Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Model S is the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are a lucky owner. Good for you. But consider that since the average owner gets 70% of Rated range, about half of owners get even less than 70%.

That has not been my experience when talking at the Superchargers. Unless a person is WELL over the speed limit, on a nice day it’s not hard at all. Pull up the energy graph, and keep it under the rated range (on average).

Reactions: rafacq
That has not been my experience when talking at the Superchargers. Unless a person is WELL over the speed limit, on a nice day it’s not hard at all. Pull up the energy graph, and keep it under the rated range (on average).

Canadian highways have a limit of 100 km/h. European highways have a limit of 130 km/h, but going 160 is a common occurrence. Driving an average of 130 km/h will get you relatively close to the rated range. As a Canadian living abroad I fondly remember road trips around Ontario, but man, they really could build better roads, especially highways.

Congratulations again.

Your range will be dependent on your drive style. Short trips are not as efficient as long highway drives. Speed will also make a difference. 85MPH will not be as efficient as 70MPH.

From my experience my car has lost about 1% of its range. Warm days will certainly produce better range than cold winter days.

That said, don’t worry about miles. I switched my car to display energy and simply rely on how much battery percentage I have. I don’t charge my car every day. I plug in when the battery is below 60% SoC. Then I set the charge to stop at 90%.

Enjoy your car. It is a marvel of engineering!

Reactions: HrvatskaEV
Congrats CableZL, your smile will be visible every time that you're in the car! I got my MS last July after a 16 year love affair with a Camaro Z-28 and many performance cars before that. I don't drive much anymore, but look forward to each and every trip in the MS! Best wishes, Kula Guy
Old car: 2013 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid

A few years ago, I was looking into what my next car would be. For most of my life, I never cared much about cars. I was one of those "As long as my car is decent and gets me from point A to point B and doesn't give me any problems, I'm fine" kind of people. I've always been a tech enthusiast at heart and I was having a hard time finding a car that had a satisfying technology suite. I test drove a Toyota Avalon XLE Hybrid, thinking it was going to be my next car. It felt almost exactly the same as my 2013 Camry outside of a *slightly* better touch screen and an improved rear camera. There was no way I was going to pay for that at all. Then I test drove a Tesla Model S and was blown away. I have never been more impressed by new technology in my life.

I put a plan in place to get one and a few years later I finally have it. Can't believe it. This is my dream car and I'm going to enjoy every bit of it.

bHuF8N8.jpg

BTW, if you like geeky statistics, visit TeslaFi.com. You will not believe all the details about your car, battery performance, drain rates, efficiency, drives analysis and lots more. Wish I had subscribed on day 1!

There’s a free 2 week trial. If you use a referral you will get 4 free weeks. Certainly a great tool for many of us Tesla owners.

Note: TeslaFi is one of several tools. TezLab, and Stats are also highly rated, but for really detailed information, TeslaFi wins (IMHO).

"That said, don’t worry about miles. I switched my car to display energy and simply rely on how much battery percentage I have. I don’t charge my car every day. I plug in when the battery is below 60% SoC. Then I set the charge to stop at 90%. "

Best advice ever.
It took me 1.5 years to stop looking at the miles remaining, it drove me crazy in the winter especially I would go 4 miles and use up 15. I have to cover the dashboard with a little card I made (I know...). I changed it to % and I dont really look at it anymore, the card is off. The whole battery degradation of whatever you call it to lose charge, I dont want to know. I mean you can obsess on the car or just love it bc it is so amazing otherwise. The last thing I want to know is more details about my milage, or battery life etc.
I cant wait until the summer again.

I like TezLab - it regularly says I am 130% efficient!
I use TezLab also. Amazing that your "Efficiency" is 130%. That simply means that your actual miles is 30% more than the displayed rated miles. On average, Model S owners get about 70% of rated range (see here: TezLab). So if you are getting 130%, there must be some folks getting way less than 70% of what is displayed. To me that suggests that among the fleet of cars, the display of range is pretty useless. (Driving style can only vary so much). As mentioned by others, I switched my display to SOC, % of full. I just multiply the % of full charge by 2 to get a rough idea of my range, if I need to know.

• Informative
Reactions: Dare and rafacq
Congrats. Out of curiosity, did test the Model 3 or X? Or consider waiting for the Y?

I did test the Model 3 and the Model X. There were some things I didn't like about both. I prefer big sedans, but the X would be my second choice behind the S. I don't think I would get the 3.

Things I don't like about the Model 3:
  • The exterior door handles. I don't think I would ever get used to them to the point where I'd be OK with having to open the door like that. I much prefer the door handles on the S and X that pop out when you approach or press on them.
  • The single center display. I like having the display behind the steering wheel as well as the center display.
  • The overall design is just a tad too bubbly for me.
  • The aero wheel covers. I've never been a fan of hub caps at all.
Not that the model 3 is a bad car. It's just that if I'm going to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a car, I'm going to get exactly what I want. Even when I went to buy my 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE, the experience was something like this.

Me: *Walks up to salesperson.* Hi, I'm looking to buy a black 2013 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid. Do you have one of those I can test drive?
Him: Let me check. *Checks database* Yeah, we have one.
Me: Cool.

So we went on a test drive. I liked it. It was as expected and it was the first time I was going to have a rear camera.

Him: Are you sure you want a hybrid? I've got a regular Camry XLE you can test drive.
Me: Yeah I'm sure. I'll test drive the regular XLE, though. Couldn't hurt.

Test drove the Camry XLE...

Me: That was cool. I'll take the black Camry XLE Hybrid, though.
Him: I've also got an SE you can check out.
Me: ... Sure, I'll test drive that. (Using their gas, why not?)

Test drove the SE

Me: That was cool. I'll take the black Camry XLE Hybrid.

So the sales guy finally started to get the paperwork going. One of the managers came over to me in the mean time...

Manager: So what's the deal with the hybrid? It doesn't really save you much on gas...
Me: (Uhh, that's bullshit) Yeah it does. The car is rated for 38 highway and 40 city. The gas only cars don't get that much city mileage at all.

Ended up driving away with the black 2013 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE after test driving 4 different cars.

Reactions: SilverGS
Wonderful car. I love my 2016 Model S 90D. But among the false promises is range. Among Model S owners who use TezLab, their actual range is less than 70% of the displayed Rated Range. And the display of Rated Range may not reveal the full extent of battery degradation. Brand new cars will likely do better of course. But it should be more honestly revealed that Rated Range is more than a little optimistic.

I've found the rate range to be spot on. RR assumes no wind, 65F, and no hills, non pefrormance tires, etc. You know this right?
I have an S86D and I can easily get 240 wh/mi. But I prefer to go faster 8)
So I'm not quite sure what you're getting on about here....

I use TezLab also. Amazing that your "Efficiency" is 130%. That simply means that your actual miles is 30% more than the displayed rated miles. On average, Model S owners get about 70% of rated range (see here: TezLab). So if you are getting 130%, there must be some folks getting way less than 70% of what is displayed. To me that suggests that among the fleet of cars, the display of range is pretty useless. (Driving style can only vary so much). As mentioned by others, I switched my display to SOC, % of full. I just multiply the % of full charge by 2 to get a rough idea of my range, if I need to know.

That's one way to look at it.

I like RR because it is units of energy calibrated for the car you are in. This will be true in any car with RR you drive the future.

Percent is not calibrated at all, so someday when your rental car is an EV, or you get a 2nd car with different battery size and/or
efficiency your experience with your previous car will not help you.

e.g. A drive that took N miles of RR will still take about N miles, but the percent displays can be wildly off (e.g. Go from Tesla to a Leaf )

The trick is to stop thinking of them as miles. They are "units of energy calibrated to your car".

I'm probably wasting my breath here...never mind 8)

I've found the rate range to be spot on. RR assumes no wind, 65F, and no hills, non pefrormance tires, etc. You know this right?
What I am "getting on about" is two types of false advertising. (Plus a third problem)
These cars have an "Ideal Range" and a "Rated Range". At the time of purchase it was explained that while the Ideal Range is generally unattainable, the real range should be readily attainable. While you and your car are doing well, the fleet average for the Model S is 70% of Rated Range (see here TezLab). In support of this, an informal survey of Model S owners on this site revealed that most Model S owners have a consumption in the low to mid 300's (wh/mi). Your 240 is exceptional. So an average real range of 70% of Rated Range is false advertising number one.
Worse is that the cars display of full charge range conceals rather than reveals battery degradation. When my 2016 90D was 6 months old I began an examination of my terrible range (200 miles instead of the like-new 280 miles displayed). Uncritical owners told me that it was all in my driving style. Just as you are claiming. Using the cars trip computer I discovered that the useable capacity of my "90 kwh" battery was 72 kwh. This is significant battery degradation which is not only premature, but is concealed by a false display of like-new range.
Now there is a third problem. As of May of 2019 software changes have reduced range a little more. And have limited supercharging speed considerably.
These three deficiencies are significant. And Tesla has firmly asserted that they have no intention of correcting them.

"Tezlab" is an app for your phone which augments the information available from your car. They have hundreds or thousands of owner/users. Their app has a parameter for "efficiency". It is simply actual miles achieved divided by rated miles used. Their page at TezLab shows that among all of their Model S owners the average efficiency is 69% (last time I looked). So, for everyone who tells me that they easily achieve rated range, there is someone who gets much less than 70% of rated range.
Prospective owners should know that over time their achievable range will most likely be around 70% of the displayed rated range. For whatever reason.

A sure way to spoil much of the delight of owning a Tesla is to obsess over data points. The cars are fast, get great range, charge quickly and provide fantastic all electric transportation.

If you find yourself using extra range, but still get to your destination with reserve, that is a trip to enjoy.

It's like taking a Supermodel out to dinner and some drinks, then obsessing about the amount of the tip. Enjoy the ride.

Sometimes all the need to "win" and generate the best data can get in the way of the joy of ownership.

What I am "getting on about" is two types of false advertising. (Plus a third problem)

In support of this, an informal survey of Model S owners on this site revealed that most Model S owners have a consumption in the low to mid 300's (wh/mi). Your 240 is exceptional. So an average real range of 70% of Rated Range is false advertising number one.

I can easily hit 240 as well. And when I care about range, I regularly do. But most of the time, I **REALLY** like that pedal on the right, so I'm nowhere close to 240. So the specs you might find over the life of my car are misleading. When I care about range, I have it. When I care about fun, I'll choose that instead. I suspect my autopilot range is 30% higher than my "as driven by Kev" range.

It's certainly true that Tesla's range varies much more widely than any ICE I've ever owned, and prior to superchargers, the consequences in terms of recharge/refill time were much much higher. But equally, it's a much better car, and I'm very happy to recognize that the mileage I get is at least somewhat under my control (Not elevation, weather or temperature).

I think this is far less to do with false advertising than it has to do with owner education and initially setting expectations.

You are a lucky owner. Good for you. But consider that since the average owner gets 70% of Rated range, about half of owners get even less than 70%.
Only if they are driving in Canada in winter in the Prairie Provinces or hit a snowstorm elsewhere, or drive 80 mph or more. I actually changed from Rated to Ideal because Rated was way too conservative. I suspect the vast majority of owners get Rated Range plus or minus 5% in almost all conditions.

Old car: 2013 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid

A few years ago, I was looking into what my next car would be. For most of my life, I never cared much about cars. I was one of those "As long as my car is decent and gets me from point A to point B and doesn't give me any problems, I'm fine" kind of people. I've always been a tech enthusiast at heart and I was having a hard time finding a car that had a satisfying technology suite. I test drove a Toyota Avalon XLE Hybrid, thinking it was going to be my next car. It felt almost exactly the same as my 2013 Camry outside of a *slightly* better touch screen and an improved rear camera. There was no way I was going to pay for that at all. Then I test drove a Tesla Model S and was blown away. I have never been more impressed by new technology in my life.

I put a plan in place to get one and a few years later I finally have it. Can't believe it. This is my dream car and I'm going to enjoy every bit of it.

bHuF8N8.jpg

Dude. I can't remember being happier for someone more than I am for you right now. Congrats!

Having owned all three current Tesla Models, I still think the S is the best.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Only if they are driving in Canada in winter in the Prairie Provinces or hit a snowstorm elsewhere, or drive 80 mph or more. I actually changed from Rated to Ideal because Rated was way too conservative. I suspect the vast majority of owners get Rated Range plus or minus 5% in almost all conditions.
The average range among all of the Model S users of TezLab is 70% of Rated. So it is not possible that "the vast majority of owners get Rated Range plus or minus 5%...".
If the distribution is normal, then half of the owners get WORSE than 70% of Rated Range. Using only 240 wh/mile is truly exceptional.