Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Buying Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree 100%. The traditional car buying experience is even worse now with the microchip shortage and mark ups on Toyota Corollas... I've been trying to buy my mother in law a RAV4 at MSRP and it's been an awful experience. Dealers wont even give a price over the phone, add in useless items, make you sit around while they discuss pricing with a manager, etc.

View attachment 708409
I my area there are multiple dealerships that Mar up Toyotas $5-10K. And the demand is so high that people from other states come to get it.
Sienna, RAV4, Tundra, Tacoma, Corolla are the ones where they are making a killing.

My question is WHY would you pay $60K for Rav 4 Prime?!?!?!
To me that amount of $$$ sounds like MYP :cool:

Got my first flat tire at 666 miles 👍 used the sealant and pump kit I purchased, the hole in my tire is maybe 3mm and released all of the air. The sealant didn't work, and with no seal the pump was useless. Tesla has no loaner vehicles, and no loaner tires so I'm currently sitting in the lobby waiting to hear how long it will be before I can get a new tire on my week old car. Not an awesome experience so far

Saturn was doing no haggle, price-you-see-is-the-price-you-pay 30 years ago. Granted, you still had to go through the upselling bull but you didn't have to do any negotiation on price. Saturn was also GMs distribution channel for the EV-1, the first mass produced EV released in 1996.

Last edited:
One strategy I've found that helps speed things up at a traditional stealership is to schedule your pickup just before closing on a Friday evening.
At that point, all the staff- including the finance guy are anxious to get out of work and go home for the weekend... they want to get rid of you as quick as possible and take NO for an answer much more easily at that point. A few years back- I had a Honda finance guy process my financing in under 5min on a Friday night because the last ferry for Fire Island left at 10pm and it was just before 9pm when I walked in his office... I got their best rate without even asking too ;). He couldn't get rid of me fast enough.....

The slim sealant is hit or miss that’s why I carry a plug kit and a small compressor in my vehicles. In 35+ years of plugging tires I never had one fail me. I will tell you that it does take some amount of effort to get the plug inserted But once it’s in the repair is solid.

This is the kit I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Boulder-Tools-Motorcycle-Trailer-Puncture/dp/B01E635PGA/ref=asc_df_B01E635PGA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198151843411&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13011131155942572474&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012056&hvtargid=pla-381147636177&psc=1

The slim sealant is hit or miss that’s why I carry a plug kit and a small compressor in my vehicles. In 35+ years of plugging tires I never had one fail me. I will tell you that it does take some amount of effort to get the plug inserted But once it’s in the repair is solid.

This is the kit I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Boulder-Tools-Motorcycle-Trailer-Puncture/dp/B01E635PGA/ref=asc_df_B01E635PGA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198151843411&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13011131155942572474&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012056&hvtargid=pla-381147636177&psc=1
Just purchased one of those based on your review, I was frustrated yesterday I ended up getting the service manager to replace the tire under good will but it was a 4.5 hour delay in my day. This kit probably would have saved a ton of headache, thank you for the suggestion, this is my first car that doesn't have a spare and a jack. I thought buying the Tesla kit was the way to go, and my damage fit the parameters of the kit but as you said and as I found out they can fail. Thanks again!

Just purchased one of those based on your review, I was frustrated yesterday I ended up getting the service manager to replace the tire under good will but it was a 4.5 hour delay in my day. This kit probably would have saved a ton of headache, thank you for the suggestion, this is my first car that doesn't have a spare and a jack. I thought buying the Tesla kit was the way to go, and my damage fit the parameters of the kit but as you said and as I found out they can fail. Thanks again!
Cool. It should serve you well.

Up this morning very early with dogs needing to go out and came across this article about the changing car buying experience.

Everything Must Go! The American Car Dealership Is for Sale.. Everything Must Go! The American Car Dealership Is for Sale.

My MY is being delivered next Monday and yes, it has been a wait (3 months) but not painful. First time I've ever ordered a car but thinking back, this has been the best car buying experience ever.

#1... no dealing with car salesmen or the finance guy and all their shenanigans (tricks).
#2... no-haggle price, it is the price everyone pays the same price so you know you are not getting gipped.
#3...Effortless ordering online.
#4....Setting up final payment, insurance, etc., all online.
#5....Picking up from the Houston Service Center is looking to be painless.

When people have asked me why am I getting a Tesla, I've said the only reason is the charging network. I can't depend on the Electrify America system to travel with my other EVs, Tesla wins here; however, I will now say the Tesla's Buying Experience is right up there with the charging network.

Keith
Houston, TX

I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you walk in to a dealership and agree to pay the price listed, then you won't have to deal with the shenanigans. There is no law that states you must negotiate the price, you can always just say I want to buy the car at the listed price, here's my money.

Just because there is a no haggle price doesn't mean you aren't getting gipped, it just means everyone is getting gipped.
I would agree the initial ordering of a Tesla online is easy, but everything after that with Tesla in regards to buying is usually a hot mess, rushed, and anxiety inducing in itself.

People say they hate the haggling experience, but the question is; if you can save a few thousand by haggling, is it worth it? The consensus in society is yes, since rarely does anyone walk in to a dealership and forgo the haggling process and pay full price. If Tesla offered both the classic dealer experience where you could negotiate a few grand off if you take the time and the direct sales approach, I wonder which option would be used more.

Got my first flat tire at 666 miles 👍 used the sealant and pump kit I purchased, the hole in my tire is maybe 3mm and released all of the air. The sealant didn't work, and with no seal the pump was useless. Tesla has no loaner vehicles, and no loaner tires so I'm currently sitting in the lobby waiting to hear how long it will be before I can get a new tire on my week old car. Not an awesome experience so far
Assuming you don't live in am area with Tesla Mobil tire repair?

#1... no dealing with car salesmen or the finance guy and all their shenanigans (tricks).
#2... no-haggle price, it is the price everyone pays the same price so you know you are not getting gipped.
#3...Effortless ordering online.
#4....Setting up final payment, insurance, etc., all online.
#5....Picking up from the Houston Service Center is looking to be painless.

#1: 100% agree
#2: 100% agree. This is what drove me to a Model Y. Honestly wanted a Rav4 Prime, but dealer markup was $11,000
#3: 100% agree
#4: This did not go as smooth as I'd have liked. Much easier to just hand over a check in person
#5: This was an absolute nightmare. Tesla tried 3xs to get me to let them just drop it off in my driveway. Not really what I want. Eventually they stopped bothering me and let me pick it up from a service center.

#'s 4 and 5 are where our opinions differ. I dont like paying for things until I see/inspect them. I prefer a standard transaction where I go to a shop, look at a car, accept it and pay for it. I dont like the idea of paying them ahead of time and have someone just leave a car in my driveway. Made sense at the height of the pandemic, but not something I'd like to see continued. This isnt a $10 amazon order, this is a $50k car. I would like someone to walk around it with me so I can point out flaws, not a guy who catches an uber before even knocking on my door. Seriously, for $50k, I expect someone to walk me through all of the setup, maybe even do it for me. Not send me a link to some online videos.

Thats me being critical and hopefully offering constructive criticism. I like the car.

Reactions: KeithMac
Update... so I talked with the service advisor. He said to wait and see once the car has been repaired at their body shop. He stated that when stuff like this happens or cars show up with some damage, they repair and the new owner doesn't know of the issue and the spray paint issue from graffiti happens all the time. I felt better after talking with him.

So, I'm going to see how it shows up on Wednesday; which didn't sound too promising on making that date. He waffled on that and said he couldn't promise for sure by Wednesday with the workload in the body shop. Great.

I'm staying optimistic about my Tesla buying experience. Will see how delivery goes.

And the great buying experience continues. Tesla Houston did not disappoint. Got a call saying they could deliver in the morning but I had a conflict. Called back and said they could have it to my house by 6:30 pm. All looks good, a few paint specks from the above "Graffiti" incident but I'm not sure if it's worth getting those removed. Overall the call looks amazing!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I guess it depends on how you look at it. If you walk in to a dealership and agree to pay the price listed, then you won't have to deal with the shenanigans. There is no law that states you must negotiate the price, you can always just say I want to buy the car at the listed price, here's my money.

Just because there is a no haggle price doesn't mean you aren't getting gipped, it just means everyone is getting gipped.
I would agree the initial ordering of a Tesla online is easy, but everything after that with Tesla in regards to buying is usually a hot mess, rushed, and anxiety inducing in itself.

People say they hate the haggling experience, but the question is; if you can save a few thousand by haggling, is it worth it? The consensus in society is yes, since rarely does anyone walk in to a dealership and forgo the haggling process and pay full price. If Tesla offered both the classic dealer experience where you could negotiate a few grand off if you take the time and the direct sales approach, I wonder which option would be used more.
Or no one is being "gipped". At a dealership all that haggling is figured into the process - people think they're getting a great deal never knowing the manufacturer gave the dealer a financial incentive to move the car and you just got part of it. All kinds of behind the scenes moves are in play, it's just transparent to the buyer. Sure you could just pay sticker but then you're really getting hosed. Doing the dance is required. Take all that crap out of the mix so everyone pays the same and doesn't expect "the manager" to approve your "hardball" final offer so you can walk off feeling like a sharp negotiator while the salesman laughs at you behind your back...

Or no one is being "gipped". At a dealership all that haggling is figured into the process - people think they're getting a great deal never knowing the manufacturer gave the dealer a financial incentive to move the car and you just got part of it. All kinds of behind the scenes moves are in play, it's just transparent to the buyer. Sure you could just pay sticker but then you're really getting hosed. Doing the dance is required. Take all that crap out of the mix so everyone pays the same and doesn't expect "the manager" to approve your "hardball" final offer so you can walk off feeling like a sharp negotiator while the salesman laughs at you behind your back...
The one positive that the classic dealership process provides is competition, even amongst one brand. It's not just the sale price, it's also the competition for customer service post sale, i.e. service.
Yes, there's a lot more to buying a car than knowing the MSRP and the supposed "dealer invoice"; holdbacks, volume incentives, customer retention rates for service & parts etc.. But, pre-pandemic, with a little research, you could easily shoot out emails to as many dealerships as you'd be willing to drive to for the best deal.
Whenever competition is removed, customers are getting gipped, just look at how ISPs work. They pay municipalities fees to be the only player in town so they can charge what they want knowing customers have no other choice. Sure we're all paying the same, but do you feel like you're getting a good deal on your internet?
If there is no competition the customer is getting gipped. A hybrid dealership scheme, if possible would be best.

The one positive that the classic dealership process provides is competition, even amongst one brand. It's not just the sale price, it's also the competition for customer service post sale, i.e. service.
Yes, there's a lot more to buying a car than knowing the MSRP and the supposed "dealer invoice"; holdbacks, volume incentives, customer retention rates for service & parts etc.. But, pre-pandemic, with a little research, you could easily shoot out emails to as many dealerships as you'd be willing to drive to for the best deal.
Whenever competition is removed, customers are getting gipped, just look at how ISPs work. They pay municipalities fees to be the only player in town so they can charge what they want knowing customers have no other choice. Sure we're all paying the same, but do you feel like you're getting a good deal on your internet?
If there is no competition the customer is getting gipped. A hybrid dealership scheme, if possible would be best.
I didn't say anything about competition, of course it's good. Tesla in fact does have competition - no one has to buy one so your reference to a utility or ISP isn't valid. You can buy cars of various types anywhere. I spoke only to the online no haggle price.

Reactions: thinktwice
Agree 100%. The traditional car buying experience is even worse now with the microchip shortage and mark ups on Toyota Corollas... I've been trying to buy my mother in law a RAV4 at MSRP and it's been an awful experience. Dealers wont even give a price over the phone, add in useless items, make you sit around while they discuss pricing with a manager, etc.

View attachment 708409
That is unbelievable!! $10k in dealer "add-ons"?? And somehow silly states like mine argue that dealer franchise laws somehow benefit the consumer. 🤣