Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The TesLorean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no display in the Mirror. The LIN is used to let the mirror know when the lights are on, etc. It's possible that the settings are also pushed to the mirror via LIN. (Such as how much to dim, etc.)

Just for shits and giggles I hooked up the Forward Camera to SavvyCAN to see what would happen. Not a lot.

Two set of CAN lines in. It outputs ID 0x02C9 on CAN-EQ (which runs to the blind spot / adaptive cruise control module. It produces one data byte every second, the byte value is 0x02.

This could be an error code for "Why am I in a bedroom and not in a Model S", or some kind of status tickler. No data on the other CAN line CH-CAN (DG and WT-DG). I tried playing a log in (although not a car start-up log !!!! still looking for these !!!! ) but the data out of the camera didn't change. I even showed it a speed limit sign - nothing - which technically means it recognizes speed limit signs as well as a human does :)

Monocamera assembly
(P) TPN: 1038482-99-1
(s) TPN: A14K0000983

Covered sticker
Monocamara Assembly (sp?)
1038482-00-G REV03
0315CW0000983

No, but since the mirror is made by a supplier, this is probably built in. It's clear Tesla's ethos is to reduce the granularity in non-essential settings, so this was probably just chosen for us.

FYI, the SCCM goes to sleep to save power and will only wake up on certain control inputs (interrupts) or in the presence of CAN frames that indicate the drive rail is on.

Ingineer... stop teasing me :) I've actually fuzzed the SCCM for too many hours hoping to catch a frame that might elicit a response, but to no luck (is it just me or does Tesla over-engineer the data/frames doing simple things?). Other than a CAN frame, there are not that many other ways to signal to the SCCM to wake up... There are two 12v in, perhaps one is permanent power and the other is on ignition? Tried that, unless sequencing matters (perm on, wait..., ignition on).

The TesLorean project is to integrate technology (including the drive unit) from a Model S into a DeLorean DMC-12. The DeLorean is rear-wheel drive and rear engined.

This isn't going to be easy or quick, but it is going to be fun. On the exterior it will - to the casual observer - appear to be a DeLorean (there's only one model), but underneath the stainless steel skin will be as much Tesla Model S as I can cram in. I've got a 7in tablet in the cabin, a Tesla 17in would have meant no room for a passenger :)

After much deliberation I've selected the Model S 70D rear motor as the drive unit. It (probably) fits in the DeLorean engine bay and has a transmission configuration that (should) replace the DeLorean transmission - key is a drive shaft route to the rear wheels.

I'll be using this thread to document all the project trials and tribulations...

View attachment 168526 View attachment 168527

This may be the coolest thing I have ever run across!! If ever there was a cool car that needed a cool drive train to match, it's the DeLorean, and what better drive train to put in it then a Tesla.

Reactions: DrJeff and MP3Mike
Quick update on the TesLorean project...

Lots of powder coating on rear suspension parts and calipers. Getting closer to putting the wheel back on and starting the body/frame separation. Surprising what you can achieve with a toaster over, besides just toast.

Power Coat on Rear Parts.jpg

Got some new Tesla parts 1) Tesla PTC Heater (electric air heater) and 2) Tesla HVJB. The design previously called for the same coolant loop that cooled/heated the drive unit & batteries to also heat the cabin, but after further study the heat from the drive unit / batteries would not show up fast enough to aid in defrosting the windows (a safety requirement). The PCT heater uses battery voltage (400v) and can be instantly switched on/off and at six different heating levels. This also removes the need for a coolant loop into the airbox, so the coolant loops can stay with the batteries and drive unit.

PTC Heater Model S.jpg

Jeff

Rebuilding, upgrading the rear suspension. Left side assembled.

Interesting notes...
- New inconel bolt for the trailing arm (the stock bolt can bend and brake - a dangerous failure)
- Adjustable shocks (ride height and response rate)

Attachments

• Rear Suspension Rebuilt.jpg
    Rear Suspension Rebuilt.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 143
Reactions: scaesare
The DeLorean is an excellent EV candidate albeit lacking space for a huge battery. Borrowing high tech ready-mades puts one up against corporate attitudes opposite that experienced by e.g. drag racers who looked to the Big Three for their engine mods back 50 years or so. Today you are likely to be shut down with software traps that destroy firmware etc, so a different approach might be necessary such as extracting the entire system INTACT from the single donor EV.

With the DeLo you might be able to insert a complete Spark EV system without so much as disconnecting a single connector or at least a connector that is going to trigger a DOS attack (denial of service). The body will have to be stripped and cut apart for the extraction to succeed. But there is no huge 17 inch screen to deal with. Plus you will have more torque and horsepower than Uncle John ever dreamed of.
--

I am looking for a set of axles compatible with the 70D rear motor. I have an intermediate shaft (from the front motor) that fits the rear drive unit output - so I know the dimensions. I'll be modifying the Tesla inner axle/cv and combining it with the outer axle/cv from the DeLorean. Of course that means that I'm only concerned about the dimensions of the inner CV joint and the interface with the transmission.

From some research, it appears the CV joint specifications (at least in terms of dimensions) for the Tesla axle may be available from a cross referenced parts. So far the challenge has been getting accurate and complete dimensions on the alternative axles/cv joints.

For example a cross reference may be NI-8031 or NI-8106 from SurTrak - however the full dimensions are hard to find. I have examined approximately 24 other axles from SurTrak that could be potentially compatible.

Here's a diagram (not CAD quality) with my (not machinist precision) measurements of the tesla 70D inner cv joint...
Tesla 70D Transmission Axle Profile.PNG

Any ideas on how to get the accurate dimensions of alternative CV/axle parts?

PS. If you've got axles to sell that meet these dimensions, I'd be very interested to talk.

Thanks
Jeff

[BTW : Looking for Tesla Axles!!!]

I got the Brusa NLG513 Charger programming working today. It is a 3.3kW charger from a 2010 EV Ford Transit from the UK. It can charge a battery up to 500v,, and runs on 120-240v AC. Some challenges getting a PC to talk to the charger via RS232 (software still available on the web, but runs on XP as the most recent compatible version of Windows) - [Note: documentation identifies pin 14 and RS232 ground vs the correct pin 15].
Bruca NLG513 to Laptop.jpg
If anyone has a profile (even a non-Brusa one) to charge a 2014 Chevy Spark A123 battery, I'm all ears!!!

Jeff

Reactions: scaesare