Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Time Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Arnold Panz

Model Sig 304, VIN 542
Apr 13, 2009
Miami, Florida
Watching a replay of Cinergi's Livestream (here) and all the people who came up to talk to him about it, it got me thinking about something Roadster owners frequently mentioned, which are constant questions and discussions with people when you have the car out and about. IIRC, someone even mentioned that they build in "Tesla time" into any errand running that they do because they inevitably have to spend a few minutes talking to at least one person about the car, EVs etc.

Of course, when I have the time I'm happy to sing the virtues of Teslas and EVs in general, but as my delivery date nears, I'm sort of wondering about whether I can just run a quick errand or get in and out quickly when I'm in a hurry and not get stuck in a conversation for 15 minutes in the parking lot. I don't want to be rude or appear stuck up (bad advertising for Tesla!), but sometimes I'm just busy or in a hurry and won't want be able to patiently answer questions.

Any suggestions from Roadster owners, or very recent S owners, on how to politely brush people off when you don't have the time to talk? How invasive do people generally get? I've never had a car that attracted any sort of attention from anyone, so I'm a bit trepidatious about the whole thing.

Just throw them the key fob. Okay, okay... just like a busy bartender, make no eye contact and walk right by. No, that might be viewed as rude. How about, put headphones on and play some music. That way you are not rude, you just really can't hear them (actually, they will likely not even try to talk to you).

I'm concerned about this as well since my wife will be driving the car most of the time. My solution is to make up business cards possibly with a QR Code that points to this forum or maybe Max's http://www.teslarumors.com site, or maybe a blog where I can change the links to cool stuff like the Supercharger page or the MSP vs. M5 video.

Make a QR Code here: QR Code Generator. Make a QR Code. Create a QR Code. QR Code. Generate QR Code. QR Code Tracking. - Delivr

1k9bs_qrcode_20121012145831.jpg

I already planned on getting a bunch of the Model S brochures from the store and keeping them in the car -- someone with a Roadster said they routinely had to refill their stash of them because they gave so many out. Still, I'll feel bad saying, "Gotta run, but here's a brochure you can read all about this awesome car you're looking at,even though there's a real live person who can answer all your questions right in front of you!" I'm just trying to figure out how others who've dealt with this have struck the balance between friendliness and still getting on with your life, especially if it's a busy one.

The brochures work. Like many Roadster owners, I keep a stack in my car & when I want to gracefully exit a conversation, just say 'I've gotta run, would you like one of these brochures?'. I've never had anyone upset when I end the conversation that way. Usually I hear, "Oh wow, thanks! I can keep this?".

Tesla is always happy to give you a stack. I've gone through multiple cases at this point. :)

I just had a stack of business sized cards made up with TMC's website address on them...I'd use them to soften the disappointed faces of those that still wanted to talk about the Roadster when I was out of time...I mentioned to Hans at the Toronto office that closer to the arrival of the Model S, he should provide me with some of his business cards to be handed out to those who appeared to be bonafide prospects...the suspects get the TMC website cards as it would be counter productive to flood the sales office with 19 year olds wanting test drives.

As the Model S is now only weeks away, I'm going to have to get my supplies in and educate my wife on how to handle these matters...she could never understand how I could run out to the store for some milk and not return for 2 hours :biggrin:...she'll find out how this happens soon :biggrin::biggrin:

The brochures work. Like many Roadster owners, I keep a stack in my car & when I want to gracefully exit a conversation, just say 'I've gotta run, would you like one of these brochures?'. I've never had anyone upset when I end the conversation that way. Usually I hear, "Oh wow, thanks! I can keep this?".

Tesla is always happy to give you a stack. I've gone through multiple cases at this point. :)

Last edited:
+1 to Bonnie's comments.

Here's where TTS (Tesla Talking Syndrome) kicks in.

I'm sure you have had many conversations on your own time with friends family etc about this cool car you are getting. They listen politely with various levels of interest, curiosity, secptisism, and disbelief. You are able to control your TTS because they are mearly mildly interested and the conversaion is one sided and cannot possibly do the car justice.

Now you find your busy day inturupted with a person asking about your car. You are actually going to have a TTS problem because you will want to talk to them blowing off your other errands unless they are life or death.

With a Tesla right next to you, your TTS will kick in. You get to watch them soak it all in and be converted in front of your eyes. In 3-D realtime. It can be intoxicating.

I've never carried brochures or cards. Normally I'll take a few minutes to talk to people. If I can't - running late or something - I'll answer a couple of quick questions and then say, "Sorry I'm running really late" followed by, "Come and talk next time you see me", or if they're really keen "Next time you see me I'll take you for a spin".

Make a flyer with the most important information...
or a business card with the specs of the car, the tesla website and perhaps your e-mail address...

I have printed a stack of the Plug In America (We drive electric, and so can you) flyers they offer as a .pdf download, and hand one out to interested folks. I also have business cards printed up with URLs for various electric car groups, local and national. Part of my purpose is to get the local (the very few so far) EV drivers to meet up and then spread the word.

I am usually thanked very much for the flyer, as people seem to have no information about these cars, and are very interested.
Promoting electric cars is a fine hobby to have, and a Tesla makes for a terrific attention-getter vehicle!

Here's where TTS (Tesla Talking Syndrome) kicks in.

You're right -- it will be weird from being the guy who constantly wants to talk about Tesla and everyone I know is sick of hearing it from me, to going to the guy who everyone wants to talk to about his car and trying to politely get out of the conversation. This is probably karma for the incessant talking I've done with friends/family over the past 3.5 years.

I appreciate you and Bonnie et. al letting me know your experiences, especially that people are cool with getting a brochure and letting you skedaddle. That's what I was hoping, but I was getting concerned hearing some stories of new S owners, as well as the multiple people who stopped Cinergi, on a rainy day(!), to talk to him about the car.

I guess these are good "problems" to have! I can't wait until I "have" to deal with this issue in a few weeks. :wink::biggrin:

I've never carried brochures or cards. Normally I'll take a few minutes to talk to people. If I can't - running late or something - I'll answer a couple of quick questions and then say, "Sorry I'm running really late" followed by, "Come and talk next time you see me", or if they're really keen "Next time you see me I'll take you for a spin".

Canada's different -- everyone there is nice! And no one feels entitled to take someone else's time. I sometimes see celebrities eating dinner at a restaurant here and am appalled at the brazenness with which people interrupt them and bother them for autographs, pictures etc. and get angry if they don't comply. I suspect you'd never see that sort of behavior in Ottawa!

As a former EV-1 and current RAV4-EV driver, I've had this phenomenon for the last 12.5 years. It's never been a problem. On occasion, I've had to politely excuse myself, but usually I answer a few questions and we go on our way. I will probably carry a small stack of brochures, since unlike my ore two cars, the interested people can actually get one of these!!