Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla (dash) Cam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would definitely recommend installing your own Dashcam. Not only will it have the features you want but it can be relied upon much more than Tesla's inbuilt one, which I've seen miss drives or have stuttering/jumping which misses out on sections.

They're pretty easy to install too. The trim removal is very simple and doesn't break anything. Plus the connection to the cigarette lighter port is tucked away under the armrest storage. I think it only took me about 30 mins to do.

I presume I can run my dash cam from the cigarette lighter or an OBD Power Cable has anyone done either of these - what are negatives?

The "cigarette lighter" (AKA 12v accessories) socket is awkwardly placed under the centre console armrest and will be blocked by any insert tray plus there's no easy outlet slot for a cable - doable but messy. Additionally the output is unswitched so it won't turn on/off with "ignition" - you'll need to fit a switch in there somehow

There is no OBD socket fitted - it's only obligatory on ICE vehicles so none is fitted as standard on Teslas. You can get third-party "homebrew" adapters to tap into the CAN bus by inserting a plug-socket gizmo (plus tap off to an OBD socket) into an existing coupling behind one of the car's interior panels. As it's a live feed you should power off the car to install it. Not sure, but I think OBD 12v is also unswitched.

Alternatively if the dashcam is actually a 5v device (many are) then the 12v lighter plug supplied also contains the 12v DC to 5v converter.
Simply get a suitable cable with USB A or C to whatever plug is on the dashcam itself and provide 5v power directly from inside the centre-console power sockets or from one of the rear USB-C sockets. Note the power is still unswitched so you'll need to turn the dashcam on/off yourself somehow.

The "cigarette lighter" (AKA 12v accessories) socket is awkwardly placed under the centre console armrest and will be blocked by any insert tray plus there's no easy outlet slot for a cable - doable but messy. Additionally the output is unswitched so it won't turn on/off with "ignition" - you'll need to fit a switch in there somehow
It's really not awkward or messy. There's a little cutaway that the armrest bump-stop usually drops into. Cable goes through that then is hidden behind the trim all the way along the centre console to behind the dash, and then round to the door.

IMG_20220324_190313.jpg

The only downside as you mentioned, is unless you provide a switched live as you, then the dashcam stays on for 10-15 mins after each drive until the car sleeps. Really not a big deal IMO. They're designed to operate constantly so a few minutes extra doesn't hurt.

Reactions: Forty_Two
I thought the OBD socket was under the rear seats?

Edit - Nah its just a port than can connect to an OBD via an adapter.

Nope.
There is a bus connector either behind the centre console or in the driver/passenger footwell (I forget which) which can be disconnected to access the bus.
A back-to-back ribbon plug/socket with cabled OBD socket like this one from Amazon goes in between the existing plug/socket to provide an OBD tap off.

It would be worth doing if you're planning on using OBD diagnostics and need the data port but would be overkill just for a power take off.