Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla dashboard design team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed and I personally don't think there's NO way they're going to have autopilot without you being able to see exactly what's happening to your left and right and behind you and not put it in the center of your vision
I was thinking about this too and it is an interesting point. It will be interesting to see since we are all pretty confident that we will be getting AP version 2. It just depends what APv2 is.

Reactions: scott jones
Behold! The Model T, that I invented:

N9cD9Y7.jpg

Minimalism has its place, it's not automatically the best thing for all situations. I'm far more annoyed by having a TV in my face while driving than a few buttons I can completely ignore. The frustrating thing is that the Model 3 seems by all aspects the perfect car for me. I drive electric since 2 years and I love it. I've followed Tesla since the first web page went up and I think what they have achieved, and what they have pushed other automakers to achieve, is phenomenal. As much as one can love a corporate entity, I love Tesla. But I also spend the time I'm driving IN the car, the dashboard is important to me. Not just the functionality of it (for a dashboard I believe functionality should be vastly more important than wanting to make everything minimalist), but most importantly not having a TV in my face. While trying to enjoy the drive. I was already not a big fan of the Model S/X dash and I think the Model 3 one is heading even more in this, in my opinion, very wrong direction.

Now that's the funniest thing I've seen concerning the M3. Elon should have waited until today to do the reveal of this car as an April fools joke. He should indeed build a model A - Atari car.

What does that mean? I heard one of the drivers talk about this and can't make sense of it.

Driver's instrument panel in front of the steering wheel. I don't want to have to look left to see critical stuff. It takes my eyes too far from the road for safety, IMO. I wear bifocals. So that makes all it that much harder to unfocus and refocus.

Notice the interior doesn't even have A/C vents. It's mostly a placeholder. It will evolve.

But if you had time behind the wheel of an S you'd recognize that anyone who DOESN'T have a large touchscreen is just behind the times. The large screen is infinitely better.
Actually it does have vents, the entire gap in the dashboard is a vent, it was discussed by the Tesla driver in one of the test drive videos.

The interior will for sure change as it gets closer to launch. Besides the missing air vents that were brought up it also doesn't have a speedometer that i could see. The main reason for the reveal is so people can see the basic outer design of the car. The fact that they drive at all is pretty amazing to me. Usually a prototype doesn't even have a motor or real suspension. Some prototypes don't have any interior at all. I'm just glad i got my reservation as early as i could.

This has been address in some of the test drive videos by the Telsa people. 1. The vent is the gap that runs the length of the dash. 2. the speed is always in the top left corner of the display 3. The interior is virtually 100% what they will have in prodution, 15" display for all models with no cluster behind the wheel. The only thing left to speculate about is if there will be a HUD as an option, otherwise WYSIWYG.

When I saw the interior, my biggest concern wasn't with the post mounted center screen. I just hope they will include some kind of instrument panel display, either in front of the driver like in the S/X or as a HUD. I would also really like to see sterring wheel controls. I think the single touch screen is great because there are also (programmable) sterring wheel controls in the S/X. That combination works. Having to look at and control everything only from the touch screen is IMHO a poor choice of user experience.
But then again, this is just a prototype. I hope Tesla reads these comments

I put my deposit down today but the dash situation is very close to being a deal breaker for me, personally.

Model 3 would be replacing a BMW 340i that I'm leasing currently... I intentionally leased the 340i in order to give Tesla more time to get a smaller luxury competitor read for the market but I'm not sure that the Tesla 3 is the car I'm looking for.

I always thought a 17 inch square screen looks totally out of place in a car, including the Model S and X, and I look at computer screens all day. I don't need to stare at one also in my car and IT staring back at me. I'M HERE, LOOK AT ME!! Because it's a big, square, FLAT glass surface it's impossible to integrate it into anything and just looks ridiculously out of place.

Your opinion is noted - but it is also noted that the vast majority of Tesla customers disagree with you - including me, who stares at screens all day and enjoys the 17" screen in my Model S.

Sales numbers are all that matters and Tesla's sales growth trajectory is doing fine. Based on the early numbers for Model 3 reservations if you don't like its interior there are 10 people waiting behind you to buy the car anyway.

You're welcome to look out the window - the 17" screen isn't stopping you lol.

Your opinion is noted - but it is also noted that the vast majority of Tesla customers disagree with you - including me, who stares at screens all day and enjoys the 17" screen in my Model S.

Sales numbers are all that matters and Tesla's sales growth trajectory is doing fine. Based on the early numbers for Model 3 reservations if you don't like its interior there are 10 people waiting behind you to buy the car anyway.

It's a 15" in the Model 3.

It's a 15" in the Model 3.
One cool idea could be the concept of "smart phone as top dash console". This would allow you dock/charge yourr phone to the location reserved for the dash console, and connect to the car via bluetooth/wifi and pump stats to the phone.

You could choose whatever cockpit dash suits you fancy via the app and it would not add any cost to the car.
Well one thing is for sure, if that 15" display dies you will be SOL, no speed info, nav, battery status, AC. Hopefully they will had Speed info to the phone app in addition to the other stuff.

Is it possible that they are planning to have drivers use voice control for many functions, therefore making the touchscreen less relevant for, say, climate control or radio? I would like to see a HUD though. Heck, maybe if they don't someone can come up with an aftermarket one.

That's just it, when I'm driving a car, I don't care to "experience" a computer screen.

I know others have already said this but I feel the need to say it again. If your statement is true then you do not want a Tesla of any type. ALL dash components are computer screens. Even the cluster in the S and X is actually an LCD screen. You will be staring at a computer screen no matter what. With any luck the Bolt or Leaf 2.0 will suit your needs. I am not one to think Tesla has to sell every electric car in the world. Other vendors might do something more to your tastes.

I also agree with others that the ≡ is still going to get some more refinements between now and release.

It's one thing if it's a view screen only but people have to realize this is an input screen too. Even with the big application buttons on the S, I mishit it all the time because the vehicle is moving. Maybe it's from the lack of air suspension or an unknown neurological condition I'm not aware of. All of that information on a single screen just screams cluttered. Gotta cut costs somewhere.

Is it possible that they are planning to have drivers use voice control for many functions, therefore making the touchscreen less relevant for, say, climate control or radio? I would like to see a HUD though. Heck, maybe if they don't someone can come up with an aftermarket one.
I have a real distain for voice controls, lets hope they skip that entirely and include an EKG sensor that amplifies and reads your brain waves so that you can merely think "Play My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Mama by Frank Zappa" and thus....

When I saw the interior, my biggest concern wasn't with the post mounted center screen. I just hope they will include some kind of instrument panel display, either in front of the driver like in the S/X or as a HUD. I would also really like to see sterring wheel controls. I think the single touch screen is great because there are also (programmable) sterring wheel controls in the S/X. That combination works. Having to look at and control everything only from the touch screen is IMHO a poor choice of user experience.
But then again, this is just a prototype. I hope Tesla reads these comments
From the Tesla drivers comments it sounds like a very conscious design decision they plan to carry through to production. To me the subtext says get used to the diminished driver role and adjust to a future where the car will be driving itself most of the time not needing you thumbs on a wheel hovering ergonomically with in reach of volume rockers and call answer buttons, nor eyes focused foward at an instrument panel. The Model 3 feels very much analogous to the the luxurious first class passenger lounge to prepare you before you board your cabin with a bed and shower.

It's one thing if it's a view screen only but people have to realize this is an input screen too. Even with the big application buttons on the S, I mishit it all the time because the vehicle is moving.

I hear you - I mis-hit buttons too. What I do most of the time to avoid that is brace my other fingers against the frame of the screen so it steadies my hand, and then use my index finger to hit whatever button I need.