Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla hate is real

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in Long Beach but on the edge of where Los Alamitos and Seal Beach meet, our favorite grocery market is a Ralph's that is kind of across from the Seal Beach Leisure World, I was in my car waiting on the wife to grab a couple items once and there are a lot of elderly well meaning but very careless drivers coming from the Leisure World getting out of their cars, this time in particular a lady threw her door open into the car next to her and when it bounced off of the car she looked at the door like "What the heck?" threw it open again and then held it onto the car while she climbed out and I watched the door scrape up the side as she vacated the car and the suspension rose up a little.

Did she mean to do it? probably not, maybe she did not know?, maybe she did not care? I could see the scratches from 50 to 60 ft. away where I was parked and it was a nice car! hers, not so much, I felt bad for the owner of that car and watched them get in on the drivers side and drive off while the fresh scratches were in the passengers side, what could I do though, run over and say "hey, that nice little old lady from Pasadena just trashed your door!" Nah that ain't me!

Moral of the story; I always park in the back there now.

Haha. I live in that area, go to Ralph's and parents live in LW.

Only reading your post just now is the first time it registered to me about being more careful about parkng lot mishaps there. Probably because my baseline is the San Gabriel valley and those parking lots.

Reactions: gilscales
hey now,

I rode the gondola yesterday. End of of the day. When I whipped out my app to warm up the car, someone said, "What's up with that"? I explained I had an electric car, was warming up the battery.

Then I said "In 5 years, no one will want a gas powered car". Some cats in the gondola looked at me like, "F you and your Tesla".

They were right. My approach was totally wrong. I should have talked about the benefits of the car. Instead, I was hating on ICE cars.

Note to self: Don't be a Tesla Dick. The goal is to sell electric cars to others, not, tell them their car sucks.

Peace and love!

My story is similar but it happened at the same theme park on 2 separate occassiona. We went to Gilroy Gardens in the Bay Area. It’s a kid theme park so I couldn’t quite park 2 miles away and have my family walk that far. So I bit the bullet and parked at a regular spot. In fact, the parking spaces there were relatively large and I made sure I parked dead in the middle within the lines. Of course, we came back with a big old dent on the driver’s door. Fast forward another 2 months, here we were at the same park. Honestly I didn’t think twice because who would have thought it could happen again at the same place. Sure it did on the passenger side. The first time it cost me $100 and the second time will cost $150 which I find very reasonable. If anyone needs dent removal, feel free to pm me.

To me, that looks more like normal bay area door dings/scrapes/damage than intentional vandalism. I guess it could be very discreet/limited vandalism, but IME vandalism is usually more obvious. My wife's Plug-in Prius got a whole host of dents/scratches/etc just like those within a few months of being driven around East bay.

Reactions: Blup85
there were no adjacent parking spaces so no one parked next to me. It's possible someone deliberately stopped next to my car on the whole block to open their car door even though directly behind me were no parking garage spaces with room to pull into. either way, that's the city life. i've gotten dent removal quotes and they're ranging from $3-500.

Double parkers. I've had that done to me, in SF, while I was in the car. I tried to do the WTF look with the shrugged shoulders and raised hands, but they pretended to ignore me and ran into a nearby building. Ignored me again as they ran back into their car and drove off. Yes, there were closer cars they could have double parked next to.

It's a large part of the reason why I just drive the ICE whenever I need to go into the City. It's a hell of a lot easier getting the ICE fixed than a Tesla. That and there's no charging in the City. For a supposedly "progressive" city, the charging situation is atrocious. There really aren't any nearby SuperChargers. Daly City would be the nearest one, but unless you're quite close, that's a HELL of a lot of traffic to fight through. It's not really cost cuz South Bay real estate is just as expensive or more. Any chargers in the City itself are closely watched by other EV drivers who basically use them as parking spaces.

Anyways, it does look just like someone who threw open a door. Likely a double parker. There is Tesla hate though. Some moron went around vandalizing Teslas. It was in the news. I'm sure Google would turn up the articles.

Reactions: aspec818
I was parked in a lot once, and some lady flung her door open into my front fender. I got out of the car, called her out on it. She told me a few colorful words and told me to **** off. I could tell it wouldn't be worth persuing because her care was a huge piece of junk. I knew she didn't have money. When examining the fender, she put a crease in the body panel and damaged the paint. My car was an 87 RX-7, the paint had lacquer check, and I only had liability. I just dealt with it.

Shoulda taken a pic of her license plate and turned it in.....it would likely have been covered by your Uninsured Motorist coverage which would have covered your deductible and not hit you with any points on your insurance.

Shoulda taken a pic of her license plate and turned it in.....it would likely have been covered by your Uninsured Motorist coverage which would have covered your deductible and not hit you with any points on your insurance.

Uninsured motorist coverage doesn't mean you won't have a rate hike when making a claim. Depends on carrier, size of claim, etc. My wife's Mini got rear-ended with absolutely no way she could have been at fault and they still raised our rates after paying out on the $2800 repair.

In this day and age I would think this thing is kind of rare, you can get your smart phone out and video the damage, video the other car showing their car caused the damage and video the person telling you off... then hand it off to your insurance company and/or the cops.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby