Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Motors website should have a new feature: deliveries per state and country.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
The Tesla Model S EV actually just has been born, meaning that it does not have a long history like the Mercedes S Class.

The Tesla Model S EV is an iconic product (just like the iPhone) and it is going to be sold and to be delivered for many years to come. And at a certain moment in time there will be many millions driving around on the roads of our planet. I think that it will be nice to be able to see the numbers growing (every month/quarter/year), and how fast the Tesla Model S becomes well-known all over the world.

This new page on the website of Tesla Motors should show the statistics of the historical growth of how many Tesla Model S EV's will have been delivered to customers per state and per country. So these numbers are from the past, these are certainly not predictions of expected future sales figures. Every month/quarter/year the new numbers should be added to the already existing numbers.

After reading George B.'s last blog post on TM, the stats would show a really disproportionate percentage in the State of California - it's really remarkable how many have been sold in CA alone according to his blog post:

"And how are things going in California? Well, today we registered our 3,000th Model S in the Golden State. That pretty much says it all!" - George B.

After reading George B.'s last blog post on TM, the stats would show a really disproportionate percentage in the State of California - it's really remarkable how many have been sold in CA alone according to his blog post:

"And how are things going in California? Well, today we registered our 3,000th Model S in the Golden State. That pretty much says it all!" - George B.

From time to time we are treated with such numbers, which is OK, but I am talking about a webpage where the most actual status of this kind of information can be seen, and the most important thing is that it the numbers will be accurate because they come right frome the source: Tesla Motors.

I don't think Tesla is about to provide that level of detailed information.

I created a spreadsheet - one of the tabs includes state-by-state delivery information for over 400 Teslas. Although this only represents 5% of the total, it may be sufficient for statistical purposes for the larger states, such as California, Texas, Florida, NY and Washington.

Although all the press is reporting about how well Tesla's are selling in CA, they may actually be selling even better in Washington on a per capita basis.

Tesla Deliveries - see "State" tab

I don't think Tesla is about to provide that level of detailed information.

I actually really do not think that the information that I want is that detailed at all.

After every quarter at the earnings call Tesla Motors already provides a total total number of delivered Tesla Model S EV's:
2012 Q3 = 250
2012 Q4 = 2,400
2013 Q1 = 4,750
Total = 7,400

I presume that all these 7,400 cars have been delivered to customers in the USA.
I just would like to know how many were delivered to each state.
When the the figures of the following quarters will come, I will just add those to the already existing figures.
How much harmful can that be?

What use would this information be outside the company? AFAIK other manufacturers don't provide the same thing. And even with monthly numbers that are usually provided, there's lots of over-analyzing by the media in extrapolating future sales from these numbers. Given Tesla is operating on a reservation basis, it doesn't even make sense to release monthly data, much less data broken in to such granularity.

Would it be possible to find out how many Tesla Model S EV's were registered in a certain month?
Here in The Netherlands we can do that. Because without registration no car is allowed to be driven on public roads.

Perhaps, but it would be hard to do because many states, such as Texas, do this by county so you'd have to get the stats piece by piece.

I'm sure BMW, MB, GM, etc. would love to see those numbers. Very beneficial in determining marketing budget utilization, customer behavior, and so on. Between auto and oil companies, I'm confident there are "War Rooms" dedicated to counter the ground swell of Tesla. Demand for autos is relatively static - every Tesla purchase is a lost sale for them.

The data will be available eventually, when the book is release. Title... ? Anyone care to give it a shot?

Getting detailed information on where Tesla's are being sold would help BMW, MB, Audi, etc determine where to focus their marketing expenses. At the local dealership level, it would assist these dealerships in understanding if a sales downturn was because of buyers moving to other cars, or local economic conditions. Market research is extremely expensive - I'm sure that Tesla would not want to give this information away for free to allow their competitors to leverage this information to their advantage.