Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AP2 hardware is vastly superior to the hardware found in AP1. The programming is what they are having to play catch up on.

That remains to be seen.

Personally I think AP2 underestimated the difficulty of the problem and will never work as intended. They will have to upgrade it to meet the spec they sold.

I'd say there is a 50/50 chance it reaches parity with AP1, e.g. recognising motorbikes and driving straight in a lane.

That remains to be seen.

Personally I think AP2 underestimated the difficulty of the problem and will never work as intended. They will have to upgrade it to meet the spec they sold.

I'd say there is a 50/50 chance it reaches parity with AP1, e.g. recognising motorbikes and driving straight in a lane.

I’ll take that bet. Especially since it already drives straight in a lane.

Especially since it already drives straight in a lane.

Correction: Tesla AP2 already drives straight in SOME lanes... unless it's in love with a nearby truck, or gets confused by sun, rain, sleet, snow, or modified and partially erased or non-existent lane lines or lane lines of the wrong color or lane lines on a draw bridge.

Last edited:
Correction: Tesla already drives straight in SOME lanes... unless it's in love with a nearby truck, or gets confused by rain, sleet, snow, or modified and partially erased or non-existent lane lines.

I have an AP1 and AP2 car in my garage. They perform within 2% of each other, one is not clearly better than the other right now. All of the complaints you made were and are made about AP1.

I think what you meant is that it sees the motorcycles but renders them as cars on the screen. It is false to say that AP2+ hardware does not see motorcycles and even cyclists, it just does not render them as such.

I do think the distinction matters at least to some extent. Does it internally know which are motorcycles? Because AP1 knows. Does AP2 just know "something" is there or does it know cars/motorcycles from each other but just doesn't display them yet? Or doesn't do it reliably? Or some other reason.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I do think the distinction matters at least to some extent..

My reading of current state is that the interaction between car and pedestian / reindeer is a current limiting factor, and one of the reasons why robot vehicles currently enjoy 10x more minor accicdents than human directed vehicles. The interaction between on road vehicles is the easy bit. 2 way communication between cars and pedestians is more nuanced.

Fwiw
2 presumptive disagreements re tesla/mobileye

Tesla wanted to know the secret sauce to mobileye so to optimise best.

Mobileye requires all oems to share on road data back to mobileye.

Either reason could become irreconcilable.

Finally, mobileye had more to lose than tesla from tesla autopilot fatalities.

Tesla was never an important customer for Mobileye. Even with Model 3, volumes were going to be low in comparison to all their other, much larger auto manufacturers. Soon after working with Mobileye, it became apparent that the two companies differed on strategy. Tesla saw that Mobileye wasn’t going to improve their offerings quickly enough for them, and even worse, when their offerings did finally improve, it would allow all Tesla competitors equal AP parity with Tesla.

So Tesla soon started a parallel effort to create their own AP chipset so that they could get V2 of AP out well before the rest of the industry had it. For their part, Mobileye saw someone who could directly compete against them, was being irresponsible with their chip, and just wasn’t worth anything to their bottom line. Tesla and Mobileye then had their demands of each other that neither side wanted to give. Raw video from Tesla, and access to raw data streams from Mobileye. So Mobileye cut them off. This caught Tesla completely by surprise and effectively forced Tesla to sell new cars with no working AP for quite a while.

That Tesla managed to shrug off this seemingly major problem is a testament to Elon’s agility and his BSing talents.