Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Time Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have only had our Model S a week, and I am frankly surprised how much LESS attention it gets than our Roadster. Only a few people have come up to chat or ask about it, and they knew what it was. Most other people don't give it a second look. It feels strange after the constant attention the Roadster elicited.

We have only had our Model S a week, and I am frankly surprised how much LESS attention it gets than our Roadster. Only a few people have come up to chat or ask about it, and they knew what it was. Most other people don't give it a second look. It feels strange after the constant attention the Roadster elicited.

While we dont have a roadster and don't know how that was, but my wife and I have started planning ahead for every time we take our S out, and always say " did we plan Tesla time" into this? Because it happens every time we are out. It always gives us a smile. I even grabbed a bunch of Model S brochures from the tesla store last week and hand them out for those that have a great interest in the car.

I don't know what it is about my area, but when I walk up to the car with the greeting "you folks want the tour?" I typically get asked within a minute, "you sell these things?"

Most folks are fine with the quick frunk, trunk show and answers about how far and how to charge. Nobody is really looking to interrupt their day chatting with some random person about a pretty car.

The oddest one I've had so far was today -- I was cruising for a parking spot and a BMW 3-series had to stop for me at a T then I passed, went around and took a spot a little further down. The 3-series driver took a spot I'd passed (turning radius made that one difficult for me) and we both ended up in line at the same place. He was chatting with his buddy and when their conversation wound down he turned to me and:
Him: "how long have you had it?"
Me: "The Model S? Since.. halloween."
Him: "Nice car."
Me: "Yup. Sure is."

... and that was it. I think folks know about it now.

I assumed it would pass "under the radar" compared to the Roadster, but it turns out not nearly as much as I expected. I've been approached by curious people, thumbs up from other drivers, tailgated while they try to read the logo, etc. I think it's a bit less, but you also have to consider that it's winter out there.

While driving, I notice two things...

1. The Tesla Take Two. That's when you pass someone walking and they stop, look, turn, and look again as if they aren't quite sure what was wrong with what they just witnessed. I get a major kick out of this one.
2. The Tesla Stretch. Often appears in rear view mirror while stopped. I see heads up peering down at the back of my car trying to figure out what kind of car it is.

While driving, I notice two things...

1. The Tesla Take Two. That's when you pass someone walking and they stop, look, turn, and look again as if they aren't quite sure what was wrong with what they just witnessed. I get a major kick out of this one.
2. The Tesla Stretch. Often appears in rear view mirror while stopped. I see heads up peering down at the back of my car trying to figure out what kind of car it is.

Re #2: It would be fun to install a flip-up placard in the rear window, saying "It's a Tesla Model S!". Flick up for a few secs, then enjoy the reaction to THAT! :biggrin:

Re #2: It would be fun to install a flip-up placard in the rear window, saying "It's a Tesla Model S!". Flick up for a few secs, then enjoy the reaction to THAT! :biggrin:

Or take the Zuckerburg/Facebook approach: It's a Tesla, bitcx!!! Nevermind. That guy is a tool.

On topic, I was thinking of making some free, non-personal business cards to cover the common questions (all-electric, 0-60 in 4 seconds, 7 passengers, ~300 miles per charge, full charge X hours, free Superchargers) , provide the Tesla Motors web address, write out Made in America, etc. to cut down on Tesla Time.

My neighbor and I were just talking talking in front of our garage when a ten year old rode up on his scooter and said,"Wow, that's a Tesla!" and then the kid proceeded to recite the history of Tesla Motors, the performance characteristics of he car, a series of reasons for buying one, and shared his impressions of the car's visual appeal. I know that my neighbor was thinking about buying one, but I'm sure that the kid just cinched the deal!

Last edited:
I LOVE it when a kid is asking the questions. I stopped at Jamba Juice yesterday (whey Protein Berry for the curious). As I was getting in my Roadster, an 8 year old leaned out of the window of a passing van, asking, "Is that a Tesla???". I grinned, said yes, and told his mom that if they wanted to stop, I'd show him the car.

He was one excited boy. I gave him a Roadster brochure ("Look Mom! It's a poster when you open it up!!") and a Tesla sticker that I had in the trunk. Guaranteed he's on the website telling his parents allllll about the Model S.

Agree Doug...some of it might depend on your locale...in my town (small...pop. About 27,000), so far, the response to the S has been modest...however, on the QEW from Niagara to Toronto, many folks are taking a second glance...you can tell the ones who know it's an EV by the grin on their faces...

I assumed it would pass "under the radar" compared to the Roadster, but it turns out not nearly as much as I expected. I've been approached by curious people, thumbs up from other drivers, tailgated while they try to read the logo, etc. I think it's a bit less, but you also have to consider that it's winter out there.

It's always encouraging when the wee folks have learned about TMC...I find that many kids know far more about EV's and TMC than adults...

I LOVE it when a kid is asking the questions. I stopped at Jamba Juice yesterday (whey Protein Berry for the curious). As I was getting in my Roadster, an 8 year old leaned out of the window of a passing van, asking, "Is that a Tesla???". I grinned, said yes, and told his mom that if they wanted to stop, I'd show him the car.

He was one excited boy. I gave him a Roadster brochure ("Look Mom! It's a poster when you open it up!!") and a Tesla sticker that I had in the trunk. Guaranteed he's on the website telling his parents allllll about the Model S.

I'm approached about once a day and usually enjoy talking. Since I don't always have the time, I went to the Scottsdale Fashion Square showroom to get some brochures that I could give away. They gave me their last two reprints of the Motor Trend Car of the Year article, but didn't have ANY Model S brochures. The rep noted that since Tesla does not yet have dealer status in Arizona, they aren't allowed to pass out promotional material to prospective customers. AGGGH.

I went to my local county electronics recycling center today to drop off some stuff, and the staff there couldn't get enough of the car. They asked a million questions and took pictures. They asked me to leave the car there -- I told them not this trip, but maybe in a few years! :)

I'm approached about once a day and usually enjoy talking. Since I don't always have the time, I went to the Scottsdale Fashion Square showroom to get some brochures that I could give away. They gave me their last two reprints of the Motor Trend Car of the Year article, but didn't have ANY Model S brochures. The rep noted that since Tesla does not yet have dealer status in Arizona, they aren't allowed to pass out promotional material to prospective customers. AGGGH.

Perhaps it's time for some of the more artistically inclined to make some PDF brochures that we can print and pass out in the bad areas as Tesla won't supply any. That would supplement the QR code sticker on the car.

I've only had the car one day and I have been stopped three times. Once while coming into Starbucks a guy gave me a big thumbs up and followed me while I parked. He was taking pictures the whole time and had a ton of questions. I let him sit in the car and gave him a quick overview. The second was driving through the guard gate to get on the compound the guards all left their posts to come over and take a look at the car...needless to say the cars waiting to get on the compound were not happy. Third was a quick run to the gym at lunch and a very nice lady came up to ask "what in the world is that car" and "where do I get one". I gave her all the info and showed her the Tesla website on the browser.

It has definitely been really cool owning the car thus far!

I've had the car for a month and until this weekend, had had exactly 15 seconds of Tesla Time outside of my office (where I've given several test rides, etc).

But, this weekend I was approached by a gentleman and his kids at the grocery store -- he was already familiar with the Model S and was just excited to see one in person and interested to know if it lived up to expectations. Then last night as I went by my storage locker, a man walking his dog also knew about the Model S and asked how I liked it.

I was beginning to wonder whether I'd ever see any Tesla Time -- I had more questions about my RAV4-EV than in my first month with the Model S, but perhaps things are changing. ;-) I do need to swing by Menlo Park and get some brochures, though. I'll keep them handy in the capacious interior storage compartments. Oh, wait. :rolleyes:

I had my first run in with someone that recognized the Tesla jacket logo from the front as I was >100 feet from, and walking to my car. The guy was around 25 yrs and said ' you have an awesome Tesla!' all of I could think of was 'thanks ;>' If I wasn't in a bit of a hurry I might have stopped to show it to him.

Most of the people who really take a look at the car are in their mid 20's from my experiences. I saw a girl mouth 'that's hot' as she was passing as a passenger in a 'well appointed' Maxima or something similar.

The Nissan dealership mechanics all loved it!

Still get the what type of car is it? ... 'Tesla' .. so what type of car is that? . . .( come on, I know you heard me ) ' Tesla'
It definitely isn't made in the US..where is it from? ... 'CA(, duh)' .It get's a little old but the reactions are worth it in the end. And the people seem more blown away to know that we can make good cars too. The ones that know about Tesla already are even more stoked to actually see one up here!

Most of my Tesla time is used for free charging ;> but that get's the S decent attention due to the parking lot that the outlet is in and I have met quite a few people briefly to tell about the S