Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla hate is real

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Minor in comparison, but on Sunday after my Bears lost I had to drive from Soldier Field to East Lansing, MI to drop son off for school. I parked in a lot by my hotel which has a Tesla charger. Tons of regular spots were available. Came back a little while later to get something out of the car and a pickup and SUV parked right next to me so close I would have a tough time squeezing into car. I only needed to get into trunk. In the morning I just used Summons to pull the car out. Then I went over to the Meijer to get a Starbucks for the drive home. Lot was sparsely populated. Came out and a car again parked super close. Again summons to the rescue.

this is not about Tesla but about people being assholes.
Go park in a european city like rome or paris, you get this *sugar* no matter what you drive as long as it looks more expensive than a garbage can.

That's true, same is true in Berlin or Frankfurt. Painful to see beautiful new 740i or Audi A8 with a giant dent in the door from where someone jealous driving a sh*tbox beat the crap out of it. I'd say it's actually uncommon to see a nice higher end car in most European cities that isn't dented this way... at least in my limited experience.

This is not common however in the US, only in certain enclaves like San Francisco. Let's hope the madness can be stopped there.

lol if you think people intentionally are out to get you cause you drive the lowest model tesla they make..... big ego eh?

Its just another car door opened into yours

Mine doesn't have any door dings (yet) because I'm an OCD freak about where I will park it.

Tesla Model 3 is not a "high end car" but it is still financially out of reach for about 90% of people who don't prioritize a car over things like retirement savings, owning a home, etc. The average person who can't afford one doesn't know it costs $50,000, they just know Teslas are crazy expensive. I had someone ask me how much mine cost and guessed it was $80,000.

In the future use the "quote" function when responding to someone since otherwise you look like a loon yelling in an empty room.

I have one on the lower spot as yours. My theory is it came from the seatbelts buckle.

Do you have kids? There aren't any seat belt holder on the top of the back seats. When the kids unbuckle and open the door, sometimes the buckle will fall outside the car. They try to close the door and it hits the buckle. Then the kids will act like nothing happened and trys again after putting the seatbelts back inside.

You may be onto something. I do have a kid that enters and exits on that side of the door. I will have to investigate.

Reactions: dhrivnak
One a sidenote, but still relevant to this. Does anyone know a car cover which can be thrown rather quickly over the car? I remember seeing a video on the official Tesla Car cover which looked a bit too secure & setup took too long for i.e. covering the car for just a day or so.
I use my Tesla car cover every day, and whenever i park in a public area fro very long. Anal, I know, but it's pretty quick and easy once you develop and standard folding-unfolding procedure. I did it with my S for four years. That does vastly reduce the ding risk, but also marks you as obsessive/compulsive.

I park away from everyone, way away, but I know that's not possible in a big city where you have take what you can get. Another trick: Park next to another nice car since they have an interest in not dinging up their rig as well. Final rules, never park next to a Cadillac, Lincoln or other sofa on wheels or a vehicle that is obviously infested with children (mini-vans, car seats visible, etc...)
I do the same, look for nice cars. I also stay away from 2 doors since their doors are larger.

I use my Tesla car cover every day, and whenever i park in a public area fro very long. Anal, I know, but it's pretty quick and easy once you develop and standard folding-unfolding procedure. I did it with my S for four years. That does vastly reduce the ding risk, but also marks you as obsessive/compulsive.

A guy where I worked a few years ago used a car cover every day on his vette. He was pretty careful with it too. It still scratched the hell out of his car, which is what car covers do.

So door dings vs lots of scratches, pick your poison I guess.

A guy where I worked a few years ago used a car cover every day on his vette. He was pretty careful with it too. It still scratched the hell out of his car, which is what car covers do.

So door dings vs lots of scratches, pick your poison I guess.
My car cover has never caused such a thing. If one uses it ONLY on a clean car and keep the car clean all the time car cover scratches do not happen. If driving through rain or the car is dirty I definitely don't use the cover. I also clean the cover roughly once a quarter. Further, my cars have always been fully prepped including ceramic coating and clear wrap below that. Most dirt and dust does not adhere very well to such a surface. This approach only works with the aforementioned obsessive/compulsive approach.

My car cover has never caused such a thing. If one uses it ONLY on a clean car and keep the car clean all the time car cover scratches do not happen. If driving through rain or the car is dirty I definitely don't use the cover. I also clean the cover roughly once a quarter. Further, my cars have always been fully prepped including ceramic coating and clear wrap below that. Most dirt and dust does not adhere very well to such a surface. This approach only works with the aforementioned obsessive/compulsive approach.

If it touches the car it scratches the car. Even if the car and the cover are clean if the cover is moved, like when it's windy, it's going to scratch the car.

Car covers are great for cars that are going to sit in storage for months or years at a time since the cover can be applied and then left undisturbed until it needs to be removed.

I've never owned one, but I imagine if I shine a bright light at the cars you've used your car covers on I can show you just how scratched up they actually are. While those scratches might not be as visible in normal lighting or at a distance they do affect the overall clarity of the paint and clearcoat, especially paint and clearcoat that is polished and well maintained.

P8uzn02.jpg

I have one on the lower spot as yours. My theory is it came from the seatbelts buckle.

Do you have kids? There aren't any seat belt holder on the top of the back seats. When the kids unbuckle and open the door, sometimes the buckle will fall outside the car. They try to close the door and it hits the buckle. Then the kids will act like nothing happened and trys again after putting the seatbelts back inside.
I had a similar issue on our Volt and it destroyed the door panel. $250 for me to fix myself.

If it touches the car it scratches the car. Even if the car and the cover are clean if the cover is moved, like when it's windy, it's going to scratch the car.

Car covers are great for cars that are going to sit in storage for months or years at a time since the cover can be applied and then left undisturbed until it needs to be removed.

I've never owned one, but I imagine if I shine a bright light at the cars you've used your car covers on I can show you just how scratched up they actually are. While those scratches might not be as visible in normal lighting or at a distance they do affect the overall clarity of the paint and clearcoat, especially paint and clearcoat that is polished and well maintained.

P8uzn02.jpg
Yes, that is the way to see the scratches. My P85D with 35,000 miles of that treatment already has been posted elsewhere here. If the blue car has not had paint correction it looks as though it is fairly typical new car delivery condition. All of my last few cars have had paint correction and all of them looked rather that way on delivery. As a detail person; they'll tell you that high end cars almost never have really good factory preparation.

As volume reaches, say, 300,000 vehicles/year in a given facility with a given model, paint quality rises dramatically. Thus, a Toyota Camy or Ford F-150 are good examples of superb initial paint quality. All those swirls and 'polish' marks are also often associated with poor vehicle cleaning practices too. Brush car washes do it quite easily even if the initial paint is good.

Other than the army of crotchfruit that come tumbling out of the sliding door waving around their toys without a care in the world. If they hit your car, the parent is gonna just roll their eyes and grab the kid by the arm and go.
Exactly! They also don't care about opening doors into your car or scratching up your paint with their dinosaurs. Kids don't care about other's people property or if they do sometimes they forget about what exactly they're doing. I don't have anything against kids, but kids are kids.

Last edited:
Mine doesn't have any door dings (yet) because I'm an OCD freak about where I will park it.

Tesla Model 3 is not a "high end car" but it is still financially out of reach for about 90% of people who don't prioritize a car over things like retirement savings, owning a home, etc. The average person who can't afford one doesn't know it costs $50,000, they just know Teslas are crazy expensive. I had someone ask me how much mine cost and guessed it was $80,000.

In the future use the "quote" function when responding to someone since otherwise you look like a loon yelling in an empty room.
Some of them are $80,000 mine was $79500 after taxes! Damn can't believe I paid that much for a car that still has issues!

Reactions: Stirfelt
Some of them are $80,000 mine was $79500 after taxes! Damn can't believe I paid that much for a car that still has issues!

It is a Corolla and nobody is envious of you for owning one.

At least according to some here.

My neighbor's daughter is super jealous of mine, but she's 19 year old college student who is lucky she even has a car.

If they hit your car, the parent is gonna just roll their eyes and grab the kid by the arm and go.
This whole thing can get ugly. I had a brand new Lexus a few years back that was wacked by some kid freely opening their door. I got out of my car and confronted the parents to show them the huge dent their kid just made. The father lied and said he couldn't see anything then accused me if being racist cause the family was black. LOL. I just laugh now. I'm not racist but things like this bring me closer and closer.