Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Tesla Wave

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My part of Maine is a Tesla wasteland. The only ones I see sport out of state plates, so drivers visiting from NYC or Boston would probably be alarmed or confused when confronted by a stereotypically dour Mainer waving frantically.

BTW, we are NOT dour. It's a bad rap--we are warm and welcoming to people from away. You just need to get to know us. But that's a subject for another thread.

I've been enjoying being waved at by other Teslas - not so many where I live but I usually see 1 or 2 every day.

Last time I got waved at regularly I drove an ancient VW beetle (a long time ago).

The model S and X folks typically aren't so keen on waving, I guess they're either over the excitement or were doing it before it was cool :)

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I owned a dark green 2003 Jaguar for several years and people would wave at me. Now with my new (2 wks) M3, I haven't actually passed any others on the street, so no mutual waves. When I do encounter another Tesla, I'll probably do a quick headlight flick. I only know of 4 other Teslas in my immediate driving area, so we're not too common yet. I do see people looking at it from beside me when stopped at light, or from my rear view mirror.

Subaru and most other ICE group owners stopped waving, honking, RPM blipping or exhaust droning years ago.

Tesla owners typically don't care, few are enthusiasts or gear heads, grease monkeys. And fewer still want to make eye contact or talk (pre and post COVID).

No big loss.
Hate to say it but this has generally been my experience in my area as well. It’s usually some nervous developer who looks like he’s holding on for dear life.

Life is totally different in NH. When I got the car a year ago my kids actually pointed out that every Tesla owner was waving at us. I hadn't noticed.
I get a ton of attention around here. It's a novelty item.
Every single Tesla owner waves. It's a casual lift of the hand off the steering wheel.
Now my kids bark at me if I don't waveo_O

• Funny
Love the wave. We now have 3 model 3's in the hood, 2 Zoe's, one Leaf and 2 BMW 3i's.
I think that people that buy s model 3 here are just happy people. They tend to put solar
arrays on the roof as well.
Of course there is the wave we give to the bad drivers, tail gaters, and aholes on the road.
It is done by pressing the right foot firmly on the (gas) pedal.

• Funny
Love the wave. We now have 3 model 3's in the hood, 2 Zoe's, one Leaf and 2 BMW 3i's.
I think that people that buy s model 3 here are just happy people. They tend to put solar
arrays on the roof as well.
Of course there is the wave we give to the bad drivers, tail gaters, and aholes on the road.
It is done by pressing the right foot firmly on the (gas) pedal.

In your hood is it just a Tesla wave or do all EV owners wave to each other?

The hood is like the 1950's or 60's. We all wave regardless. The Tesla wave is done
with a wink. I guess its like we all won the superball and we do not want the others to
know, special hand shake to say. On the road its Tesla's 3 only.
Very, very cool i must say, to see the entire family from Grany's to babies going out.

I normally get the bird thrown back at me when I do wave.

ActualAmpleBrocketdeer-small.gif

• Funny