TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Tesla Grin Activation Pedal

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by J1mbo, Aug 30, 2013.

1. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

I spend a lot time in stop/start traffic, and one of the things that would be a huge problem for me is if the go-pedal is too "twitchy". The P85 may be able to do 0-60 in 4-and-a-bit seconds, but it doesn't mean that I want to do that every time I touch the pedal!

So, how well-behaved is the MS in heavy traffic? Is the application of power to the wheels graded like a J-curve or is it more like an on/off switch? What is the weighing like on the pedal? Does it get stiffer as you push it down or not?

Being in the UK, I haven't had the opportunity to go for a test-drive yet, so it would good to hear some owner experiences!

2. Zextraterrestrial

It is well done. It is just as easy to creep at 1 mph as it is to do 0-60 fasssst

Stiffness is the same throughout.

3. GlennAlanBerry

I have a P85, and it is very easy to control the throttle (and your acceleration rate). It is no problem in stop and go traffic.

4. caddieo

caddieo Member

You can also put it on creep and let it behave like an auto transmission car, controlling the start and stop with the brake pedal.

5. achaar

achaar Member

I came from an Audi S8, and this is so much smoother. None of the throttle tip-in learch or lag.

6. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

The only time it is a real problem is when it is very very cold (or you have a full charge) with no regen and you have to rely on the "real" brakes.

7. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

As stated, accelerator pedal is not a problem when starting, plenty of control and not twitchy. The shift to regen at low speeds can be jerky for me. Maybe i'm not taking enough time to feather the accelerator through the neutral zone.

8. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I don't understand.

- - - Updated - - -

One of my favorite games in really bad traffic is to try to get the car to move at "0 mph" on the display. The car does 1/2mph better than any car I've driven before.

9. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

You've hit on one of the marvelous features of the Model S, something that separates it from every gas powered car you've ever driven: the throttle response algorithm. Tesla spent years perfecting the technology behind this. As you press the accelerator pedal, not only the voltage to the AC motor changes, but also the frequency! This allows for unprecedented smooth starts. When you combine this with steering input, such as turning at a stop sign, the blend of steering geometry and power delivery is simply perfection.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

What everyone else has said. That was one of my concerns too, but it's really the best mannered stop-and-go car there is. It's not like any other high powered car.

11. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

I assume that this is the same responsiveness as in the S85 or the 60...

12. ToddRLockwood

Yes, the same smooth power delivery—just not as much power under medium-to-full pedal.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And still tweaking. The new firmware upgrade has an improved creep algorithm. Wonder what it does better?

14. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

And, the same accelerator pedal sensitivity (with no creep) makes it incredibly easy to maneuver this big car and reverse it into almost any parking spot with surgical precision.

15. ken830

ken830 Model S (Res#P12,447)

One of many problems with a gasoline engine is that it can't run slower than idle. Even at the transmission's lowest gear (a result of a gasoline engine's inability to produce power outside a narrow band), that translate to about 4- or 5-mph at the slowest. To go slower (or to start from a stop), something needs to slip -- it's the transmission or the clutch.

In an electric car, you can easily go 0.001 MPH or 120 MPH or anything in between without any problems, lags, lurches, or shifts. And the throttle control is silky smooth and nearly latency-free.

Bottom line -- Driving a gasoline car is a nightmare in traffic. How did we ever think this was acceptable?!

16. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Thanks everyone for all the good advice! Sounds like nothing to worry about. Looking forward to getting behind the wheel and trying it out for myself!

17. ToddRLockwood

One of my favorite things to do in the Model S is creep through parking lots at exactly 5mph, as if the car was on a conveyor belt. To passers-by it looks like magic.