TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"The thing about [Tesla's] Ludicrous mode is that it's a façade"

Discussion in 'Model S' started by yeti, Jun 17, 2016.

1. yeti

yeti Member

Apparently, that's what an anonymous(?) Porsche engineer claims when talking about their Mission-e: Porsche Engineer Reportedly Calls Tesla's Ludicrous Mode a "Facade"

I do not have a P90D/L (I have a 70) so I cannot say much in the defense of Tesla.

However, I would definitely trust a Volkswagen engineer to know a thing or two about building facades / "e-Mission" scandals. ;-)

PS: I've owned Porsches for more than a decade and the Model S is the best car I've driven/owned. :)

• Like x 4
  2. brantse

brantse Member

"Two launches saps the whole battery. That won't be the case with the Mission E. You'll be able to run it hard, over and over; the battery will not overheat, the power control module will not overheat, and the seats will not suck."
    o_O

Honestly, what are these people thinking? They're still struggling to literally replicate the performance of a ~5 year old vehicle design, not to mention that it will probably cost double that of a comparable MS; and they have the nerve to say stuff like that?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Easy for him to say. The Porsche is a concept for now and it's years away. Maybe Porsche knows somethings about batteries that Tesla doesn't but I strongly doubt it.

Plus there's hardly anything original about the Porsche design -- most of it has been lifted directly from Telsa.

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Two different mindsets:

Tesla: "let's see what electric and digital technology can do to transform four-wheeled personal transportation"

Porsche: "let's see what electric and digital technology can add to the tried and tested Porsche formula"

Porsche have to maintain "motoring heritage" as well as cars. Too much baggage. The marque becomes a millstone.

• Like x 1
  5. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

#5 Johan, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    If the Model S is a facade them the Mission-E is a mirage (doesn't exist).

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Two launches saps the whole battery?

Given that the first sentence alone is a lie, there's no sense in trusting the rest of it.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  7. tstafford

tstafford Member

I have both a Tesla and Porsche and each is awesome in its own way. If either company can make a BEV sports car that can be tracked, I say terrific. Competition is good. Porsche can say what they want but it's all BS until they put out a product.

• Like x 3
  8. ShotgunF15E

ShotgunF15E Member

Porsche? What's that? Oh yea, I think it's that little bitty car I keep seeing way back in my rear view mirror.....

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  9. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

If you want people to read your article about computers, phones or tablets, mention Apple, preferably with an outrageous claim in the title.
    If you want people to read your article about cars, mention Tesla, preferably with an outrageous claim in the title.

• Like x 7
  10. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

Agree - click bait at it's finest.

11. EinSV

EinSV Member

#11 EinSV, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    An anonymous Porsche engineer hopes that in about 2020 the Mission E will beat the Model S's 2016 performance? Exciting news.

And here's the description of the anonymous source: a "Porsche engineer that isn't working directly on the Mission E, but seems to know a thing or two about it.

lol

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  12. Ames

Ames Member

A full 1/4 mile drag run where the car launches in Ludicrous Mode with Max Power engaged and reaches around 120 mph, with the return run and wait time for the next launch (keeping Max Power engaged), takes 2.5%. So that would be 40 of those on a single charge. If it is just launches up to say 60 mph then you could do loads more...

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  13. DillyBop

DillyBop Member

i'm surprised it's even that much. i haven't noticed any additional battery drainage since upgrading my P85D to Ludicrous, and i stand on the pedal quite a bit at all speeds.

honestly the air conditioner uses far more battery power.

14. scrmn

scrmn Member

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. KublaConn

KublaConn Member

"...proclaiming that the Mission E will be a game-changer in the world of electric cars."

Dude, the game's already been changed...and you're losing.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  16. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

17. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Hey man, I say bring it on. Tesla set the new benchmark and it's up to everyone else to come to their terms. The more the merrier. Talk is cheap though. Let's see if Porsche can deliver. They better hurry though. Telsa isn't standing still.

18. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

First you have to make something

Then you can dismiss those who make things that are inferior.

19. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

Ludicrous mode isn't the target Porsche has to shoot for. The supercharger network is. Without that an EV is just a city car.

• Like x 4
  20. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

No, he/they aren't even playing this game.

• Like x 2