Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Time Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is a little dusty, and the door handles really show fingerprints, so I'm going out tomorrow to get some cleaning supplies at an auto parts store to clean the car myself. Need to keep it looking in tip top shape!

I started laughing - this, right here, is a big change in my behavior. Cars with road dust have never bothered me. But I carry cleaning supplies in the Roadster and keep it shiny. I know it will be looked at and oohed ahhed over & I want it looking its best.

:)

I started laughing - this, right here, is a big change in my behavior. Cars with road dust have never bothered me. But I carry cleaning supplies in the Roadster and keep it shiny. I know it will be looked at and oohed ahhed over & I want it looking its best.

Same here. I've never cared before, just getting my old car washed by the dealership when it went in for service. Now, I'm obsessing about every drop of tree sap and rain dust, and I ran the windshield wipers once and they left an UNACCEPTABLE streak on the side of the windshield! I bought some Armor All auto glass wipes -- the guy at the store said they work well and are very convenient, but dry out over time. I told him I'll use them all up long before they have a chance to dry out!

Seriously, I feel like a walking advertisement for Tesla, and don't want to leave any sort of negative impression because of dirt and grime. I also love the way the car looks when it's all shiny and new.

Tesla called and asked if I could show my car to someone from Tampa, he traveled down with his wife and I spent about 40 minutes with them including a drive. Then I also took him out for a ride in my Roadster. At the end he offered me the chance to drive his Ferrari 458 next time I'm up in Tampa. Nice! :smile:

All the neat people here made me feel bad about my dirty Model S so I went out and washed it:smile: My excuse was a dirty EV shows that it is driven every day so that works for me most of the time.

This is all new for a lot of us. I am so unfamiliar with how to clean a car that I read the manual, and made a shopping list from it ("chamois, good quality car shampoo, soft cloth and car glass cleaner"). Trying not to screw up the car, especially because paint armor is still on my due bill!

This is all new for a lot of us. I am so unfamiliar with how to clean a car that I read the manual, and made a shopping list from it ("chamois, good quality car shampoo, soft cloth and car glass cleaner"). Trying not to screw up the car, especially because paint armor is still on my due bill!

There are some interesting YouTube videos showing ways to do a really good wash. I was particularly intrigued by the "two bucket method." Haven't tried it myself...

I've had my Model S for about a month now, but there has been no let-up in questions, curiosity, and general amazement.

Probably the most common response (after asking what kind of car it is): "All electric, there's no gas at all? I thought all-electric cars are small."

Car enthusiasts are impressed when I've discussed performance, although everybody loves the door handles, the frunk, and the center display. Range always comes up, but when you tell folks the car can go 265, there's another exclamation and then a comment like, "That's pretty good, I didn't know they can go that far."

I have to admit that the questions are fun, but there are times when they can become a bit tedious. In any event, the TM field sales force (us) happily continues its work.

Last edited:
I'm actually looking forward to fielding the questions once I get my car. I wear a Tesla jacket a lot.
I am in the car business and at dealerships quite often, so many people ask about the jacket. Most people there have never heard about the car and are intrigued when I bring it up. The best comment was when I was at a supplier, they said is that jacket for Tesla the band? They were surprised that I would like that type of music I guess. Lol

Not sure if it was from this thread, but I got a great tip from Brandon (my DS) about how to clean the touchscreen. If you're using a microfiber cloth (like for eyeglasses), just fold it over once or twice and voila! You can clean the whole screen without setting off a thousand prompts. Even the top part that has the most streaks and is always on. Great tip!

He also advised using knuckles to use the touchscreen (to avoid oil from fingertips getting on the screen) and on the door handles, which get prints very quickly and show badly.

Well, I'm looking forward to doing some more formal presentations already, and I don't have my car yet; my babysitter's schoolteacher wants me to come out and talk about the S when it comes (he showed WKTEC movie in class, along with a few other classics), and he was pumped when she told him she knew someone getting a Tesla! I also am a part of our regional "South East Transition Initiative" group, and I did a workshop presentation on my home photovoltaic array last year, and so there's another group that will get a formal Tesla Talk. I'll likely drive it out to a Manitoba Electric Vehicles Association meeting sometime as well in late winter. I should probably ask Tesla for some promotional materials... Oh yeah, and I'm counting on having my car for Christmas family gatherings where I have a lot of rich uncles that would love to see one in person before buying one, I really hope to make some sales there. (My Christmas present to you... I drive my car around the block a few times!)

I kept telling myself "I'm not that guy" the kind of guy that dotes over his car. Now that I have it the Tesla gets more washings than all my previous cars combined. Have a kit in the trunk for the first time too.
So many eyeballs, so little grime.

I've had my Model S for about a month now, but there has been no let-up in questions, curiosity, and general amazement.

Probably the most common response (after asking what kind of car it is): "All electric, there's no gas at all? I thought all-electric cars are small."

Car enthusiasts are impressed when I've discussed performance, although everybody loves the door handles, the frunk, and the center display. Range always comes up, but when you tell folks the car can go 265, there's another exclamation and then a comment like, "That's pretty good, I didn't know they can go that far."

I have to admit that the questions are fun, but there are times when they can become a bit tedious. In any event, the TM field sales force (us) happily continues its work.

I was telling George B the exact same thing last night at the Miami Beach store opening (which didn't open, but that's another story) as I believe I probably was responsible for another reservation after giving a friend a quick drive yesterday morning (reaction was sort of like Will Smith in Independence Day talking about the alien fighter - "I gotta get me one of these!" That makes three, I think. That's why it's so important to communicate and communicate and especially the service attitude with the early adopters. If Tesla can continue to keep addressing the early glitches (which are minor as far as I'm concerned and well-expected), they will continue to grow the reservation book pretty quickly.

PS - next time I head up to visit my folks in DelRay, I'd love to stop by and see the prototype console....

I thought there was a post on this already, but couldn't find it when I searched. Mods, please combine if so (SORRY!)

I'm one week and one day into my Tesla ownership experience. I find myself being stopped regularly getting into and out of my car with questions, comments or questioning glances. This morning I was flagged down as I was driving to my train stations by a parent at a bus stop with his kids!

Being a nice guy, and living in a small CT, town (where everyone is now acutely aware of their community), I stopped briefly and rolled down my window. He asked about the car, how was it to drive, how long to charge, etc. We talked about how I have a solar powered home, and he wants to come by and check out both the PV system and the car (our kids are in first grade together it turns out - like I said, small town). I said yes and then I excused myself as I needed to catch a train...

I missed the train!

So, I got to use the powerful motor and wonderful handling to beat the train to the next station, and get on there.

My question is this; how much time is too much time when you are talking to people? Are we, as early adopters / owners under any obligation to talk about the car?

I've always been an environmentalist and vocal advocate of green technology and living, and truly want to get people to see this as a reasonable and attainable vehicle. However, I'm reaching the limit of my patience. Sometimes you just want to go into the grocery to buy eggs and not talk about your car. Missing a train, when I have a ton to do before year-end, is a major pain in the you-know-what. I've even had a perfect stranger as for a ride. I was flummoxed, and politely declined.

Thoughts?

I agree that Tesla Time is apt to create some challenges for those of us who still need to work or just need to get things done. I wrote GB last week suggesting that Tesla equip each Model S with several dozen brochures that can address most of the questions we are apt to receive. Haven't received an answer (and don't really expect one), but I do think that it would be great marketing for Tesla and could cut down the talk time when we need to get away.

Well, there is one question that such a brochure couldn't handle. "Can I have a ride?" :rolleyes: