Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla hate is real

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was my first time driving out to SF and parking on the streets since I bought the car 2 weeks ago and it has already been vandalized. Looks like someone kicked the rear driver quarter panel and also maybe keyed the rear driver side door. My last car was a BMW 5 series and it has never been vandalized the 6 or so years I've owned it. The Tesla hate appears to be very real. If I saw whoever touched my car I would've went berserk on em.

IMG_6071.jpg
IMG_6084.jpg
IMG_6082.jpg

Last edited:
happened to me 2x already here in NH. one of the dents is in the same spot as yours (your 2nd and 3rd photo). Feels like it can be popped back out from the back side, if I can figure out how to remove the lining in the wheel well....

The Tesla hate appears to be very rIf I saw whoever touched my car I would've went berserk on em.

Oh, get over yourself! A lot fewer people than you’d like to think give a crap what car you drive.

Have you seen that certain category of “drivers” in SF? You would have totally shown that old woman, should you have caught her in the act.
Your first thought should have been “crap, somebody smacked my car with their door” (cause that’s exactly what it looks like).

No, people don't hate your Tesla, least of all in the world capital of commie eco-smugness, nor do they hate mine in my small enclve of whatever’s left of red-blooded Texas (coincidentally, the town with the second-highest percentage of registered Teslas, after SF, per the local Tesla store).

Oh, get over yourself! A lot fewer people than you’d like to think give a crap what car you drive.

Have you seen that certain category of “drivers” in SF? You would have totally shown that old woman, should you have caught her in the act.
Your first thought should have been “crap, somebody smacked my car with their door” (cause that’s exactly what it looks like).

No, people don't hate your Tesla, least of all in the world capital of commie eco-smugness, nor do they hate mine in my small enclve of whatever’s left of red-blooded Texas (coincidentally, the town with the second-highest percentage of registered Teslas, after SF, per the local Tesla store).
relax brother

there were no adjacent parking spaces so no one parked next to me. It's possible someone deliberately stopped next to my car on the whole block to open their car door even though directly behind me were no parking garage spaces with room to pull into. either way, that's the city life. i've gotten dent removal quotes and they're ranging from $3-500.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
happened to me 2x already here in NH. one of the dents is in the same spot as yours (your 2nd and 3rd photo). Feels like it can be popped back out from the back side, if I can figure out how to remove the lining in the wheel well....
OMG I have the same dent on the fender well too. I think it is from a door ding though. I removed the fender lining but it was useless. The metal is double walled. I bought glue PDR kit but unsuccessful too. My cermic coat is too slippery. Glue won't hold on to the car paint.

there were no adjacent parking spaces so no one parked next to me. It's possible someone deliberately stopped next to my car on the whole block to open their car door even though directly behind me were no parking garage spaces with room to pull into. either way, that's the city life. i've gotten dent removal quotes and they're ranging from $3-500.
Or it could’ve happened some other time? Unless you do a walk around every time....

Reactions: gene
We live in Long Beach but on the edge of where Los Alamitos and Seal Beach meet, our favorite grocery market is a Ralph's that is kind of across from the Seal Beach Leisure World, I was in my car waiting on the wife to grab a couple items once and there are a lot of elderly well meaning but very careless drivers coming from the Leisure World getting out of their cars, this time in particular a lady threw her door open into the car next to her and when it bounced off of the car she looked at the door like "What the heck?" threw it open again and then held it onto the car while she climbed out and I watched the door scrape up the side as she vacated the car and the suspension rose up a little.

Did she mean to do it? probably not, maybe she did not know?, maybe she did not care? I could see the scratches from 50 to 60 ft. away where I was parked and it was a nice car! hers, not so much, I felt bad for the owner of that car and watched them get in on the drivers side and drive off while the fresh scratches were in the passengers side, what could I do though, run over and say "hey, that nice little old lady from Pasadena just trashed your door!" Nah that ain't me!

Moral of the story; I always park in the back there now.

One a sidenote, but still relevant to this. Does anyone know a car cover which can be thrown rather quickly over the car? I remember seeing a video on the official Tesla Car cover which looked a bit too secure & setup took too long for i.e. covering the car for just a day or so.

relax brother

That's "whatever’s left of red-blooded Texas" for you I guess ;)

In all seriousness though, as for the OP, such dings always suck, but it doesn't look like vandalism to me at all. I've had similar dings after coming back to the car park from the grocery store, once my whole rear fender was cracked because some idiot smashed into it while getting into his parking spot. Luckily in that case, an eyewitness had seen the offender and testified against him when I called the police to the scene. The offender tried his best do deny the fact, but looking at the matching damage and markings on his car, the case was obvious.

Last edited:
SF is an urban environment. Not sure you’d fare that much better in NYC, Chicago, etc. A higher concentration of inconsiderate people, people who shouldn’t be driving, vandals, students, disgruntled people, you name it, and less space for everyone to share. Lots of opportunities to have things like this happen with or without malicious intent. And even if there was malicious intent on someone’s part, many reasons probably come before the make of the vehicle.

I don’t discount the possibility there are people around who dislike Tesla, or the people they perceive to be driving them, just that it’s a pretty low likelihood that’s the reason this happened.

We live in Long Beach but on the edge of where Los Alamitos and Seal Beach meet, our favorite grocery market is a Ralph's that is kind of across from the Seal Beach Leisure World, I was in my car waiting on the wife to grab a couple items once and there are a lot of elderly well meaning but very careless drivers coming from the Leisure World getting out of their cars, this time in particular a lady threw her door open into the car next to her and when it bounced off of the car she looked at the door like "What the heck?" threw it open again and then held it onto the car while she climbed out and I watched the door scrape up the side as she vacated the car and the suspension rose up a little.

Did she mean to do it? probably not, maybe she did not know?, maybe she did not care? I could see the scratches from 50 to 60 ft. away where I was parked and it was a nice car! hers, not so much, I felt bad for the owner of that car and watched them get in on the drivers side and drive off while the fresh scratches were in the passengers side, what could I do though, run over and say "hey, that nice little old lady from Pasadena just trashed your door!" Nah that ain't me!

Moral of the story; I always park in the back there now.

You should have contacted the driver of the damaged car or left a note stating here is the license plate of the vehicle that damaged your car. Anyhow, I agree with you about parking in the back of the lot. I will not park in the front of a store. However, parking in the back of the lot may open you up to a break-in.

I was parked in a lot once, and some lady flung her door open into my front fender. I got out of the car, called her out on it. She told me a few colorful words and told me to **** off. I could tell it wouldn't be worth persuing because her care was a huge piece of junk. I knew she didn't have money. When examining the fender, she put a crease in the body panel and damaged the paint. My car was an 87 RX-7, the paint had lacquer check, and I only had liability. I just dealt with it.

I decided I will only Uber/Lyft to S.F.