Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Texas Delivery & Registration Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone moved personalized plates from an existing car to a new Tesla? I understand that, typically, one only can move personalized plates to a vehicle purchased from a dealer or through a private sale, but I didn't know if someone worked around that.

Frankly, I'm not all that concerned with the vanity plates, but I have 'em. I may as well keep 'em.
It's no problem. Just do that when you're at the county tax collector/assessor.

My delivery is Tuesday and Tesla wanted the paperwork signed and funding by Monday. TechCU funded today (6yr loan at 1.74%) AFTER I signed the final motor vehicle purchase agreement.

You only have to pay before the vehicle leaves California if you are not taking delivery @ a Tesla service center. e.g. A direct delivery -- something they offered to me at Christmas (before they built my car wrong and had to rebuild it)

Note this clause in the MVPA:

Delivery. We will notify you of when we expect your Vehicle to be ready for delivery at your local Tesla Service Center, or other location as we may agree to. You agree to schedule and take delivery of your Vehicle within one week of this date. If you are unable to take delivery within the specified period, your Vehicle may be made available for sale to other customers. The estimated delivery date of your Vehicle indicated in this Agreement is an estimate only and is not a guarantee of when your Vehicle will actually be delivered. If, on your behalf, we are coordinating the shipping of the Vehicle to you via a third party common carrier, you agree that delivery of the Vehicle, including the transfer of title and risk of loss, will occur at the time your Vehicle is loaded onto the common carrier’s transport (i.e., FOB shipping point). The carrier will insure your Vehicle while in transit and you will be the beneficiary of any claims for damage to the vehicle or losses occurring while the vehicle is in the possession of a common carrier. To secure your final payment and performance under the terms of this Agreement, we will retain a security interest in the Vehicle and all proceeds therefrom until your obligations have been fulfilled.

I know it's been mentioned on other threads, but Texas delivery and registration has been streamlined to the point where the word "process" really no longer applies. They now can handle all the logistics on their end, as well as collect the tax and registration fees. I paid cash, but I could have financed the TTL, as well. You just have to sign a couple other forms (for registration), but that's it. They installed the paper plates before I left--no need for the temporary sticker.

This appears to be a VERY recent development, as my DS (Dayan) mentioned that my March 11 delivery was one of the first he could handle that way (if not the first--I don't recall). I was all geared up for a visit to the courthouse, but it's just not necessary any longer. Can I get a "Hallelujah"?

Regarding the payment, Dayan mentioned that I just had to put in the funds transfer prior to driving away. That took all of about five minutes to do.

With the new developments, this was absolutely the smoothest delivery I've ever taken on a car. No F&I Guy, or anything like that. It was just a matter of initialing and signing a few things, doing the walkthrough, getting the phone charger and paper plates installed, and drive away. Beautiful.

Reactions: BerTX
I know it's been mentioned on other threads, but Texas delivery and registration has been streamlined to the point where the word "process" really no longer applies. They now can handle all the logistics on their end, as well as collect the tax and registration fees. I paid cash, but I could have financed the TTL, as well. You just have to sign a couple other forms (for registration), but that's it. They installed the paper plates before I left--no need for the temporary sticker.

This appears to be a VERY recent development, as my DS (Dayan) mentioned that my March 11 delivery was one of the first he could handle that way (if not the first--I don't recall). I was all geared up for a visit to the courthouse, but it's just not necessary any longer. Can I get a "Hallelujah"?

Regarding the payment, Dayan mentioned that I just had to put in the funds transfer prior to driving away. That took all of about five minutes to do.

With the new developments, this was absolutely the smoothest delivery I've ever taken on a car. No F&I Guy, or anything like that. It was just a matter of initialing and signing a few things, doing the walkthrough, getting the phone charger and paper plates installed, and drive away. Beautiful.
To clarify, are the paper plates from TX or from CA?