Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla-approved body shop turned off mobile app access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Earlier this week, I took my MS in for a long-awaited (parts delay from Tesla) repair/replacement of a damaged quarter panel. Last night, I thought I'd ping the car via the mobile app to see exactly where it was, etc.

On the app, a box popped up, "Mobile App Remote access is OFF," with instructions on how to turn it back on via the 17" screen.

I haven't called the body shop, but am considering doing so. Why would they turn mobile app access off? Do you think they have the right to do this?

Earlier this week, I took my MS in for a long-awaited (parts delay from Tesla) repair/replacement of a damaged quarter panel. Last night, I thought I'd ping the car via the mobile app to see exactly where it was, etc.

On the app, a box popped up, "Mobile App Remote access is OFF," with instructions on how to turn it back on via the 17" screen.

I haven't called the body shop, but am considering doing so. Why would they turn mobile app access off? Do you think they have the right to do this?

I suspect they removed all power when they began working on it. That would be normal in my mind.

They've done this on my car several times when I took it in for service. Typically it's when they keep the car overnight, but not always. Realistically, they don't want you controlling the car remotely while they're working on it, so it's a safety issue for them. What if you locked them out of the car (just plain frustrating), or opened the sunroof in the rain or while they're working on it (they could lose a finger), or honked the horn while they were under the car (they get startled and get hurt)? My service center seems to disable that for all but the quickest of fixes.

Pretty smart thing to do in my mind.

Last edited:
Not at all surprised that remote access is turned off during maintenance. I've experienced the same thing (though not on all occasions).

If it's an authorised repairer my bet is that Tesla advise this. The summon example would be particularly scary.

Many Tesla service centers (and by extension, Tesla-approved body shops) will disable remote access for the reasons mentioned above (horn, sunroof, lights, etc.) In the early days, too many people did stupid things.

They've done this on my car several times when I took it in for service. Typically it's when they keep the car overnight, but not always. Realistically, they don't want you controlling the car remotely while they're working on it, so it's a safety issue for them. What if you locked them out of the car (just plain frustrating), or opened the sunroof in the rain or while they're working on it (they could lose a finger), or honked the horn while they were under the car (they get startled and get hurt)? My service center seems to disable that for all but the quickest of fixes.

Pretty smart thing to do in my mind.

Not that it matters to your point, but the pano roof has sensors to prevent injury as such.

When my car was in the shop for a month, of course I wanted to monitor the battery charge. And I wanted to see where the car was.

Before we started I asked the Tesla guy to leave the app on. I told him I knew they didn't want people fooling around while they were working on it, but I wasn't going to do that, and please leave it on.

They did.

That's all I think you need. Be aware that they want to turn it off, and let them know if you want it left on. The customer is always right, isn't he?

I wonder if Tesla could work the software so that when the car is in "shop mode" the app can be visible, but you can't control the car.

Reactions: Cnixon
Not that it matters to your point, but the pano roof has sensors to prevent injury as such.

And how is that supposed to prevent injury to the car when the tech jumps and knocks the tool into your $100K aluminum body work when the horn honks or the moon roof suddenly opens for no apparent reason?

Out of 5 SC visits, only the very first visit did they shut the app access off.

They didn't even do it for the battery swap so as soon as the battery was installed, the car came back to life and I got multiple status messages regarding the failed software update. Apparently it took a dozen attempts or so. All the while the app access was enabled.

If I had a shop and a Tesla turned up to be worked on, first thing I'd do is disable remote access.

Too many "things" can happen. Car is sitting outside waiting on parts and someone remotely opens roof (be it on purpose or inadvertently), it rains inside and shop is potentially acused of causing the damage.

Wow, break out the tin-foil hats.

Remote access should always be turned off when the car is in service. The fact that this shop knows how to do it and knows they should do it is a good sign IMO. It means they know something about Teslas.

If I had a shop and a Tesla turned up to be worked on, first thing I'd do is disable remote access.

Too many "things" can happen. Car is sitting outside waiting on parts and someone remotely opens roof (be it on purpose or inadvertently), it rains inside and shop is potentially acused of causing the damage.

Main reason I'd do it. Liability concerns.

I called them this morning. They said they've had some issues with cars being damaged from remote operation, such as opening the liftgate. Wasn't aware that could be done remotely. Maybe an issue with another car.