TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

The tax credit is the reason I tolerate this awful roll out

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by dave999z, Aug 31, 2018.

1. dave999z

dave999z Member

#1 dave999z, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    I like many have been extremely disappointed, frustrated, and somewhat astounded by the sh!t show that has been Tesla's M3 delivery process during this ramp up. You put down $1k potentially years ahead of time, then another $2500 months ahead of time (at which point it all became nonrefundable, though maybe they've relaxed that term now), yet have absolutely no idea or warning when you'll get "the call," at which point you have to hope you're in town (because they won't hold it for you) and scramble to get funds (hopefully if you got a loan preapproval it has not expired) and get rid of your old car, then potentially have your delivery moved with no warning, or be presented with a car that has defects. Who needs all that.

Obviously many/most of us decided it's still worth it to endure. But why?

One pretty intuitive answer is that there is no other car that rivals the M3, so Tesla has a monopoly for now on a (sort of) affordable yet totally awesome electric car. But they're not going to stop making them. Eventually supply will meet demand, and one won't have to endure a months long process of crap communication. arbitrary pricing and other policies, and quality issues. I am excited to get a model 3, but I don't think the car alone is going to be so unbelievably awesome that it's worth this hassle, as opposed to just waiting until next spring.

But a $3750 tax credit makes it worth it. For some it may be the difference that determines whether the car is worth it at all or even attainable. But even if not, who doesn't want a free $3750! I sure want it! And I'm going to be really pissed if I don't get it. Which is why Tesla's opaque timing and arbitrary "sorry you go to the back of the line" policies are very stressful and frustrating. So the expiring tax credit is driving the suckiness of Tesla's process and at the same time is the reason I'm willing to endure that suckiness. If it weren't expiring, I'd care way less about this opaque timing, making it not suck so bad. Since it is expiring, the opaque timing is higher stakes, making it suck more.

I think it's interesting how intertwined the tax credit is with the ramp up. Tesla needs to ramp up to please its stockholders and become a viable, profitable concern. They deserve a grade of F on the customer experience of this roll out. But the tax credit gives Tesla some cover. For me at least, it's not that the car is so freaking awesome and without peer that I'd accept any customer experience no matter how pathetic. I'd rather wait a while until the car and the customer experience are both good. But I accept the bad experience now to save $3750. When the prospect of saving $3750 is gone (yes I know it phases out and doesn't immediately disappear altogether), Tesla is going to have to score MUCH higher on the sales experience. Hopefully they didn't sour too many customers in this process.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I understand your frustration. I have waited over 2.5 years and I constantly feel like I am being pushed to the end of the line to get my AWD. First is was RWD only and now they are clearly prioritizing P models. The lack of communication is annoying and they could definitely use some improvement.

3. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

I thought the tax credit is $7500 till the end of the year..

• Like x 2
  4. dave999z

dave999z Member

Yes, if Tesla doesn't deliver your car by 12/31, your tax credit drops from $7500 to $3750. Hence $3750 at stake.

• Like x 1
  5. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Feel your frustration but hang in there, as they're coming. Mine (same config as your save for FSD) is built. Of course my delivery is probably still at least a few weeks out but things are moving, Tesla is still chugging away on this backlog.

• Like x 1
  6. willa1975

willa1975 Member

The tax credit is certainly what spurred me to order now instead of waiting for them to (maybe) sort out their logistical and quality control issues.

Now I’m committed as they have my initial $3500 plus additional down payment as I had remitted final payment in anticipation of my 8/18 delivery, which was canceled at the last minute.

And, since then, nothing. No estimated timeframe. No effort to make things right; they could at least pledge to honor their initial trade-in estimate since the delay was their fault and not mine.

If their customer service is this lousy at this stage of the game, I don’t feel optimistic about how things will be once I have the thing.

Really starting to regret my decision and wish I would have waited for offerings from other manufacturers.

7. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

The impending demise of the tax credit is a major reason for the slow deliveries. Thousands of people are eager to get their cars prior to it going away, and Tesla has ramped up production as quickly as possible to get as many customers as possible qualified for the credit.

All around the world, where ever there is a large tax benefit available, the customers like up around the block.

Friend just go back from Amsterdam. Said most of the Taxi drivers use Tesla due to the economic benefits.

8. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

If you think it’s bad now, wait until December when tesla tries to unload previously rejected cars onto customers at the last minute.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. Gouldness

Gouldness Lurker

This is the first-est of world problems. Maybe it’s bc I’m a millennial and not used to being pampered in a dealers showroom or something. I’ve waited 4 years (since I saw Elon reveal the “D”) to get a Tesla. Let them make a profit. No one is trying to actively screw anyone over, and if you think they are, then why wait, I’ve got a sub-par bmw i3 to sell you. Lol

Patience. This ev revolution will be over it’s growing pains in a few years. I for one want to support the movement, as the alternative hasn’t been manufactured yet.

• Like x 2