Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Network and the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about how and when the Tesla Network might debut. A lot of people seem to think the Tesla Network wont appear until full autonomy is achieved. I think it will arrive much earlier and I really think the Tesla Network will differentiate Tesla vs. competitors as much as the Supercharger network.

As soon as Tesla can ramp it's Model 3 production and is well on it's way to meeting demand for the highly-optioned vehicles, I think you will start seeing Tesla producing SL versions for their own use in the first stage of the Tesla Network. These would be the $36,000 base versions and I suspect may not even have Enhanced Autopilot enabled. They would be deployed in locations where there are high concentrations of young adults that may not need a car often (think college campuses and urban professional centers). The cars could be kept at any number of locations with banks of destination chargers.

The Tesla Network could allow for hourly, daily or weekly use with associated rates to be available for use like a city bike. Users who don't have a car, but need to make quick trips out of the city center or to somewhere that public transportation does not reach, could use the service. With a revenue stream of just $50 per day, the $36,000 SL version of the car would pay for itself in 2 years. Insurance and the cost of charging would be covered by the rate.

Once leased vehicles start returning to Tesla, they can use those assets to expand the network. I believe a large fleet of Tesla Network vehicles are worth much more to Tesla than sales to individuals.

Time will tell, but I'm thinking that the Tesla Network will be yet another huge difference maker that none of the other car manufacturers are considering.

Reactions: Graffi