Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla dashboard design team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The interior will for sure change as it gets closer to launch. Besides the missing air vents that were brought up it also doesn't have a speedometer that i could see. The main reason for the reveal is so people can see the basic outer design of the car. The fact that they drive at all is pretty amazing to me. Usually a prototype doesn't even have a motor or real suspension. Some prototypes don't have any interior at all. I'm just glad i got my reservation as early as i could.
In one of the videos you can see the speed in the top left nearest the driver.
Central display isn't new, just most cars have it.
I like it

My guess is the team remains embarrassed by the steering wheel.

Dypu2Bm.jpg

I'm sorry but as much as I like the exterior, that dashboard is a disaster.

• Funny
Reactions: S3XY
I saw that the prototype Model 3 has a full length center console between the seats. I wonder if that is a good idea, maybe it would be better to have the area between the front seats be completely open like on a Model S? Maybe make the console a dealer installed option?

Well, not a DEALER installed option. A Tesla Store installed option, you know what I mean.

Model S is now coming standard with a center console. The empty space is a relic of the previous generations.

I like my empty space.

The screen in the model S is not distracting at all. I rarely need to fiddle with it while driving but the odd time I do the large screen is great to use. Tesla made a large jump away from traditional cars with the electric motor and now is looking at questioning other 'normal' car things like the instrument cluster. Think about the things on an instrument cluster you don't need in a Tesla, temp gauge, rpms, voltage.

If you think this is going to make you feel like you are in front of your desk at work then I suspect you have never driven a Tesla. The screen is functional and is there to serve you, not the other way around.

I was already not a big fan of the Model S/X dash and I think the Model 3 one is heading even more in this, in my opinion, very wrong direction.

You're not a fan of one Tesla's signature features, so therefore they are going in the wrong direction? Actually, YOU are going in the wrong direction even considering a Tesla if having a big screen dash bothers you. That's their thing. Why would they abandon it?

As others have noted, I find it brilliant. My whole world revolves around screens, and now my car does too. Perfect! There are plenty of cars that give you knobs galore. I am annoyed that my X has a real button for the hazard lights. I wish that was an on-screen feature as well.

The car doesn't fully drive itself, so stop talking about how it's the future. Maybe when we reach it we can get rid of it.

I want the speed just below of my eyes not off to the down right. You're getting a 0-60 in 6 second car, you want to see how much you're going and you want to do it without having to take your eyes off the road.

Also what about autopilot radar? In the Model S it's in the dash in front of you. Do you really want to have to look off to the center to see all that? You're taking your eyes off the road again when you need to be looking around you.

The instrument panel has one thing that's useful: the speed gauge. Mine defaults to album cover art on the left, energy usage on the right. I actually like my energy usage on the big center screen, and I don't need album art. I can also glance at the center screen if I want to know what is playing.

So yeah, I'd love to have a single digital speed display, but in one of the test drive vehicles, the Tesla guy said they put that on the edge of the center screen so that you could keep an eye on speed with your peripheral vision. Beats me how well that works, but I'm curious to find out.

Update: oops, I lied. I forgot about the blind-spot warnings and radar tracking of other vehicles. That stuff is pretty cool and actually useful. Given that the 3 will have the autopilot hardware, would be nice to have this info also available. So I think I just changed my mind...

Last edited:
I think a lot of us that want something in front of our eyes, not on the clutter of the big screen. UI will probably refined but let's be honest removing the speed gauge from where is currently is, is like Microsoft taking the "Start" button from Windows 8. Of course we don't need RPM,voltage,temp in front of us. We just want the speed gauge in front, and for me I want the autopilot radar in there too.

Reactions: tga
I am trying to recall what information I glean from my instrument cluster on a regular basis. It is mostly speed, gas / range, outside temperate. Only 1 among those 3 require regular glances. The others are not frequent enough.
Right, for me, only speed is what I need glancing at regularly. I hope they have a HUD option, but the employees showing the car supposedly says it's viewable in peripheral vision from the top left corner of the touch screen. I would have to try in person to see if this is acceptable.

NOTE TO ALL who are discussing the eyes 6 o'clock<-->eyes center versus the eyes 4 o'clock<-->eyes center optic activity:

Unless you are expert in ergonometry, and more specifically optic ergonomics, you do not, with all due respect, know what you're talking about. As always, you are free to use the internet to post your opinion, but your opinion is uninformed and it is not valid.

This is not the same as it not being correct. It might be. I do not know: I likewise am not versed in optic ergonomics. But I am willing to go way out on a limb and say neither are you.

But it's a very stout and very long limb that I'm out on: the odds are very much in my favor.

Now, here is my own desideratum, and it is one others have mentioned (and before the Model 3, with the Model X. And before that, with the Model S. So it may very well be another example of the triumph of Hope over Experience):

* I also would hope that the production version of the Model 3 (and 2018's Ss and Xs) includes HUD. And that Tesla retains the utterly minimal dashboard as presented last night, rather than the atavistic ever-more-glommed out abomination that is what dashboards have, in their excrescent way, become over the past ten and twenty and thirty and forty and fifty years.

The cheapest Nissan or Kia has features missing on the Model 3. I had a rental recently, low-end car, and I could still control the radio volume with buttons on the steering wheel.

I'm sure the buttons from the "S" will be coming to the "3" - at least I hope so. For all the crowing about safety, the idea of removing features that keep your hands on the wheel (the steering wheel controls) and eyes on the road (no driver's side gauges) sounds a bit counter to Tesla's DNA. If a center-mounted speedometer was safer, I think they would have taken over by now. I could be wrong but this REALLY rubs me the wrong way.

A HUD would be a step up and we've had some 30 years to perfect THAT technology since it appeared on Buicks way back when. I have no problem with the idea of that being included in a 'tech package'.

Reactions: Blastphemy
I reserved one for each of my kids - I think that they will like this design and not be encumbered by the past and tradition of instrument clusters and older design elements.

This thinking is unfortunately in the minds of mainly architects, and such thinking has produced things like these anxiety inducing inhuman "dwellings":

GVFpUXU.jpg

You are an ant. You live in a grey box. You go to work at your desk. This is what we have decided is "modern now", so you must adapt. Now you also drive to your desk, in another desk. Contemporary architects raved about such buildings. "It's modern, unhindered by traditional approaches". For me it's a sad, dehumanizing piece of garbage.

The hysteria to be as original as possible is not a good thing, it just right away trashes stuff that was thought out, had a certain elegance and esthetic. But simply because it's traditional, therefore old, it's therefore bad. You can have different gages in front of you other than temperature, RPM etc. You can say that it's minimalistic. For me it's just sad and sterile empty space. "1984" that's what it communicates to me. With a giant screen so the Ministry of Truth can always keep an eye on me. And if Tesla is so bold, why keep the exterior so "traditional"? The front part, without the inelegant stump at the end, looks very Porsche like, which is not a bad thing. And strangely enough everyone seems to agree the exterior is awesome. For the interior (the dash really) we get this love-hate thing going on....

If you think this is going to make you feel like you are in front of your desk at work then I suspect you have never driven a Tesla. The screen is functional and is there to serve you, not the other way around.

I'm sorry but with a big, and now confirmed, also horizontal screen, not even integrated into the dash this time, and the rest being empty space, yes I feel like they took a desk and put a steering wheel on it. The office has finally also crept into my car. No thanks. Digital has its purpose, analog has its purpose. Analog will always have its purpose because we are humans, and we have fingers. We like to touch things, feel they are real. Analog means one tactile, 3D button does one thing (or a few things), so you have to be careful to not make things too cluttered, of course. Digital means a flat piece of glass that can draw anything, in 2D. Practical. But it's also cold, soulless, virtual. You press your finger on a piece of glass. And perhaps annoyingly, you find yourself often click-click-clicking to get to what you want. Balance digital with analog (the real). Here there is no balance. Me, a human, has to adapt to it. Because it's modern. Screw that.

This is very frustrating because everything else I love about this car, and this company. But this is just too ridiculous looking. If this is what it ends up looking like inside, more or less, I won't be getting one.

Last edited:
NOTE TO ALL who are discussing the eyes 6 o'clock<-->eyes center versus the eyes 4 o'clock<-->eyes center optic activity:

Unless you are expert in ergonometry, and more specifically optic ergonomics, you do not, with all due respect, know what you're talking about. As always, you are free to use the internet to post your opinion, but your opinion is uninformed and it is not valid.

While a lot of us don't expert training in such I would say there are a lot of cars that have forced this on us and many have said they don't like it. Here are some of the cars I have driven with the off center setup... Prius, Toyota Echo, Scion xA/xB, Saturn, Mini Cooper (I want to say it was an ION). I really didn't like any of them. I owned an Echo for 2 years and that was one of my least favorite parts of the car. They have to be able to provide a way to glance and get relevant info right below where I am looking on the road or I won't like it. This is from living with the same setup for 2 years.

Have you driven those types of cars? If you like it then that is great but I really dislike it.

Tesla has to be able to come up with something that works, keeps the legroom, and the fancy ventilation. Maybe it is a heads up display but my issue is I live in Texas. The sun is really intense (I am also disappointed with the glass roof) I'll either have to get a tint job on it or get the metal option. But what happens when the sun is bright in this setup? My friend's new Toyota pickup has a radio in it that you can't even see in the afternoon. I hope they thought about this without a recessed instrument cluster.

Reactions: Blastphemy
About the sun:

I had the misfortune of having to spend last June and July in central Arizona, but the good fortune of having to do it with our Model S. I, and many others who live in such locations, can affirm that these vehicles' glass roofs are appropriately tinted both for proper viewing of Tesla's screens as well as for heat and UV irradiation. There is every reason to expect the Model 3 to be likewise.

Reactions: GSP and JohnQ
I have joyfully sat on my perch in this tree and read all the pros and cons people have regarding the Model 3 interior. In particular the MCU. Before I finally leave my dropping on the forest floor and fly away to another tree in this forum forest, I would like to make one comment to the OP.

I share your grief with regards to constantly feeling like you never leave work. I, and many others I know, have spent years in front of a computer screen and relish the time when we can step away from these devices for a period of time. And for some, they have almost completely abandoned them altogether.

I worked for years for a very large telecommunications company and have spent more than my fair share of time on endless conference calls and the constant stream of ringing phones. I finally realized that even though I worked for a phone company I actually hated phones. To this day I still cringe when I hear one ring. PTSD-like, to a degree, I guess.

With that being said, one of the signature elements in all Tesla cars is their large screen. That is not going away any time soon so there is no need in complaining about it. If you don't like it, there are other options on the market other than Tesla. This is America and you are free to purchase whatever type of vehicle you like. You already have the Volt, Leaf, E-Golf, etc. You will also have the Bolt and other all-electrics from other manufacturers to choose from. Somewhere in that vast universe of options will be an interior that should make you happy. To obsess over this one element simply tells me that perhaps you should be looking elsewhere for your next automobile. Nothing worse than getting into a space you feel should be soothing and free of stress only to find yourself haunted by those things you are trying to escape. That is not the way life should be lived.

I wish you well in your search for happiness. Now, off to another tree (thread).

I'm sorry but as much as I like the exterior, that dashboard is a disaster. Are we back in the 70s now, predicting how modern "stuff" will look in the year 2000? I realize it's still in prototyping stage but I fear the main thing, and only thing, that will change is the gigantic screen will be vertical instead of horizontal. I always thought a 17 inch square screen looks totally out of place in a car, including the Model S and X, and I look at computer screens all day. I don't need to stare at one also in my car and IT staring back at me. I'M HERE, LOOK AT ME!! Because it's a big, square, FLAT glass surface it's impossible to integrate it into anything and just looks ridiculously out of place. Maybe when flexible screens become mainstream, such a huge display surface can be smoothly integrated into a dash. But now....yuk. It's the automobile interior design equivalent of this:
http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2011/royal_wedding_hats/wedding_hats_01.jpg

At least the Model S and X had other things on the dash to take away the attention from that monstrosity, but if this is going to be the dash (with some small alterations) of the Model 3, it is really, really ugly. Please reconsider Tesla.....take some inspiration from Mercedes for example:

This looks more Tesla than Tesla. Even the screen has a "T" shape and is perfectly integrated into the ensemble and is more than adequate size, for a car screen. A dashboard of a car is not ment to be a copy of my desk. I am not at my desk, and I'm not in a 70s sci-fi set inspired living room either. I'm in a car. I'm going somewhere, I'm traveling, I'm looking at stuff in my surroundings, at the real world. It's one of the main points of driving and traveling, or is this a wrong assumption? I can live without a giant screen while in a car. I see those everywhere already.

I mostly agree with you. Two things I didn't like about the Model 3: First, the "nose". I think it looks empty and therefore a bit weird. I guess I prefer the look of the Model S and the prototype Model X before they dropped the fake grill. Now, a license plate will be there in most places, so it will deflect from the "blank" space on the nose....but still it looks empty/blank and strange to me.

The interior really did disappoint me. Now people are saying two things - 1) The design is near 100%, and also 2) things will change alot. I hope #2 is correct....

OK, I love the idea of a large touch screen, it's great! But with it sticking out like that and not flush or more integrated into the dash - I just don't like it. Looks kind of stupid IMHO. The Model S/X is better. I also don't like the lack of a - even if basic - display right in front of the driver. They say "Oh you can look over with your peripheral vision and see the speed etc..". But to me that is still not as good as having it right in front of you.

Again, Model S/X does it right here having both the touch screen plus the traditional display directly in front of the driver/steering wheel.

I really do hope that the interior is made more like the Model S/X before the car goes on sale, or at least there is an option for an (IMHO) Model S/X type dash.