEALER? Having lurked the forums for quite a while I have ascertained that only the original buyer can purchase the extended warranty. You may not be able to buy it on that car. More details to follow up on :) Also, the extended warranty terms seem to include a deductible: Did you purchase the Tesla Extended Warranty for extra 4-years/50K miles coverage?

16. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

#16 dunginhawk, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    JCLeonard... I will call tesla tomorrow, but the wording of the warranty is a dealer can NOT extend the warranty, but the owner as long as its inside the current 4 year 50 original warranty, they CAN extend it. ill clarify for sure.
    IF i can not extend the warranty, then no way in hell ill even consider it.
    on the listing, it says "qualifies for extended warranty" although i trust dealers about as far as i can throw them.

Im also considering as a condition of sale saying I will take the car to my local service center (its 3 hours away) and run its full maintenence. If it comes back clean, then we are good. If it comes back dirty, I have the right to return it.
    And BTW< if i dont own a maint plan (which i couldnt buy) can i still schedule a maintenance and just go pay for it out of pocket?

17. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Yes

18. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

I'd go with CPO.

19. dunginhawk

dunginhawk Member

So those of you choosing the CPO route, is it simply because its a CPO? because tesla has certified it?

Would it change your mind any if I had the car through the tesla maintenence before purchase?
    I will also 100% be buying the extended warranty (5.5 years total from today) on the car.

Just wondering if the CPO fans (and im one of you) are thinking that way simply because its been certified. Where as a full service from tesla would likely help ease concerns?

20. croman

croman Active Member

I've had a loaner car and I didn't abuse it. I used it to get to work and back to the Tesla shop in Highland Park to get my own car. It was merely a convenience. It was a P85D so I did use the accelerator liberally but that isn't a big deal, it was just the highway ramp (my word that was fun!). I wouldn't assume loaners are beaten to hell (though I'm quite sure not everyone is as kind).

The loaners didn't seem particularly abused but not necessarily getting all the TLC an expensive car needs/deserves.