Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Model S is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Old car: 2013 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid

A few years ago, I was looking into what my next car would be. For most of my life, I never cared much about cars. I was one of those "As long as my car is decent and gets me from point A to point B and doesn't give me any problems, I'm fine" kind of people. I've always been a tech enthusiast at heart and I was having a hard time finding a car that had a satisfying technology suite. I test drove a Toyota Avalon XLE Hybrid, thinking it was going to be my next car. It felt almost exactly the same as my 2013 Camry outside of a *slightly* better touch screen and an improved rear camera. There was no way I was going to pay for that at all. Then I test drove a Tesla Model S and was blown away. I have never been more impressed by new technology in my life.

I put a plan in place to get one and a few years later I finally have it. Can't believe it. This is my dream car and I'm going to enjoy every bit of it.

bHuF8N8.jpg

I just picked up my S two weeks ago today. It's an astonishing car that does so many big and small features correctly. The small are things like "no start/stop button", self-presenting door handles (that make you feel welcomed) and an always-on cruise-control (no need for hitting the on/off button). Big features are safety, over-the-air updates and an auto-pilot that drives pretty smartly on freeways (slows down early, moves out of the way for trucks, detects and adjusts to slower adjacent lanes, accelerates from a stop in a reasonable speed).

The only major issue I've seen so far with navigate-on-autopilot is that it sometimes changes lanes too much even on the mild lane change setting. Trying to mess around with that some.

I agree. Navigate on AutoPilot is a great feature... sometimes. It does surprisingly good selecting lanes and even taking most freeway exits. I do find it too aggressive with changing lanes, especially in rush hour traffic. The car in front is doing the speed I want but slows down for 30 seconds going up a hill or similar. My car changes to the left lane where it becomes the slow-poke. Add to that the known bug for HW < 3 where it will not change back from the left lane and it gets annoying.

I've found that it works well if you set your speed really high (here in Boston to like 78). You end up riding in the left lane most of the time but at least you're not holding up traffic.

But I also find my commute more relaxing if I turn Navigate-on-AutoPilot" off. Let's hope HW3 and upcoming releases make this better!

Reactions: trnunes
Old car: 2013 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid

A few years ago, I was looking into what my next car would be. For most of my life, I never cared much about cars. I was one of those "As long as my car is decent and gets me from point A to point B and doesn't give me any problems, I'm fine" kind of people. I've always been a tech enthusiast at heart and I was having a hard time finding a car that had a satisfying technology suite. I test drove a Toyota Avalon XLE Hybrid, thinking it was going to be my next car. It felt almost exactly the same as my 2013 Camry outside of a *slightly* better touch screen and an improved rear camera. There was no way I was going to pay for that at all. Then I test drove a Tesla Model S and was blown away. I have never been more impressed by new technology in my life.

I put a plan in place to get one and a few years later I finally have it. Can't believe it. This is my dream car and I'm going to enjoy every bit of it.

bHuF8N8.jpg
Awesome.

Reactions: trnunes
my man! Congrats. I came from a long-ish line of high performance German cars. //M's and AMG's. (one Range Rover Sport). Multiple. Fast. 500hp+. vehicles. Im a car guy. Aftermarket exhausts. Tuned engines. Some manual transmissions. For decades. Hated hearing about Teslas so much. Electric. No transmission (ugh). No exhaust? Ugh. No tachometer and revs? (Ugh). No superchargers or turbochargers? Ugh.

Then I drove one.

Sold the AMG. About to sell my other remaining mercedes. Selling the wifes Lexus later this year as she now has to have a Y.

My ICE days...are over. Period. End of story.