Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The thing I thought I’d like the most about my Model 3 is the thing I like the least

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I’m going to catch some flak for this thread whatever I do, so I will try to head off at least some of it by saying up front that I still love my Model 3 overall, think it’s better than other EVs available at the same price point for a variety of reasons, and I have no intention of swapping it for something else. I’m sure I’ll get a flood of “well if you hate it so much why don’t you sell it!!” replies despite having said this 😆

But today I was ‘hypermiling’ down the motorway, sat behind a lorry that was doing a steady 56mph. I don’t normally try to squeeze out every last drop of efficiency like that, but my home charger is broken at the moment and rapid charging costs are ruinous, so needs must! As I did this, I became more and more annoyed that the car would frequently back off a few mph, let some distance build up to the lorry, then surge back up to my set speed (60mph), close right up to the lorry, then back off again, over and over. I find the adaptive cruise control in the Model 3 frequently does this. It doesn’t match the speed of the vehicle in front, it sort of matches the speed of the vehicle in front within a 5mph or so range, backing off and closing up again frequently. It is annoying.

I then thought back to my previous two cars that had adaptive cruise control, which were both VWs. In those cars, the speed always matched exactly to the vehicle in front. No backing off and surging forward, it was extremely precise. Why is the VW system so much better? Presumably because it uses a radar to detect the distance rather than relying on cameras.

It then occurred to me that when I bought the Tesla, I’d believed the hype about its ‘self-driving’ aids, believed it was the leader in this technology, and it was the thing I was most interested in trying out. However, I now think that in the real world, Tesla’s implementation of this is much worse than VW’s, and presumably other traditional manufacturers too. I tried the Enhanced Autopilot as well, but got my money back as, Autopark aside, it was hopeless. The thing I thought I would like most about the Model 3 is the thing I like the least.

Now, that’s ok overall. I’ve discovered over my time owning the car that there are many many things I love about this car, and overall those things make up for the crappy driver aid implementation. But I thought it worth posting my opinion in case belief that Tesla’s driver aids are more advanced than others is a reason anyone here is considering buying a Model 3. If you think that’s the car’s USP, and it is really important to you, then you will be disappointed. You’ll find loads of other amazing things about the car that you love, but you will be disappointed in the self-driving tech on UK roads in 2022.

I also know that data scientists are going to set me on fire for this thread, because I don’t understand the awesome potential of vision based systems, and that the AI models will learn and improve over time. That’s fine, but I bought a car in 2022 to work as a car in 2022. I didn’t buy the car for the joy of being part of a research project, or in the hope that in 5-10 years time it will surpass the abilities of cars that rely on radar. If you’re happy to accept lousy driver aid performance to be at the vanguard of a machine learning revolution then fine, but I just want features on my car to work now, like they did on my VWs.

But again, to repeat one last time - I prefer my Model 3 to my previous cars overall, and have no desire to get rid of it.

0x0-Model3_20.jpg

(Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc)

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are complaining about missing features that are only missing because you refuse to purchase them, with other cars you either need to buy a certain grade of car or add as an accessory. e.g. a base 3 series BMW doesn't include lane keeping, the base Kia eNiro 2 doesn't have it.
No. That's not what I wrote. by the way, BMW driving assistant plus cost 2000. not 3400 for EAP but it also works better. while bmw or kia eniro does not include for free, kia ev6 includes. there's more cars than kia or bmw in this world.
I "refuse" to purchase because I dot need car to nag me to change the lane. and the price I find for the quality/features is inadequate.

Again, can you explain, why we need all the sounds when we enable and disable AP?

So your definition is different to that from others in this thread, they were talking about moving from Lane 3 to 2 while there is lorry in Lane 1, yours is just driving past a lorry without lane change, and this is happening 'weekly'.

I am considering starting a really boring YouTube channel where I drive along the Motorway using all the FSD features and nothing at all untoward happens. Lane change is a breeze, holding the steering wheel is easy.
I get the above as well, while changing lanes, but also just driving in my lane and when lorry is on 10/11 o'clock it brakes some time. it depends on situation, but in most cases - it is soft sided lorry, maybe a bit closer to the lane markings. And it happens weekly, because I do ~500 miles a week, on avg, of which one single trip to office is 155 miles one way on M1 up to Teeside. and on almost each of those trips I get the PB. and each and every time there a lorry on the side. go figure

I am considering starting a really boring YouTube channel where I drive along the Motorway using all the FSD features and nothing at all untoward happens. Lane change is a breeze, holding the steering wheel is easy.
Really looking forward to this channel.. Can see it now... @GRiLLA driving along sipping cup of coffee <hasty cut> @GRiLLA with coffee down shirt, pretending nothing's happened, complaining about the rain while driving through beautiful sunshine because wipers are going full speed <hasty cut> @GRiLLA overtaken by model S, says "Look at that Robotaxi!", momentarily distracted as he approaches soft sided HGV, massive phantom braking episode and camera falls into footwell <hasty cut> @GRiLLA camera mounted face on, with awful 1960s Columbo style driving background, obviously trying not to show he's making the steering wheel move with his knee

Let's make it happen!

I mean that if you do have this feature (and most new cars at price of 35k + do have it by default now, is it bmw, kia or any other

No. That's not what I wrote. by the way, BMW driving assistant plus cost 2000. not 3400 for EAP but it also works better. while bmw or kia eniro does not include for free, kia ev6 includes. there's more cars than kia or bmw in this world.
Entirely seems to be what you wrote, and your example was BMW and Kia.

Again, can you explain, why we need all the sounds when we enable and disable AP?
UN/ECE Regulation 156 - Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to Automated Lane Keeping Systems
1655732396255.png

Reactions: KennethS
Entirely seems to be what you wrote, and your example was BMW and Kia.

UN/ECE Regulation 156 - Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to Automated Lane Keeping Systems
View attachment 818776
"deactivated" - which I understand.
So why there's one when activated? There's no requirement to have audio signal and other manufacturers do not have it.

because tesla is the only car where "you touch my tra la la my ding ding dong" has a meaning

eh?!
Why car should brake, when it's on TACC, even on the single lane roads?! you are getting ridiculous
bmw haven't done that a single time in 2 years I had it.
I've no idea, but we were talking about AutoPilot which is only suitable for use on "controlled access highways" which means Motorways in the UK.

Is this your experience when using TACC on a regular two way road in the UK?

eh?!
Why car should brake, when it's on TACC, even on the single lane roads?! you are getting ridiculous
bmw haven't done that a single time in 2 years I had it.
I had a Jaguar that would slam on the brakes at a particular junction on a bend near me. Always mistook cars waiting at the junction for a car in the middle of the road. My Tesla has never done this.

I've no idea, but we were talking about AutoPilot which is only suitable for use on "controlled access highways" which means Motorways in the UK.

Is this your experience when using TACC on a regular two way road in the UK?
had couple instances on TACC on M-way as well as on A road.

But still, in the video I posted above - he is not using "autopilot" - just TACC

ffs - i will record some of the dash cam clips, once I will remember to do so for the sake of ****ing argument as this is ridiculous, since looks like you claim it never happens to you, and looks like we are doing something wrong.

Last edited:
had couple instances on TACC on M-way as well as on A road.

ffs - i will record some of the dash cam clips, once I will remember to do so for the sake of ****ing argument as this is ridiculous, since looks like you claim it never happens to you, and looks like we are doing something wrong.
If nothing else it’s worth reporting it to Tesla as a bug so they can dedicate some resources to improve it.

I had ACC/TACC on an Audi back in 2014 and it was great but had its quirks (including phantom and no breaking). I always used it with caution and trying to anticipate how it was reading each situation which perhaps made it more stressful than actually just driving. I was hoping Teslas would be better, but doesn’t like it sadly.

Is this your experience using TACC on a two way road in the UK then? Breaks for every truck going the other way?
what difference it makes, if it brakes on every approaching truck or only once in a day, once in a week, once in a young moon, on approaching truck, sitting in your lane on motorway, changing lanes or whatever? Symptoms are exactly like in this video. Car just slams on the brakes for no apparent reason. this simply should not be happening.

there is a reason why authorities are investigating this.

but you can live in denial.