Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The thing I thought I’d like the most about my Model 3 is the thing I like the least

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know I’m going to catch some flak for this thread whatever I do, so I will try to head off at least some of it by saying up front that I still love my Model 3 overall, think it’s better than other EVs available at the same price point for a variety of reasons, and I have no intention of swapping it for something else. I’m sure I’ll get a flood of “well if you hate it so much why don’t you sell it!!” replies despite having said this 😆

But today I was ‘hypermiling’ down the motorway, sat behind a lorry that was doing a steady 56mph. I don’t normally try to squeeze out every last drop of efficiency like that, but my home charger is broken at the moment and rapid charging costs are ruinous, so needs must! As I did this, I became more and more annoyed that the car would frequently back off a few mph, let some distance build up to the lorry, then surge back up to my set speed (60mph), close right up to the lorry, then back off again, over and over. I find the adaptive cruise control in the Model 3 frequently does this. It doesn’t match the speed of the vehicle in front, it sort of matches the speed of the vehicle in front within a 5mph or so range, backing off and closing up again frequently. It is annoying.

I then thought back to my previous two cars that had adaptive cruise control, which were both VWs. In those cars, the speed always matched exactly to the vehicle in front. No backing off and surging forward, it was extremely precise. Why is the VW system so much better? Presumably because it uses a radar to detect the distance rather than relying on cameras.

It then occurred to me that when I bought the Tesla, I’d believed the hype about its ‘self-driving’ aids, believed it was the leader in this technology, and it was the thing I was most interested in trying out. However, I now think that in the real world, Tesla’s implementation of this is much worse than VW’s, and presumably other traditional manufacturers too. I tried the Enhanced Autopilot as well, but got my money back as, Autopark aside, it was hopeless. The thing I thought I would like most about the Model 3 is the thing I like the least.

Now, that’s ok overall. I’ve discovered over my time owning the car that there are many many things I love about this car, and overall those things make up for the crappy driver aid implementation. But I thought it worth posting my opinion in case belief that Tesla’s driver aids are more advanced than others is a reason anyone here is considering buying a Model 3. If you think that’s the car’s USP, and it is really important to you, then you will be disappointed. You’ll find loads of other amazing things about the car that you love, but you will be disappointed in the self-driving tech on UK roads in 2022.

I also know that data scientists are going to set me on fire for this thread, because I don’t understand the awesome potential of vision based systems, and that the AI models will learn and improve over time. That’s fine, but I bought a car in 2022 to work as a car in 2022. I didn’t buy the car for the joy of being part of a research project, or in the hope that in 5-10 years time it will surpass the abilities of cars that rely on radar. If you’re happy to accept lousy driver aid performance to be at the vanguard of a machine learning revolution then fine, but I just want features on my car to work now, like they did on my VWs.

But again, to repeat one last time - I prefer my Model 3 to my previous cars overall, and have no desire to get rid of it.

0x0-Model3_20.jpg

(Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc)

Last edited by a moderator:
Completely disagree. Autopilot and ease of ping distance charging were the only reasons I bought an S, then a 3 and then a Y. More than happy with it. Autopilot is just great.
What are you comparing autopilot with? Sounds like you’ve had Teslas a while.

ETA. Just seen the next reply saying you’re from the US. In that case our experiences are probably not comparable. UK urban/extra-urban traffic is VERY different to the North American version. Similarly our Motorways are very different to Interstates.

Either way, having to re-engage autopilot after every single lane change is a complete ball ache, I do it dozens of times in a 30 mile motorway journey.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Either way, having to re-engage autopilot after every single lane change is a complete ball ache, I do it dozens of times in a 30 mile motorway journey.
This +100
The current system completely ruins the so-called ‘driver assistance’ aspect by requiring you to re-enable autosteer every single lane change. Very clunky. It’s easier just to drive the car manually.

Tesla needs to provide an option for autosteer to automatically Re-engage after a lane change.

This +100
The current system completely ruins the so-called ‘driver assistance’ aspect by requiring you to re-enable autosteer every single lane change. Very clunky. It’s easier just to drive the car manually.

Tesla needs to provide an option for autosteer to automatically Re-engage after a lane change.
There is a even a better option. Tesla will automatically do lane changes with a click of the stalk.

You just have to pay for EAP. Just like you pay for any L2 system from other companies.

For free you get smart cruise plus lane keeping.

There is a even a better option. Tesla will automatically do lane changes with a click of the stalk.

You just have to pay for EAP. Just like you pay for any L2 system from other companies.

Unfortunately this doesn’t work reliably. In my experience the auto lane change frequently fails and then you still end up manually activating autosteer.

Other cars from other manufacturers have the ability to automatically activate lane-centering.

I don’t actually want auto lane change, I’d prefer to change lanes manually and then the car automatically engage autosteer.

Other cars from other manufacturers have the ability to automatically activate lane-centering.

I don’t actually want auto lane change, I’d prefer to change lanes manually and then the car automatically engage autosteer.
Yes, my wife's little Fiat 500e EV does this perfectly.

Indicate, start moving lane & auto steer temporarily disables until the car detects you are fully in the new lane at which point it re-enables automatically. No drama, no resistance on the wheel & no sounds. Exactly how it should be.

I know I’m going to catch some flak for this thread whatever I do, so I will try to head off at least some of it by saying up front that I still love my Model 3 overall, think it’s better than other EVs available at the same price point for a variety of reasons, and I have no intention of swapping it for something else. I’m sure I’ll get a flood of “well if you hate it so much why don’t you sell it!!” replies despite having said this 😆

But today I was ‘hypermiling’ down the motorway, sat behind a lorry that was doing a steady 56mph. I don’t normally try to squeeze out every last drop of efficiency like that, but my home charger is broken at the moment and rapid charging costs are ruinous, so needs must! As I did this, I became more and more annoyed that the car would frequently back off a few mph, let some distance build up to the lorry, then surge back up to my set speed (60mph), close right up to the lorry, then back off again, over and over. I find the adaptive cruise control in the Model 3 frequently does this. It doesn’t match the speed of the vehicle in front, it sort of matches the speed of the vehicle in front within a 5mph or so range, backing off and closing up again frequently. It is annoying.

I then thought back to my previous two cars that had adaptive cruise control, which were both VWs. In those cars, the speed always matched exactly to the vehicle in front. No backing off and surging forward, it was extremely precise. Why is the VW system so much better? Presumably because it uses a radar to detect the distance rather than relying on cameras.

It then occurred to me that when I bought the Tesla, I’d believed the hype about its ‘self-driving’ aids, believed it was the leader in this technology, and it was the thing I was most interested in trying out. However, I now think that in the real world, Tesla’s implementation of this is much worse than VW’s, and presumably other traditional manufacturers too. I tried the Enhanced Autopilot as well, but got my money back as, Autopark aside, it was hopeless. The thing I thought I would like most about the Model 3 is the thing I like the least.

Now, that’s ok overall. I’ve discovered over my time owning the car that there are many many things I love about this car, and overall those things make up for the crappy driver aid implementation. But I thought it worth posting my opinion in case belief that Tesla’s driver aids are more advanced than others is a reason anyone here is considering buying a Model 3. If you think that’s the car’s USP, and it is really important to you, then you will be disappointed. You’ll find loads of other amazing things about the car that you love, but you will be disappointed in the self-driving tech on UK roads in 2022.

I also know that data scientists are going to set me on fire for this thread, because I don’t understand the awesome potential of vision based systems, and that the AI models will learn and improve over time. That’s fine, but I bought a car in 2022 to work as a car in 2022. I didn’t buy the car for the joy of being part of a research project, or in the hope that in 5-10 years time it will surpass the abilities of cars that rely on radar. If you’re happy to accept lousy driver aid performance to be at the vanguard of a machine learning revolution then fine, but I just want features on my car to work now, like they did on my VWs.

But again, to repeat one last time - I prefer my Model 3 to my previous cars overall, and have no desire to get rid of it.

View attachment 819366
(Featured Image Courtesy of Tesla, Inc)
I mean… the car doesn’t want you tailgating. Lol. It’s overruling safety despite your wishes for efficiency. I get your point and I’m not trying to give you flak brother.. But, first world problems amiright?

I can forgive the fsd issues and the early development problems with some advanced tech like Tesla vision, even the phantom braking to some extent but for me is the inability to make the very basic stuff work consistently.

We only just got dab radio icons, the auto lights and wipers are the stuff of parody and a comedy sketch writers dream.

I’ve even started having my passenger window go part down in the middle of the night. That said I expect this is my wife exiting the car and somehow leaning on the window switch.

Even when Tesla make things a little better along comes a sw update and it screws things up again.

All cars have issues but even the cheapest of cars out there these days delivers on parking sensors and auto wipers and lights, clearly, consistently and with confidence.

I am moving the m3 on this year despite the dive in resale. This however despite the foilbles above is more due to me deciding to take early retirement. I don’t need an LR or a second luxury car I’ll just replace her with a small city car.

I do get the impression though that Tesla is losing a fair bit of ground against the opposition. I had hoped we’d see a baby Tesla out before I retired and I’d trade in for one but not sure I’ve much hope of that happening whilst elons focus is external to the company on all sorts of ever more ridiculous ventures.

Yes, my wife's little Fiat 500e EV does this perfectly.

Indicate, start moving lane & auto steer temporarily disables until the car detects you are fully in the new lane at which point it re-enables automatically. No drama, no resistance on the wheel & no sounds. Exactly how it should be.

and now tesla has auto-cancel indicators it knows when you've completed a lane change... come on Tesla!

For me, general AP is fine - but would like the auto-reengage without the bonging on lane changes. Biggest gripe which is the thing I thought would be the best, is in start/stop traffic. Manually its super easy for me to just let off the brake and it'll creep forward, then blend in a little throttle if needed, then back off if I see cars ahead starting to slow. The Tesla is *way* too on/off for my liking. I turn it off even with just me in the car as its uncomfortable and I expect annoys cars behind me. Never use it with family in the car or I'll get 'that look'..

EAP for £3.4k is a joke.

L2 on my Disco was part of the Driver Assist pack that also added 360 cameras, a system to alert you of approaching vehicles when in reverse and a system that warned passengers if a cyclist or car was coming if they were about to open a door. It cost £950. Tesla want 3.5 times as much money for a fraction of the added functionality.

Unfortunately this doesn’t work reliably. In my experience the auto lane change frequently fails and then you still end up manually activating autosteer.

Even better. £3.4k for something that doesn’t work 😂

Reactions: positiv and CWT3LR
Even better. £3.4k for something that doesn’t work 😂
But you get so many extras with EAP!

Like Summon! Smart Summon! Auto Park!

Errr, as soon as they have figured out how to see objects in the dark using cameras because they decided to save fifty quid a car on USS.....

And- Navigate on Autopilot - which my TomTom replicated a dozen years ago!

Value for money has never really been Tesla's strongest selling point.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
and now tesla has auto-cancel indicators it knows when you've completed a lane change... come on Tesla!

For me, general AP is fine - but would like the auto-reengage without the bonging on lane changes. Biggest gripe which is the thing I thought would be the best, is in start/stop traffic. Manually its super easy for me to just let off the brake and it'll creep forward, then blend in a little throttle if needed, then back off if I see cars ahead starting to slow. The Tesla is *way* too on/off for my liking. I turn it off even with just me in the car as its uncomfortable and I expect annoys cars behind me. Never use it with family in the car or I'll get 'that look'..
Absolutely. I used to use ACC constantly in stop start traffic in my Land Rover. The Tesla version is a jerky joke. Such as easy thing to get right, so badly implemented.

What are you comparing autopilot with? Sounds like you’ve had Teslas a while.

ETA. Just seen the next reply saying you’re from the US. In that case our experiences are probably not comparable. UK urban/extra-urban traffic is VERY different to the North American version. Similarly our Motorways are very different to Interstates.

I do a 100 mile commute. At the end of the M4, it reduces to 2 lanes, and is fast dual carriageway from then on. As someone who likes to think of himself as a courteous driver, I return to the left lane as soon as safe and convenient to do so, and set ACC to 72mph. I must use the right stalk 100 times or more each journey.

I think I might become like an Audi driver and just camp in the right lane to stop the infernal switching and bonging.

I do a 100 mile commute. At the end of the M4, it reduces to 2 lanes, and is fast dual carriageway from then on. As someone who likes to think of himself as a courteous driver, I return to the left lane as soon as safe and convenient to do so, and set ACC to 72mph. I must use the right stalk 100 times or more each journey.

I think I might become like an Audi driver and just camp in the right lane to stop the infernal switching and bonging.
The same, although only 30 miles of M4 in each direction for me. I’ve caught myself once or twice staying in lane for longer to pass another vehicle rather than going through the jerk bong process two extra times.

“It’s the tech you’re paying for” 🤣🤣🤣

So I have a MY (over here in the States, well my wife does) and I have the Ioniq 5. Driving over here is much more suitable to EAP/FSD than in the UK i'd say - although i'd still not use it in Cali or any city lol. One thing though is that I do prefer driving on AP on the Tesla than the Ioniq 5 equivalent, it seems a lot more smoother (although you don't get any phantom braking on the i5). I do have the MY on order for when i come back to the UK in May, but without FSD, I may look into EAP eventually but not FSD

In response to someone who mentioned the FSD subscription model, yes over here it is $199pm and on road trips its is very good, but again the amount of traffic over here is generally less and the roads are wider.